What's new

Your Current Weaknesses in MK11

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
After reaching my goal of getting to Grand Master using mainly Shock Jock Johnny Cage, to show that it can be done, I've come to the realization that even though I was able to accomplish this goal, I feel as if I've hit a sort of plateau, and I felt the need to write out what I feel I need to work on with my 2 mains. Also one of those issues that you notice more when competing against players that are Demi-God or higher.

-Anti-air conversions as Cassie. I can use her B3 consistently, but I can't properly follow up on it.
-Anti-airs as a whole. It's like whenever I see someone jump, I just let them and block, despite knowing that its plus on block. This happens since I keep expecting to lose the trade, despite using characters that can deal with jump-ins quite well.
-Attempting to counter-poke as Cassie. It's a losing battle since she really doesn't have good range on her crouching pokes and her longest-range poke (her d4) can't trade.
-Relying too much on Johnny's F344 and Cassie's F2. I've been working more on staggering with Johnny, but I keep falling back into the habit of being too aggressive and getting blown up for it
-Waking up too often with U3

So with my own examples given, I wanted to make a thread where we can state what we feel our current weaknesses are, since the best way to confront your issue is to admit that its an issue. And hopefully, this results in others giving their own advice on how to improve. Nerves isn't really an issue that I'd state, since we can all fall victim to that, despite our skill level.

And since it's related to the topic, I'm also a player that's never really done drills, so if anyone knows a good place where I can read up on some drills for this game, I'd very much appreciate it.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
  • Being a casual with an hour or two to play this tops
  • Failing to convert from D1 into B3434 and getting a B4 over half the time (janky shit)
  • Using a character whose win condition is "chip them out before they hit you for 50%"

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I have a very bad habit of flow charting, and with a character like Johnny, it makes me very easy to adapt to and defend against in a long set or even a FT2, and I don't really adapt myself. I need to vary my game plan, but also get better at catching on to my opponent's habits and adapting accordingly.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I assume too much about people instead of letting them show me they can prevent or do certain things. For example Bobjoe303 throws me forward once and I tech it, I automatically assume he's gonna attempt a back throw because that's what I'd do but instead he forward throws again. I have to stop trying to make the big boy reads and chill out.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My spacing is really good in this game, until I run into a character with advancing strings. It's hard for me to account for the possible distance they can cover. I either get too close and eat their strings, or I'm too far and they zone me for free

Bar_Bar13

Friendly Neighborhood Spectre
I've recently overcome my plateau that I hit recently and managed to push all the way to God (Ranked up literally 60 seconds before this season ended lol) and what I think helped me improve was:

Anti-Airing: Every single jump by the opponent should be you punishing them hard for it and recovering control of the match. Lab your characters best anti-airs, go to training mode, pick opponents with crazy jump ins like D'Vorah or Kitana, and practice anti-airing different timings for their jumps

Neutral: Know how to play the neutral game and know your range and the opponent's range. For me, Scorpion has his S4 which is fast, far-reaching, and I buffer it into teleport in case the opponent walks into it because I do it from a range where if they don't move, it whiffs and the TP doesn't come out. Again, practice mode is invaluable for this

Pressure: Know your character's best pressure tools and abuse them. If you notice an opponent is consistently doing something specific to counter your pressure, then adapt to that and punish them hard for it. Learn how to stay safe, and learn how to mix the opponent up, even if it's something as simple as a mid or a throw

Patience: If you have the lead, sit on it. Let the opponent get antsy and come to you, because antsy players make mistakes, and capitalizing off mistakes is how you win the match. Don't break if the opponent seems like he can't get hit by anything you're doing, next time, instead of a throw, do an overhead, or a hit confirmable mid string into damage.

Combos: Every single touch should lead to something reasonably close to optimal damage. Go to the lab and practice every single situation you can think of, and know the optimal combo for every scenario. Have different enders for different reasons too, in case you need to switch sides, restand, or cause max damage.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I've recently overcome my plateau that I hit recently and managed to push all the way to God (Ranked up literally 60 seconds before this season ended lol) and what I think helped me improve was:

Anti-Airing: Every single jump by the opponent should be you punishing them hard for it and recovering control of the match. Lab your characters best anti-airs, go to training mode, pick opponents with crazy jump ins like D'Vorah or Kitana, and practice anti-airing different timings for their jumps

Neutral: Know how to play the neutral game and know your range and the opponent's range. For me, Scorpion has his S4 which is fast, far-reaching, and I buffer it into teleport in case the opponent walks into it because I do it from a range where if they don't move, it whiffs and the TP doesn't come out. Again, practice mode is invaluable for this

Pressure: Know your character's best pressure tools and abuse them. If you notice an opponent is consistently doing something specific to counter your pressure, then adapt to that and punish them hard for it. Learn how to stay safe, and learn how to mix the opponent up, even if it's something as simple as a mid or a throw

Patience: If you have the lead, sit on it. Let the opponent get antsy and come to you, because antsy players make mistakes, and capitalizing off mistakes is how you win the match. Don't break if the opponent seems like he can't get hit by anything you're doing, next time, instead of a throw, do an overhead, or a hit confirmable mid string into damage.

Combos: Every single touch should lead to something reasonably close to optimal damage. Go to the lab and practice every single situation you can think of, and know the optimal combo for every scenario. Have different enders for different reasons too, in case you need to switch sides, restand, or cause max damage.
Man, when I made this thread, this is exactly the kinda thing I wanted to see with regards to helping people out.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have 3
  1. I suck at anti-airing in this game
  2. I suck at teching throws in this game, mainly because the buttons used to tech forward throws are also heavily whiff punishable, at least for my character so i press those way less than i press d1 and d3
  3. Don't know much of MUs like i used to in previous games for 3 reasons:
a) Don't have much ppl to play as before
b) BM plays scorpion now, not much of a diversity in cast
c) Online sucks, not that its exactly terrible, but ppl dodge fights and it was the only way i had left to actually experience the game in first place, but then ppl see your win ratio, and decline every fight you do, which sucks.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
  1. I have no idea how people tech throws in this game since having to release block before is literally putting a cork in my brain and I just can't do it
  2. I find it hard to find the morale to keep practicing as everyone counterpicks me with a hitbox whiffing char so what's the point it's not like if I practice more the forceballs start hitting
  3. I literally guess everything wrong.

I can't tech throw for the life of me even tho i reach God rank but I would just let them throw me without even pressing any button to tech. I rarely get a throw KB because I don't even tech lol

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
1. I need to play as certain characters to gain a better understanding of them, like Jacqui, Jax and Kollector. Just being lazy on a couple characters.

2. My anti airs aren't really bad but I have very little faith in my J1 range anti airs and default to blocking. I need to understand my ranges better and be prepared to eat a couple jump kicks to prevent myself from being destroyed with J1 pressure. This isn't MKX, I can do this.

3. I need to practice teching throws on reaction. I've gotten pretty good at reading throws, but putting yourself in a 50/50 strike/throw mixup isn't always ideal and I need to be prepared to block and react rather then just neutral ducking or jumping.

I don't like succumbing to the delay of online so sometimes I just block as late as I might offline and get hit in the face then get annoyed at myself.

Pretty bad at anti-airs

I'd like to be better at throw techs but I'm not the worst at it either

Can't really counter high range mid normals...

Guessing bad on oki, but offensive and defensively

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
  • Repetitive Teleport Option characters (Lao/Liu)
  • Getting out of a corner beatdown
  • Runaway Random Jade still gets me often, even when I play patiently.
    Not maximising damage on combos, going for whats guaranteed over what will do better damage. But every time.
I just need to practice more. Mentally, I need to get over how disrespectful online players are (rage quits, constant teabags, chat taunts) It doesn't make me mad because they're offending me, it makes me mad because it makes us all, as a community for this game, look like douchbag assholes.

Bar_Bar13

Friendly Neighborhood Spectre
Man, when I made this thread, this is exactly the kinda thing I wanted to see with regards to helping people out.
Anytime, there’s definitely some weaknesses you can never pinpoint unless you watch matches of yourself, or have a good player explain their thought process to you so you can see what you’re missing. I’m always happy to run sets with you if you wanna get some good matches in because there’s always something to be learned

My big four would be

- Not having the time (or, more realistically, the patience) to lab things. I have so little time for video games nowadays that when I get to play MK, I just want to play some games. I have to remember that spending time in practice mode is always a part of the game.

- Eating a large amount of damage because I can't tech throws so I spend a lot of time neutral ducking (this does work against shittier players though...)

- Getting Jax's command grab and fucking up the KB is legitimately one of the single most shameful feelings I have ever felt. No idea why it feels like I can go two weeks without messing it up and then my brain just shits itself and dies for a few days.

- Kabal

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Great thread.

My main weakness is AA. Like yourself, i tend to let them do the jump attack cuz i'm not confident enough to jab them out then combo. Tied in to that, i've been told i jump too often myself.

I also tend to play a little too aggressive. I "read" an advancing attack from the opponent so i do a combo starter, expecting to hit at max range. It whiffs, i eat full combo punish.

Finally, i'm awful on knockdown. Despite having like 40 options for wakeup, i don't think i vary them enough. Mostly i delay wakeup, sometimes i roll and situationally ill u2 or u3, but i should wu block far more often.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
- Eating a large amount of damage because I can't tech throws so I spend a lot of time neutral ducking (this does work against shittier players though...)
I can't tech throws either man, but eating full combo damage because of it isn't ideal. It's always better to eat 140 damage vs 350. lol