What's new

Your biggest claim-to-shame Mortal Kombat purchase?

Art Lean

Noob
So if you're a big fan of Mortal Kombat (I'll assume many of you are haha), what's the biggest expense you've made on something Mortal Kombat-related that you feel rather stupid for having done... yet at the same time feel it was totally worth it because quite simply...

For me it was buying a Dreamcast just for MK Gold. Was playing it readily whilst Conquest was airing on TV and used to pretend 'The Tomb' arena was directly part of Conquest since it had that mauve sky they loved to utilise.

That or paying $120 for the studio press kit for Mortal Kombat Conquest in around 2002, full of beautifully printed folders, slides, adverts, press-kits, B&W promo photos etc. that my mate Darren proceeded to accidentally spill red wine over one evening.

Twat. :mad:

Buying Mortal Kombat 4 on PS1.
Man, that game sucked.

I mean I did regret buying MK1 on SNES after seeing the Genesis version at a friend's house and also was kinda disappointed with MK3 after UMK3 came out, but at least the latter 2 games were fun. MK4 was complete ass and I didn't buy another MK until MK9.

Probably buying MKDA. Did not like the gameplay of that game at all and I was so hyped about it prior to release. MKD and MKA I played many years later for very little money. Hated the 3D era. Mk vs DC I did quite enjoy though.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I bought MKX on three consoles, 4 TIMES. Always had a gaming PC, bought it for that when it launched. Most of my friends that were interested in it were on PC. But it was broken. Due to a memory leak, the game would crash after 20-30 mins. Unplayable. I'd also already paid the $20 to unlock the krypt stuff because I spend my time playing online, I get 2 hours a day to game. Fiance, working, etc. I also owned an XB1 at the time, paid another $60 for the game, another $20 to unlock all the brutes. After a few months, my XB1 died, it just would crash mid-game constantly. Got fed up, sold it to GameStop for nothing. Went out and got a PS4. No crashes, it was great. Paid the $20 to unlock the brutes again. But PS4 version of MKX was region locked. It was the ESL tournament standard. XB1 was not region locked. So to play with my friends from UK, Greece, etc, I had to make a bullshit PSN account saying I lived in Buckingham Palace, get my UK friend to purchase a UK PSN "top up" card digitally, I sent him the funds via PayPal and he sent me the code. Also had to fork out another 15 quid (20 bucks to unlock the brutes) so I've lost count on how much I spent on MKX.

More than I care to remember

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Just MKvsDCU honestly, I'm just borrowing MKXL but i may be already done with it for a 4th time now otherwise it's on the list. Not a fan of MK1 ever since MK2 was released but i always but i always bought the premium edition 3-D games anyway so basically free MK1, MK2 and UMK3.

I own all except MK11 and definitely got my $$$ worth MK1-MKA just offline alone. Even later on buying 2nd copies if the 3-D MKs for Xbox to play both XBL and PSN players i still got plenty for the extra $7 or whatever they were at that point

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Buying premium edition mk 11....then being told after launch and after they made their money about the shittiest, most toxic and dumbest mode ever in mk history that is Kombat League.

I would gladly play any other mk game yes that includes MK 4, mk vs DC and even the 3d MLS over kombat league online. At least those were a fun experience. Close second would be mk 4 and mkt onps. Both versions suck compared to the n64 versions, especially mk 4....good lord the load times were trash on psx versions.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I built an arcade cabinet about 10 years ago. That is probably the most silly thing I have done, MK related. I had no experience with anything industrial. I had to buy tools, learn how to use them, figure out how electronics worked, everything from nothing. Buying the tools alone cost a fortune, and I was all about "arcade perfect" so sourcing all the original materials and stuff... then trial and error and years latter I finally had a finished cab, after 3 attempts. Then I got married and latter kids and had to get rid of it and some other stuff as we just had no room for the baby and my toys. Looking back, it was literally just throwing money into a fire.

I built an arcade cabinet about 10 years ago. That is probably the most silly thing I have done, MK related. I had no experience with anything industrial. I had to buy tools, learn how to use them, figure out how electronics worked, everything from nothing. Buying the tools alone cost a fortune, and I was all about "arcade perfect" so sourcing all the original materials and stuff... then trial and error and years latter I finally had a finished cab, after 3 attempts. Then I got married and latter kids and had to get rid of it and some other stuff as we just had no room for the baby and my toys. Looking back, it was literally just throwing money into a fire.
Honestly it sounds awesome you made an arcade cabinet, sucks you had to get rid of it.

Plop

Noob
I bought the MK9 stick and the Klassic stick that came out around the time Arcade Kollection came out. They were expensive enough on their own, but I had to pay a fortune to ship them to the UK as well.

And i don't know why i bought both, I don't even play MK on stick.

The complete 100€ version of MK11.
even not announced, I would buy any of the characters anyway.

However one year later, and after other Video game industry disappointments, seems so greedy to have irrelevant characters in base roster, while having the likes of Shang as dlc. Even if I don't play or care for neither or them, I'm sick of the industry leaving parts of the essence of a title as dlc, to have "modern" content as base.
If i remember, the game was kinda incomplete also, and had a massive discount not long after launch.