What's new

"You're No Warrior!"- Hawkgirl General Discussion (1.06 and onward)

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
But Doomsday's MB gives him armor. Hawkgirl has no armored moves so she struggles to get in against zoning. She has MB air mace-toss to try to go over, but if the zoner can cover the air then it becomes a terrible matchup.
Right there are pros and cons to the moves, the point was her mobility doesn't require meter to be safe unlike him that does. I didn't say anything about her dealing better with zoning than Doomsday so I dunno where that comes from.

It's not as though if she can't fly she can't do anything contrary to popular belief she can walk and use wing evade to negate a lot of projectiles and she does have non-gimmicky pressure and a great comeback factor that I see very few people using effectively and the areas of spacing, footsies and baiting are really important aspects that are needed that I don't see utilized as well as they should or could be for her.

It's important to play a character in a complete way. Because you have to play a match up differently doesn't inherently make it terrible.

E

Eldriken

Right there are pros and cons to the moves, the point was her mobility doesn't require meter to be safe unlike him that does. I didn't say anything about her dealing better with zoning than Doomsday so I dunno where that comes from.

It's not as though if she can't fly she can't do anything contrary to popular belief she can walk and use wing evade to negate a lot of projectiles and she does have non-gimmicky pressure and a great comeback factor that I see very few people using effectively and the areas of spacing, footsies and baiting are really important aspects that are needed that I don't see utilized as well as they should or could be for her.

It's important to play a character in a complete way. Because you have to play a match up differently doesn't inherently make it terrible.
ESPIO BUSTING OUT DAT LOGIC.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
Hey guys! I'm picking up Hawkgirl as my secondary, as she deals with some of my bad MUs (like Flash and Grundy) pretty well. My Hawkgirl is pretty mediocre at the moment, but I look forward to improving :). Anyways, what are some general things I should know/do with Hawkgirl?

kaseyk

Noob
zoning is not an issue .
cyborg ground shots can be we3 right over , iafb can be jump mt punished . she has air stomp to ground you quickly to avoid air shots from ds zod borg . you can jump then heavenly stomp between mb zod balls aswell .
wing evade is better then armor if used right its invincible and we3 goes through armor for 11% .
ground stomp takes borg down from grapple .
the zoners aren't strong enough to keep hg out .

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Somewhat it comes from the idea that Hawkgirl is like Doomsday, but better (though that's not exactly what was said). Mostly it comes from my own frustrations ;)

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Somewhat it comes from the idea that Hawkgirl is like Doomsday, but better (though that's not exactly what was said). Mostly it comes from my own frustrations ;)
The original point is she's not bad at all. She's a character with a similar design to Doomsday. What have I said that was wrong? The points I've made were objective pretty much.

She has faster normals than him, which is true.
Better zoning definitely true.
Mobility that doesn't require meter to be safe also true.
Damage that is equal or greater.

So when you compare the two characters she should at the very least be equal to Doomsday or in a similar tier position to him which is very fair for an analysis. I think they're both around the same spot tier wise in mid tier territory. Even if I was making that case I think it's fair to say. We know they have different strengths and weaknesses because they're not 100% identical characters but at the very least she's on par with Doomsday.

I've played Doomsday a lot too, I think they're both good characters.

I think it's also important to separate our frustrations from our character.

I still say Hawkgirl is more braindead than Doomsday! :D
No way, Hawkgirl is elegant and fierce like an Eagle. Doomsday on the other hand is like a viscous bear mauling his opponents. They're both super annoying lol, but I personally really like the concept of both characters.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
who here only plays straight HG like myself? :)
I've only used Hawkgirl in offline and online competitive play so far. My Martian is really only for fun cause I like the character and always have since childhood, never used him for any other reason (too bad nobody believes me ;___; )

Plus I almost always play a male/female team haha.

And as a fan of the cartoon and classics primary Hawkgirl > All <3.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I really like her Earth 2 skin as well but default is mehhhh
Least we don't have the same problem WW and Raven had. Happy she got skins period. Really dislike they way her mask was done in her default, looks kind of ugly. Some of her concept costumes were pretty tight though (no access to links at the moment)