What's new

Zod bad habits rehab thread

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Zod has way too many bad habits, especially if played online. I know I at least have identified them and need to work in them. A lot of you also play online and also have some bad habits that probably should be addressed. Remember, the worst bad habits are one you think are not ones, especially if they seem to work. For example, I use Zod charge waaaaay to much because people online do not block.

Other of my bad habits:
Trying to throw out trait raw against zoners.
Using Bite as an answer to pressure when they are close
Not ending strings with ground blast
Parry on wake up
Lack of backdash

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Dude all I do is wakeup attacks. I need to get in the habit of trying to read more. Phantom strike isn't fully invincible and if they jump they can land and combo you. If zod charge is blocked it blows, but I like it when they jump cause you either hit them or end up 3/4 screen away. But either way I need to block more when I get knocked down. Especially in the initial part of the match because then you can train them to think your gonna block then pow! See you fuckers in the phantom zone. I also need to clean up my inputs. Maaaaaan do I throw out a lot chincy inputage lol. I also need to quit mashing trait after I summon my Sam Wheat because there is that slight delay when he comes in, and I always get ahead of myself and try and use him while I can't and get blown up lol.

Sent from Sam Wheat in the Phantom Zone. now Free

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I can't do IA Zodnuts online, especially on the left side

I'll check you with air dashes even if you're still blocking

I forget I have a trait button even though I mash it playing Bane

I usually tell people I just picked him up when I lose with him

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Here are some of mine:
-F21u2 xx zod ball when I am not 100% sure it will hit
-Lack of d12 xx mb laser usage
-Lack of backdash
-Lack of j1 (Using j2 which I also think is pretty good, but j1 is amazing)
-Unsafe zod charges
-lack of throw (Zod has very good throw range. 112 on block sets up a throw very nicely. Phantom Strike on block followed by throw will eat almost every attack, but will whiff if they just block)
-Lack of air zod charge to cross over the opponent and gain ground
-Lack of zod slashes combined with interactables (Pig is amazing at doing this)

Other people's bad habits:
-Lack of f2 xx trait grab/slash~11d2
-Lack of air/ground mb zod balls to cover trait activation (Except against certain MU's. Sinestro welcomes the balls so he can charge trait for free and change the matchup in his favor)
-Lack of fully charged lasers in zoning gameplan. Since it is dash cancelable a lot of people will be forced to deal with this by blocking some times.
-Lack of good set ups in to trait activation (Still need to find better ones myself)

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
for me a have a lot of the issues as everyone else,but my biggest blunder is JUMP BACK ZOD CHARGE! I f'ing scold myself evertime I pull his out on the cuff for no reason.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Like, half of what SimSim said aren't that bad. Laser zoning for example. Why would you do that? I mean, it's 26 frame startup and doesn't control any space. Or some of the more complicated wraith stuff.

SimSim

Like, half of what SimSim said aren't that bad. Laser zoning for example. Why would you do that? I mean, it's 26 frame startup and doesn't control any space. Or some of the more complicated wraith stuff.

Because it does massive chip damage, is something like -1 on block, has a big hitbox (Can hit opponents from full screen), can be canceled if you see they move away right away. I usually start charging it after getting zod balls on the screen/get a knock down/hit with side arm etc. but some times threaten with it in the neutral game from afar too.

What I said isn't complicated trait stuff. It's very basic:eek: It's an important part of Zod's pressure with trait imo.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
me:

Poor wake up use
Poor captilization in f21u2 (i mostly never do it)
probably a lot more stuff too

Colonel-Gilgamesh

I dunno if not using f21u2 is a bad thing really. Unsafe string is unsafe, and doing f213 MB or regular PS/ ground laser still has useful applications and damage if used instead. I've stopped using the string altogether.

SimSim

I dunno if not using f21u2 is a bad thing really. Unsafe string is unsafe, and doing f213 MB or regular PS/ ground laser still has useful applications and damage if used instead. I've stopped using the string altogether.
Punishes and (in theory) hit confirms, at least from jump ins:)

SimSim

I think this combo does more damage than b3 etc from an empty trait grab.
The ideal is fully charged laser-> j2 xx zod ball x2 in to follow up I think, or b3, dash, neutral jump 2 (crossup) xx zod ball x3. These are a little hard to execute consistently though. In the corner I some times like to go for f21u2 xx zod ball loop and finish with j3 zod charge for the corps hop, but fully charged laser is better also here!

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I think this combo does more damage than b3 etc from an empty trait grab.
I don't think so. A full charged laser into whatever combo you do (after trait grab so we're not forgetting) gets more damage. I'm drifting away from using F2,1,U2 almost completely.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
squirt would wakeup zod charge me with his back to the corner. no bueno. Stop waking up all the time Squirt! your Zod is looking better each day though :)

EDIT: all these NRF herders picking up Zod makes me wanna start learning him

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I don't think so. A full charged laser into whatever combo you do (after trait grab so we're not forgetting) gets more damage. I'm drifting away from using F2,1,U2 almost completely.

Yeah I don't use it yet but from what I've seen in tournament, people prefer doing b3, ji3, f213 bf3 than anything else (probably because it's more consistent) and here I'm saying that f23u1 balls is better and as easy to do.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
mine:
- I keep on doing zod charge on wakeup
- zod charge after a few seconds of seeing the opponent standing still (I catch a lot with this tho lol)
- lack of trait slash when Im going to rush the opponent with trait mixups
- forgetting to pick the MOS skin.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I don't know about bad habits but my execution with zod is absolutely appalling,there's nothing more heartbreaking than having trait out and going for a full screen laser and getting the close 1 and meter burning it by accident.lol

10ish days ago I hit my first 45% combo off of trait+MB ground blast mix up and now I can't hit 213 off of b3, j3 for the life off me. Sometimes its 123, other times I get 21xxPalm or charge and its getting annoying. I can get it 100% offline but this recent change in my execution has made my online life harder.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Hello generals! I have been doing something lately and I feel like its really going to pay off. If you go into practice mode and set the CPU to block random, you can practice hit confirming your stings. I don't know if any of you already do that but it crossed my mind the other day to see what that block setting meant, and its perfect for that.

Sent from Sam Wheat in the Phantom Zone.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Because it does massive chip damage, is something like -1 on block, has a big hitbox (Can hit opponents from full screen), can be canceled if you see they move away right away. I usually start charging it after getting zod balls on the screen/get a knock down/hit with side arm etc. but some times threaten with it in the neutral game from afar too.

What I said isn't complicated trait stuff. It's very basic:eek: It's an important part of Zod's pressure with trait imo.
yeah why wouldn't u use heat vision to zone? thats a safe fullscreen 50/50 combo with wraith out if they block incorrectly.