What's new

Your Favorite Fighting Game Mechanics (POLL)

What fighting game elements do you enjoy the most?

• Total voters

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
(Multiple Votes OK!!)

People like the same things for different reasons. So in this poll, I'm interested in the fighting game mechanics that keep you playing. We're talking about gameplay elements and not modes here. So things like KOTH, Story Mode and Competitive Ranked are absent.

Instead, I'm focusing on play styles and other pieces of the puzzle. Are you happiest when you're throwing fireballs, or when you're mixing up the opponent during restands & wakeups? Maybe you like combos that are hard to do, or maybe you enjoy the counter pick game at the character select screen. For some, the ability to play as Akuma or Batman is the most important. For others, its the ability to triple jump, fly and air dash.

If you have any issues with the poll choices, please let me know. if I left out anything important to you please post it below. (FYI; If you like fanservice, feel free to vote for The Avatars. Long-Live Boobies).

Last edited:

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I like tonbe a Footies Zoner. I hate being rushed down sl over the years I tend to do well with Zoners. However I dont like characters that are all pure zoning. I need to feel like i can do somefhing up close.

Never liked guessing games and I believe unblockables shouldnt exist so that shit is out. Nevertheless seeing and oreforming setups with crazy mind games makes these games fun. It just jeeds to be toned down so it cant be vortexed over and over.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
I like heavy setup characters with hard-to-blockables. Labbing setups and examining framedata is fun. I still believe these htb setups should be somewhat blockable and escapeable with armor or similar mechanic. Safe armor shouldnt be a thing tho...

Anti-airing and footsies are also very enjoyable aspect of gameplay. Random, unreactable mixups from neutral are not.

Edit: Also, seeing new unseen high exexution combos in tournaments is always hype

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I like heavy setup characters with hard-to-blockables. Labbing setups and examining framedata is fun. I still believe these htb setups should be somewhat blockable and escapeable with armor or similar mechanic. Safe armor shouldnt be a thing tho...

Anti-airing and footsies are also very enjoyable aspect of gameplay. Random, unreactable mixups from neutral are not.

Edit: Also, seeing new unseen high exexution combos in tournaments is always hype
So wait, hard to blockables are fun but unreactable mixups aren't?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Matchup and tier list are not game mechanics, imo this shouldn't be an option.

Now as for game mechanics its really very subjective, each character plays at his own pace due the varity of tools in general for him or the opponent, unless a few things are made common, like in MK Trilogy, universal moves all had the same frame data it was fine so the type of game was basically the same with the entire cast.

IMO a fighting game needs to be responsive as possible, you need to define really well what rules you will apply and follow to the code, only then every element brought into the game need to be applied according to these rules, not against it.

In Tekken punishes starts at 10f, for a small stuff, 11f for more, 12f starts to become heavy, 13f are huge, 14f are launchers 15 are also launchers so anything under -10 is safe on block, on -13 kazuya can launch, on -14 mishimas can launch and -15 ownards the most common launches in the game can deal with it.

Tekken is a good hibrid because it has a bit of everything i've ever seen on a fighting game mechanical wise.

we have simpliest characters to play, we have easier ones to learn
We have characters who are superior strong but their performance is binded to execution barrier, which is often a nice trade.
All armor that hits high in T7 are safe if block, launch punishable on whiff, and all armor that hit mid are punishable.
You can play 50-50 on knockdowns and such.
You can play footsies and bait riskier options which gives you time to use more complicated punishes.

So tekken is a game where learning punishes and how they're divided its really big, you will rapidly learn which moves are punishable by what, since punishing in tekken is divided in classes.

Street Fighter is more of a slow paced defensive type of game, with some offense strong ones, like really good anti-airs, really good invincibility moves, or specific invincibility attacks

In SF, you have fully invincible move who are super punishable of blocked
You have projectile invincibility moves who are only invulnerable to projectiles, but are vulnerable to throws, or physical strikes
You have strike invulnerability which its only invulnerable to strikes, but weak against anything else
Same with throw invincibility which its only invincible to throws
Backdashes are fast invincible, recover fast and don't require stamina.

Characters can be built either well rounded, strong offense, or strong defense

Ibuki is a character with nearly unmatched offense, amazing walkspeed and backspeed which allows her to get in and out easy and shimmy ppl with her options, without necessarily being a oh/low 50-50 monster, Ibuki also is not really that strong in defense.

Ryu is currently weak but his archtype is supposed to be the well rounded character, neither strong offense or defense, but in between.

while street fighter is a game that provides an excellent options punishing, space control is the most important aspect of the game in general but its kinda slow paced since not every hit you get equals full combo punishes

Both this and many games, ive played or seen in the past few years did something right, they established some rules and followed to the code, so their universal mechanics don't become flawed or overpowered by something new later on, or anything later on, even if characters are affected by the tier list, it doesn't affect your game fundamentally because the options you're given to work with universally still works.

In Mortal Kombat i enjoy the fact that ever since MK3, you're rewarded for punishing heavily people who jumps often, but you're also rewarded in today's game to punish heavily on nearly any mistake they make on block or whiff, so NRS games are games that relies heavily on getting the most out of your rewards, if your character excels at anything else post punishing its a huge bonus as well, i just think NRS in general still has a long way to go tweaking their games for general linking, though i think they have a good formula, the balancing issue needs even more fine tuning, they need to follow establish and follow the rules.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
A game has to have good characters - that is the most important thing. Without it, the game is soulless.
While DOA may technically be a good game to some, it has no personality for me (it basically revolves around boobs) so I don't bother playing it. Street Fighter 2 was a major hit, not only because it was a good game, but the combatants themselves were smart character design. Good character design and decent fighting mechanics = great game.

If the next MK roster was just filled with uninspired characters like Kai, Kobra, Darius, Stryker etc and lacked the likes of Raiden, Subby, Kitana etc etc, I wouldn't even bother getting it.

Temetias

"MKX kid"
So wait, hard to blockables are fun but unreactable mixups aren't?
Yeah, I think so. Hard to blockables require setups that usually sacrifice damage. (And they should have some downscaling for the combo if the htb hits). You know exactly when it's coming and have a chance to try block it. 50/50's which just come randomly out of neutral situations and lead to massive damage aren't fun gamplay imo. Also hard to blockables should be still "blockable" with some practice and escapeable with unsafe armor.

Last edited:

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Matchup and tier list are not game mechanics, imo this shouldn't be an option.
The problem may be semantics here. So let me define Mechanics as being: "Any integral part of the game design which affects the gameplay."

Okay, so after that, let me present my argument to the court.

You'll notice that frame data can't be performed. In other words, it's not something that you can practice on your pad or fight stick. It's not a Korean Back dash, or wave dash, or uppercut; frame data is what it is. However, so much of the outcome of a match is determined by who capitalizes on their (frame) advantages and who defends correctly when they're at a (frame) disadvantage. In fact, it's so important that the player who has frame data in mind, is favored against the player that doesn't, AND, the frame specifics are inseparable from the core design of the game. Therefore, I'm confident in calling it a mechanic.

Now on to matchups. Character variety is also a mechanic in fighting games. In other genres (let's take FPS games for example) every soldier you pick is the same. They have the same walk speed, jump arch, health and stats. The only advantages that can be found between different avatars, are the players wielding them and their weapons loadout. In fighting games, this in not so. In fighters you have a roster of characters that (ideally) play significantly different from each other (besides, maybe Nid Hogg). There is no Street Fighter Only Ryu Edition.

Matchups themselves are a byproduct of multiple characters and character balancing, however, game designers take matchups into account when making the game. I believe Ono is on record for saying that Sean was designed to be a bad character in SF3. He was purposely weakened so that skilled players could give themselves a handicap when fighting their friends. Also, Yun and Yang were purposely designed to be very strong. Characters are strong or weak depending on how they match up to other characters, so matchups are a part of the game-making process.

Another example is Scorpion and Smoke in Mortal Kombat. They were designed to be anti-zoners, and therefore made to have an advantage in certain matchups.

Players take matchups and tiers into account while playing the game, obviously. But also, matchups and tiers may influence a person's decision to play a game in the first place. If a player perceives one character to be Double S-Tier and better than all of the others, he may play that game to have an advantage over people that do not use that character. Or, a player may avoid fighting games with tiers that are far apart, and may settle on a game that is very close tier-wise, so that it's hard to counter pick (Tekken right?)

BTW, Thanks for the Tekken frame data. I'm just now getting into watching competitive Tekken and playing a little bit.

Icefyre

Shadows
Well they took out my "forever main" when they removed Noob Saibot from the roster, so obviously character thematics are big for me, and probably the most important aspect in my book.

In my long journey of finding people to play as in MKX, though, I kind of fell in love with the run cancel mechanic, more so for reasons involving the "Frame Data, Frame Traps & Setups" aspect of it.

I've also always been a fan of mobility and anti-zoning capabilities. I've been told that spacing is probably my strongest aspect in MKX, but I don't typically play spacing characters. Go figure.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
BTW, Thanks for the Tekken frame data. I'm just now getting into watching competitive Tekken and playing a little bit.
Great post.

And yeah, i think Tekken has the the best universal rule when it comes to the punishing class, literally, every character has a 10 to 14f punishing, and from 14 or 15 towards, some they have launchers, except mishimas who launch at 14 but are really hard to use overall. Everyone can launch at 15 or more.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Frame Data analysis is always going to be something I like because it's always interesting to see what links. A lot of fighters don't have the button strings like MKX. But even in MKX punishing moves that go unpunished a lot is always a feel good moment. Especially when properly spaced out for a whiff punish.

But the biggest thing for me is style. I don't mean 85 Hit 45 second combos or unpractical swag but Combos have to look cool and fun to do (Completely subjective). MK has always excelled at that.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Azarashi Elder you need also to take in account that tier lists are mostly opinion on ppl that play the game, and they can shift very often over the years regardless of patching or not.

I see tier list more like a consequence of a game design rather than a mechanic itself, no one knows which character will be strong from the get go until the game meta is played into its full. There is only a few games where very specific characters are designed in mind to be top tiers.

In VF Akira has this perk, so he is designed to be stronger than the entire cast if you manage to overcome his execution barrier and game knowledge, and in Tekken the Mishimas also do.

And while Team Ninja computer labelled Akira as the top tier character with no weakness in DOA5 LR, general opinion of the public disagrees and always labels Kasumi and Ayane and then few other more before Akira itself.

Frame data its also another concept that started as a consequence, and only later on fighting games began to be built in around it for a change, except NRS, they don't seem to like this, although we think its really important do design a character with a frame data and all his options in mind.

So one thing leads to another, frame data into MU results and MU charts tend to become tier lists.

Something that really didn't went well with MKXL because the over 72 characters, no one has variation specific MU chart for each variation, which then we could see who has the most winning MUs and be the dominant character.

that is why most ppl stayed away from tier lists, they're pretty confusing in MKX, most ppl labelled the characters as a whole, which everyone also knows its BS, because not every single variation was explored to its full against every single variation of the cast. :D

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
@Azarashi Elder you need also to take in account that tier lists are mostly opinion on ppl that play the game, and they can shift very often over the years regardless of patching or not.
Agree. SFT is evidence enough for that.

I see tier list more like a consequence of a game design rather than a mechanic itself, no one knows which character will be strong from the get go until the game meta is played into its full. There is only a few games where very specific characters are designed in mind to be top tiers.
Again, I agree. imho, it's an element of design that can be (and sometimes is) taken into account, but it doesn't HAVE to be. That said, when it is it's a mechanic, as far as I'm concerned. But that's me.

Something that really didn't went well with MKXL because the over 72 characters, no one has variation specific MU chart for each variation, which then we could see who has the most winning MUs and be the dominant character.

that is why most ppl stayed away from tier lists, they're pretty confusing in MKX, most ppl labelled the characters as a whole, which everyone also knows its BS, because not every single variation was explored to its full against every single variation of the cast. :D
Yes, and this is why I decided against MKX as a competitive game for me, personally. With a roster size as big as it was, and with each variation being so distinct, I'd have to dedicate almost every spare moment I had, to get gud and level up against each character and each character's different move sets. I seriously doubted NRS's ability (and anyone's ability) to balance that sort of mess, and lo and behold, Tanya, Alien, DLC OP balance issues, with variations ignored among a significant portion of the cast, at least competitively.

I will say that I doubt each variation got its due amount of exploration, and I hope that MKX is a game that people dive into for the next 15 years. However, that's not what I'm looking for in a fighter, and if they went that route with Injustice, I'd respectfully bow out.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Probably in this order
The Avatars
General Rushdown
Frame Data, Frame Traps and Set-ups
Footsies, Spacing, Anti-air Game

I feel obligated to say that if I can't find a character that is pleasing to me mechanically, I will not put time into any of the other game mechanics. When I find a character that is pleasing aesthetically AS WELL as mechanically, then I will devote ample time into the game and its other mechanics. That's a weird one for me because if I don't enjoy the avatars the most then I don't enjoy anything else. Maybe I shouldn't have voted for that and just said that it's REALLY important to me.

As you can probably tell, there is nothing better to me than sticking to someone and never coming off. If the character has frame traps, I will give them a shot and see how it fits into my other necessities. I also love frame data and smacking people out of the sky is extremely satisfying.

I remember a great thread a while back that basically asked how you go about picking your character in a fighting game. I pick mine by first figuring out what I need as a player and then trying to fall in love with the avatar or vice-versa. I lack natural defensive oki as well as advanced space control with normals, so I compensate with finding a character that can get off of his/her back and has a normal/tool that can be used to control ample space. MKX brought me Jax with f3 and even more so f2 but he lacked defensive oki after the patch and frame traps of the dirty variety since day 1. Jax is/was pretty cool with the cigar and all but the swag isn't there IMO. MK9 blessed me oh so abundantly with Johnny Cage. F3, EX Forceballs, true frame traps of the dirty variety (opponent can't move) and getting off your back in that game was free (so stupid btw). When he stood there in suit and tie, bouncing, you felt the confidence of the character. Jax, in MKX, is kinda the stiff, old guy that "still got it" kinda but is also flaking away with every fight. I don't know why I didn't go Liu Kang from the rip but oh well, I guess.

I mention all of that because it all seems to tie into your personal replay value of the title as well as your personal success with the title. I got bored pretty quickly with MKX and have just started playing again. I also wouldn't dare travel to a tournament post-patch because I was using EX OHDP as a crutch for so many situations: wake-up, continuing my turn, baiting a button on a ridiculously negative string, armoring gaps, etc. Now that I don't have it, I'm crippled. Traveling for MK9 was always worthwhile. I never won anything of mention but I would compete and only get knocked out by the true killers. I only dropped that game because, for the most part, you needed someone offline to play with because online was so terrible. Also, everyone migrated to Injustice so the competitiveness of MK9 fell off quickly after its release.

Kinda ranting @Azarashi Elder but this is a great thread and it could provide some implicit insight into many things related to fighting games.

xMEECH

Dyslexic
My favorite thing in any fighting game I've played is commando kano's oki game, it's a shame it's in the same category as vortex's and 50/50s though.