What's new

You Want to Beat Aquaman? Join The Green Today!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Hello Fellow TYMers!

Today I will be encouraging you guys to join the Green Army to take down the Big Mean Fish once and all!

Tired of being hit by tentacles from anywhere and not being able to punish? Tired of losing 400+ health? Tired of being killed on block? Tired of not being able to combo due to his trait? Well fear no more, as Poison Ivy is the answer to all your problems!

Now before I get into this, here are a few disclaimers, since I know how *clears throat* "misguided" some people can be:

-Ivy is NOT the best in the game
-Ivy is NOT top tier
-This is NOT a 10-0 MU
-Aquaman is STILL Top Tier
-Black Adam is STILL a good counter

Ok. Now I know you guys are probably thinking "why Ivy" or "wtf KhaoTik just use Black Adam". Well, I personally feel as if Ivy is better in the MU than Black Adam is. After talking to a few Aqua players, they told me they would much fight Black Adam than Ivy any day, and I agree with them. Obviously Black Adam is a good counter since he's so simple to use (f1 and a dream) and has good tools to deal with Aqua, so it's understandable why people run to him for that match. Ivy plays the MU better imo. Here's why:

For those who have played or seen the MU, you'll see that Ivy controls the pace of the Match for the most part. She can safely zone him without worrying about a punish anywhere except point blank, while she can punish his zoning with drills, meaning she can zone and counter zone him. Punishing FTD with drills is a 4f window so you have to be ready and on point. If you miss the window, he still has to respect the drill regardless. Ivy can't sit back and just drill mindlessly tho because he can definitely sneak in a FTD if she's zoning carelessly. So yea she pretty much dominates Aquaman in the keepaway department. His zoning is one of his better tools and she pretty much shuts that down.

Upclose, Aqua definitely has the advantage. OHs, Lows, mixups, good buttons, etc. All better than what she has to offer upclose. The problem is, with all the zoning she'll be doing, she's definitely gonna have meter when he gets in, meaning she's able to just roll away, pushblock or armor. She's not gonna have meter everytime but it's just a thing to worry about regardless. Either way, his upclose game is very good against her. She can compete too but his is just better. He also shits on her when it comes to oki since her wakeup is so bad. She punishes trident rush for free tho. He outdamages her but her damage isn't no slouch either, especially in the corner. Barkskin is also a HUGE problem for him in the MU since he thrives on chip and damage. Barkskin makes her take no chip at all and she has multiple ways to set it up in the MU via knockdown, blocked FTD, ducked trident toss, etc. She also takes significantly less damage overall, hurting his damage output.

Both have amazing traits, but Ivy's is more dominant than his in this MU. Her trait just makes her already effective zoning against him that much better, making it even harder for him to make a read with a counter zone attempt or even move in. Even tho his trait stops combos, he still takes increased damage thru chip, and 213/F213/121213 takes full effect of that. If she has meter, she can go right into MB Datura to continue the chip and use any ender to make it safe due to the pushback.

If aqua gets the life lead, what is he going to do? He can't just sit back because she'll chip him with safe zoning. He can't zone because it's punishable anywhere on the screen. He has no choice but to stay on the offense. Aqua is a strong offensive and defensive character but her tools makes his defense almost non existent, making him stay on the offense. All she has to do is score a knockdown and she can play her game, whether she has the life lead or not.

TL;DR: She zones him strongly but has to be smart with it. Barkskin hurts his damage output since she takes less damage AND no chip. Her trait makes the zoning that much better and his counter attempts that much harder, while his trait makes her not get combos but she capitalizes with safe damaging chip. He bullies her upclose and on knockdown.

If that isn't enough, here's a quote from arguably the best Aquaman player:

I agree with everything you just said. Aquaman is a strong character, yeah, but FUCK this matchup sucks for him. She essentially has a 20% trident rush (trait) vs his 15% trident rush. She wins in chip, zoning, turtling, and comeback factor. The only reason this MU is slightly winnable for Aquaman is the upclose neutral in the corner, but its just so damn hard to take her and contain her there to begin with if the Ivy player is smart about meter management.

So that's pretty much why I think she does better than Black Adam. Adam is FAR easier to use tho so I understand it, but I'm just recommending another option just in case your Adam can't do it.

Discuss.

xKhaoTik

Also I'm just trying to make the Ivy community grow. We're kinda small and I'm welcoming anyone to join. She's fun

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Propaganda.

Nah really though I've been quite interested in ivy. It's just that stupid stance of hers I can't get use to.
I tried her online and I always got stuck in that stance.
Same goes for the opponent I've faced. Everytime they tried a combo in her stance they got stuck in it and I woke up and punished.
I think Ivy is top tier.

xKhaoTik

Propaganda.

Nah really though I've been quite interested in ivy. It's just that stupid stance of hers I can't get use to.
I tried her online and I always got stuck in that stance.
Same goes for the opponent I've faced. Everytime they tried a combo in her stance they got stuck in it and I woke up and punished.
I think Ivy is top tier.
She's hard to use and that stance is so wonky but you'll get used to it.

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
I believe this is 5-5. It's not an easy match up though. Some notes:

If he does FTD, you have to do a reversal drill to punish. Don't summon trait raw. Good AM can react to it. Have to drill MB in order to have a safe summon.

Don't barkskin raw either. It's a free FTD and trident toss.

Stop drilling when he gets into jump range (around 1/3 screen) His jump is slightly floaty, so you can react b3 MB or if you're feeling ballsy, do a d2.

Don't risk f3 in often. Or don't do it at all. You don't want to be in that d1 trident rush range. Plus he can push block and get rid of your trait and now you're kind of screwed. Just stay back and drill.

If he traits up after a MB command grab, do max chip. Also watch when he does the trait. If he does it early in the command grab you may have time to wait for the trait to end and sneak in a 12123 in time on hit.

Also practice up air teching FTD up close. You can land and punish in time if he mb the FTD.

Save meter to roll out of the corner.

xKhaoTik

I believe this is 5-5. It's not an easy match up though. Some notes:

If he does FTD, you have to do a reversal drill to punish. Don't summon trait raw. Good AM can react to it. Have to drill MB in order to have a safe summon.

Don't barkskin raw either. It's a free FTD and trident toss.

Stop drilling when he gets into jump range (around 1/3 screen) His jump is slightly floaty, so you can react b3 MB or if you're feeling ballsy, do a d2.

Don't risk f3 in often. Or don't do it at all. You don't want to be in that d1 trident rush range. Plus he can push block and get rid of your trait and now you're kind of screwed. Just stay back and drill.

If he traits up after a MB command grab, do max chip. Also watch when he does the trait. If he does it early in the command grab you may have time to wait for the trait to end and sneak in a 12123 in time on hit.

Also practice up air teching FTD up close. You can land and punish in time if he mb the FTD.

Save meter to roll out of the corner.
It can't be 5-5 when aqua has so many things that can go wrong for him in the MU. The fact that he's a hybrid and she shuts the defensive side of him down completely really hurts him in the MU. Like Theo and other Aqua and Ivy players said, his only saving grace is the upclose game. He's at a disadvantage anywhere else.

She has no reason to be upclose anyway.

xKhaoTik

These Oprah tier levels of PR campaigning for Ivy.

I like that there's several mid tier characters like Ivy, Cyborg, and Blue Beetle that low key beat one or more of the heavy hitters that are primarily used in tournament. That alone gives them relevant utility.
I've heard blue beetle beats Atrocitus. Makes sense when i think about it

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ive is super interesting.. I dont want her to beat Aqua, but this thread made me take a look at her in a general sense. She has a LOT going on, damn. Def not an easy character to play though. I can see why she's somewhat uncommon. That damn (forgive me if I get the inputs wrong, dont have the game in front of me) dd1, 2, U launch gives me fits.