What's new

Your favourite martial arts movies?

POPTDP

Noob
Curious as to the favourite martial arts movies of the TYM community, given its such a large part of Mortal Kombat.

A part of why I loved MK Deception so much is how they incorporated real martial arts styles into the characters and I felt like every punch and every action I did was an actual technique in that art.

Some of my favourite martial arts movies are:
  1. The Raid 1 + 2
  2. Ip Man
  3. Ninja Assassin
  4. Bourne Identity
  5. Kiss of the Dragon
Some honourable mentions:
  • The Night Comes For Us
  • Enter the Dragon (even though there is much better choreography these days, it is a classic that started the craze)
  • The One (Jet Li)
  • Flash Point
I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

The mic is yours people:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I always like Legend of the Drunken Master, along with a lot of Jackie Chan's really old stuff, like Snake in Eagle's Shadow, where a crazy Jesus-looking priest screams in over-dubbed nonsense before getting his ass beat (and murdered) by Jackie.

Favorite Bruce Lee is probably Chinese Connection, though Return of the Dragon is awesome just because he tears out Chuck Norris's chest hair...

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
  1. Enter the Dragon (1973) - absolute classic, Bruce Lee is the master
  2. Bloodsport (1988) - Van Damme is great here, and this movie was inspiration, along with Enter the Dragon, to MK game !
  3. No Retreat No Surrender (1986) - very cool and funny movie, Van Damme is hella good fighitng here !
  4. Kickboxer (1989) - Van Damme classic, that Tong Po dude is scary
  5. The King of the Kickboxers (1990) - Loren Avedon x Billy Blanks is a fucking amazing fight !
  6. The Last Dragon (1985) - Who da Master ? Sho'nuff !
:p:D

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ooh, forgot about The Last Dragon! One day I really want to watch Gymkata...

Maus03

Noob
I always like Legend of the Drunken Master, along with a lot of Jackie Chan's really old stuff, like Snake in Eagle's Shadow, where a crazy Jesus-looking priest screams in over-dubbed nonsense before getting his ass beat (and murdered) by Jackie.

Favorite Bruce Lee is probably Chinese Connection, though Return of the Dragon is awesome just because he tears out Chuck Norris's chest hair...
I was gonna say drunken master, i watched it just a few days ago.was a really
funny movie.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
  • iron fist pillage
  • 5 deadly venoms
  • drunken master (old and new)
  • kid with the golden arms
  • master of the flying guillotine
  • enter the dragon
  • Chinese super ninjas
  • Kunoichi lady nina
  • azumi
I’m a fan of anything Shaw brothers.

Updated list because I didn't include some due to I was just concentrating on the actual martial arts parts but here it is in no particular order:

Kill bill (both 1 and 2)
Iron monkey (2001)
Fearless
Lionheart
Bloodsport
Ip man (1 and 2)
Enter the dragon
Any Donnie yen movie

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Jet Li's Fist of Legend
Drunken Master 2
Game of Death (Bruce Lee)
In the Line of Duty 4
Iron Monkey
Flash Point
Fearless
Deadly China Hero Wong Fei Hung also known as (Chiken vs Centipede)
Four Elemental Ninjas
Above the Law

Last edited:

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
The Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao/ Jackie Chan collaborations was the creme de la creme of the 80's and early 90's.

Anyone who has not watched these classic Hong Kong productions, do yourselves a favour and educate yourselves in the long shot, steady cam, long-take acrobatic choreography that took action/kung fu cinema to another level.
Those choreographies in my opinion are only matched by productions like Ong Bak, Blood & Bone, The Raid, Ip Man and Undisputed.

O fcourse everything begun in the 1970-1973 era when the LEGEND was alive.