What's new

zatanna vs aquaman unwinnable or am i just bad?

i hate this fight so much it feels like i cant get much of anything going and have to sit on the defensive while i have to approach him. now it wouldnt be much of a problem if i didnt have so many goddamn aquaman players on my friend list so i end up playing against aquaman more then i like. he punishes teleports with his uber uppercut on reaction. i tried using ex fireball but it just doesnt do wonders against this guy. z's trait also seems like its impossible to use against him. so what do we do against this guy? i never felt this lost and angry before but the more i play it seems like it gets slowly worse as the aquaman players adjust to her tricks. am i just really bad at this game? i really cant think of any other conclusion right now and its making me want to take a break from the game...

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Use one hit launchers or air launchers. No idea what Zatanna's are.

People see a teleport in this game and assume it is a free win button. Teleports are stupid punishable on reaction because if they were not the game would become a teleport fest. The only time you should teleport is when your opponent whiffs a move, is at a huge disadvantage, or you read a pattern in their gameplay. You shouldnt even use it on wakeup because it can be easily baited and half the time a bug will cause you to just appear in front of the opponent.

Aquaman fucks a lot of characters in this game though, that trait is BS.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
You know what pisses us aquaman players off? Fake jumps ins. Especially ones that have a dive kick. Cant she sir teleport too? Id try the dive kick out. Especially since the ex version can take out aquamans trait for a full combo

Nutrient

Lex Flex
You're just bad

How do you expect to beat an aqua player when the character was available day 1?
Not to mention he's top tier

Zatanna is barely even understood at this stage
Practice with the character, become better.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Use one hit launchers or air launchers. No idea what Zatanna's are.

People see a teleport in this game and assume it is a free win button. Teleports are stupid punishable on reaction because if they were not the game would become a teleport fest. The only time you should teleport is when your opponent whiffs a move, is at a huge disadvantage, or you read a pattern in their gameplay. You shouldnt even use it on wakeup because it can be easily baited and half the time a bug will cause you to just appear in front of the opponent.

Aquaman fucks a lot of characters in this game though, that trait is BS.
None of her strings launch till second hit. We only have f3 and that is stupid slow

As for trait, activate and cancel with lighting cage, then begin your pressure. Every time the aquaman blocks a move, lighting cage, you'll stuff up his punish (obviously as they begin to understand the MU, this will become more mindgamey). Zatanna's trait is only really used to build meter. Zoning characters out in trait is very difficult unless your versing non projectile characters.

You're just bad

How do you expect to beat an aqua player when the character was available day 1?
Not to mention he's top tier

Zatanna is barely even understood at this stage
Practice with the character, become better.
because ive beaten the same people before on the same day with zod when he came out. i was at least competitive with zod. with zatanna i feel like its a joke and i cant even get 1 game our of the hours i play with these guys. i have over 500 games played zatanna in total so far. half of them are against the aquaman players. ive been neglecting zod for the past 3 days and playing nothing but zatanna but this match seems to be getting harder and harder as it goes on. i just wants some tips from you guys on how to beat aquaman. i keep getting told to practice and get better but thats exactly what ive been doing for the past 3 days. so can i get some actual tips and advice on how to beat this guy? thats all im asking for. sorry if this sounds bitchy but im just sick of losing bad for hours every day

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Yea but ita two commands for now teleport, you'll see it coming before hand
You know what pisses us aquaman players off? Fake jumps ins. Especially ones that have a dive kick. Cant she sir teleport too? Id try the dive kick out. Especially since the ex version can take out aquamans trait for a full combo

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i hate this fight so much it feels like i cant get much of anything going and have to sit on the defensive while i have to approach him. now it wouldnt be much of a problem if i didnt have so many goddamn aquaman players on my friend list so i end up playing against aquaman more then i like. he punishes teleports with his uber uppercut on reaction. i tried using ex fireball but it just doesnt do wonders against this guy. z's trait also seems like its impossible to use against him. so what do we do against this guy? i never felt this lost and angry before but the more i play it seems like it gets slowly worse as the aquaman players adjust to her tricks. am i just really bad at this game? i really cant think of any other conclusion right now and its making me want to take a break from the game...
Do not feel bad or listen to the clueless fools in this thread. The match up is unwinnable, indeed, for the following reasons.

- She cannot punish trident, which negates trait and any type of distance game.
- If you attempt to teleport near Aquaman, he can simply do an uppercut, which punishes back and front teleport.
- If by some miracle you do make a good read and teleport as Aquaman whiffs the trident, you get little to no damage because of trait activation.
- Speaking of Aquaman's trait, Zatanna's damaging combos consist of multiple hits, which means combos do not exist in this match.
- However, Aquaman has access to his combos. He can do 40% using one bar after b+1,2., 45% using backgrounds, and 50%+ using the Tom Brady OTG.
- Aquaman has the superior footsies because he has much, much more range on his normal attacks.

This match up is 10:0.

Zatanna may be solid otherwise.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
How much have you explored this match up in the lab?

Have you seen what you can do off all his strings?? what about a blocked D2.

What about off blocking all his specials, including from the deep from all screen distances?

Also if you jump do you know how high to be to levi cancel so a From the Deep will not hit you?

Do you know what happens if you do her mirage 3 chick thing and he does a from the deep?

Have you tested his punishes off all your projectiles and set ups?

She has a 5 frame standing jab, can that inturupt anything? can it punish anything he does.

Maximus, my advice is to take it to the lab, on paper this seems bad, but I don't think there are any 10-0 match ups in this game.

Aquaman is a simple character to play, Zatanna takes mind games and doing crazy shit, so if you are too busy trying to do crazy shit and he's just standing there letting you hang yourself then you need to re think your approach to the match.

The downplaying of Zatanna really needs to stop.

People weren't expecting a setup character. But why weren't they? How many times did NRS said she relies on tricks and mind games during the demonstration???

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Do not feel bad or listen to the clueless fools in this thread. The match up is unwinnable, indeed, for the following reasons.

- She cannot punish trident, which negates trait and any type of distance game.
- If you attempt to teleport near Aquaman, he can simply do an uppercut, which punishes back and front teleport.
- If by some miracle you do make a good read and teleport as Aquaman whiffs the trident, you get little to no damage because of trait activation.
- Speaking of Aquaman's trait, Zatanna's damaging combos consist of multiple hits, which means combos do not exist in this match.
- However, Aquaman has access to his combos. He can do 40% using one bar after b+1,2., 45% using backgrounds, and 50%+ using the Tom Brady OTG.
- Aquaman has the superior footsies because he has much, much more range on his normal attacks.

This match up is 10:0.

Zatanna may be solid otherwise.
And we know your always right in these kind of discussion, right? *coughs*ZOD*coughs*

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Which point made above is wrong?

Do you know a way to punish trident anywhere the screen? A combo that ignores trait? A way to challenge him in footsies?
Did you know zod had a 26 hit frametrap 3 days after he was released?

Seriously every problem you gave can be countered by one of zatannas specials.

Its ridickilous to say she cant punish trident.
Its ridickilous to say that aquamans trait makes zatannas combos useless because of the multiple hit. Are you serious? You got to be.

Smh

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
yeah, I too struggle with this matchup. I was playing the AI on hard and when I got to aquaman, I found it difficult to take just 1 match, I cannot imagine playing this against a person (or even worse, online). So yeah, my initial reaction is that this is a bad matchup.

I will have to play it a bit more, but I dont look forward to it lol..I'm with general m2dave on this one.

Good luck punishing from the deep =)

Did you know zod had a 26 hit frametrap 3 days after he was released?

Seriously every problem you gave can be countered by one of zatannas specials.

Its ridickilous to say she cant punish trident.
Its ridickilous to say that aquamans trait makes zatannas combos useless because of the multiple hit. Are you serious? You got to be.

Smh
zatanna cant punish his trident at all while he can punish multiple specials from zatanna. how is zatanna supposed to combo aquaman when all her launches are 2 hit strings or multiattacks?

meter fireball is useless vs him cause trident
puppet master is useless vs him cause easy punish with trident
ring toss isnt good vs him cause trident
smoke and mirrors is useless vs him cause trident
trait is near impossible to use vs him cause trident
teleprt is to risky vs him cause trident tracks and teleporting behind him gets blown up by uppercut

to me it looks like general m2dave is only guy here who has played competitive aquaman with her to see how dumb this match is. you guys have no clue until you exp it for yourself. this could end up being z's worst match by far!!!

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
zatanna cant punish his trident at all while he can punish multiple specials from zatanna. how is zatanna supposed to combo aquaman when all her launches are 2 hit strings or multiattacks?

teleprt is to risky vs him cause trident tracks and teleporting behind him gets blown up by uppercut

to me it looks like general m2dave is only guy here who has played competitive aquaman with her to see how dumb this match is. you guys have no clue until you exp it for yourself. this could end up being z's worst match by far!!!
Allright you win. Its a unwinnnable matchup. Time to move move on. Nothing to see here.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
you are just bad. Your friends have played aquaman for months you have played her for a day, its stupid that you say its unwinnable go level up and stop threads like this after a character has just been released

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

all those things you say work for aquaman in all his match ups, does he 10-0 everyone then?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I fight the best Aquaman player in the world. These fools fight scrubs and try to talk smart on TYM.

Redk9

Noob
If your argument only consists of "Zatanna has only been out for a few days, you can't know if the match up is unwinnable" you should probably stop posting. That is not a valid argument. If you don't have an answer on what Zatanna can do to win the match up, you should probably stop posting.

skumz

Give it some time. You just need more experience with the matchup using her. But you will be alright.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2