What's new

Yomi Gaming creator ends the journey

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok...hold up.

Yomi did amaizing things.

1) it held the top talent that placed better than most current sponsors.

2) it became a household name (among the fgc)

The only thing that got in the way seemed to be sustainability. Maybe it was the weed or jail time, or maybe it was lack of sponsorships...idk. BUT I do know that starting a business is a risk NO matter what.

Reno worked his ass off and gave everything to this so that deserves respect at the very least.

This said....I wish as a whole that Yomi had better representation. Too often were their players on twitter poorly representing the brand. Too often we're stories of underage drinking and drug usage displayed. Too often were streams mismanaged and made the brand look bad.

Mistakes were made. Lessons I hope were learned. Also Reno is not currently in jail lol

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Jesus lol

jYNKS literally just heard about some dudes dad dying then walked into the funeral and goes up to little Timmy and asks "Hey man sorry for your loss but is your Pappa still around? "
I do not understand what you are trying to say here?

REO

Undead
My time at YOMI was some of the most fun I ever had competing. It was extremely fun to live in a new place I never been to before like Atlanta and meet and hang out with all the people from there. The daily hour walk adventures to and from the venue, watching matches at our giant movie theater screen, traveling to non stop locals and majors the entire first year of MKX, the daily stream training sessions with the whole team, having our own house to ourselves with daily shenanigans and seemingly infinite snacks, etc. etc. It was an amazing experience with memories I'll never forget.

Also some people blasting YOMI saying it was a joke because it had way too many top players on a team but yet no one says anything about Noble who literally has like 10 or more top players on their team, lol.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
I get on TYM to for the first time in months to see what Injustice 2 content is floating around and I find a thread making all sorts of inaccurate assumptions and accusations, ahh the internet ever entertaining internet. Well it's understandable with the way that everything played out. I do want people to know what actually happened. I have just been so focused on my children, whom I home school myself, and fixing my life situation that I haven't bothered with much else.

Instead of replying to a bunch of comments and then going back and forth about this or that, I think it would be better to just do a stream in which I tell the whole story and answer questions from the chat. It would save me a lot of time and it would be a more positive and memorable experience for all of us. We've been moving things around to suit the current needs of the venue so I need a few days to put my stream back together. I'll check back in when I finish and if there's a significant amount of likes on this comment I'll tell everyone everything from beginning to end. If there's not a significant amount of likes on this comment then it means not enough people actually care and I'll move on.

Either way I'll still be traveling when I can and hopefully seeing you all at future Injustice 2 tournaments. I am also planning on hosting level ups and free tournaments here at the venue the way I used to in my basement during Injustice 1. That's when it was all for fun and I like it a lot better that way...

Wavy

Block Spammer
Noble never started off with the top players only. And they've added and dropped people through their time. That's how they built the brand. That's what some users have been saying. Yomi did it opposite from them. Anyhow, good luck to any future startup gaming groups. You can learn from this.

Last edited:

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Went to Yomi a handful of times. It was cool. Reno is good people. The area it was in didn't bother me, because that's how I grew up, but I could see how it could be disturbing to a person that's not from that environment. And it's ducked off too. I passed it twice my first time going there. I wish everyone the best of luck though.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
Well, I guess it’s the “official” end of an era, although this feels almost a year too late.

Yomi was, without a doubt, the first “pro team” that existed in this wing of the community. Sure, there had been a lot of people with a few letters in front of their names, but this was the first to actually go all the way and house the players as well as associate a business plan around their own brand. Remember that, because I’m gonna get back to it. This was not the same old bowl of fruits and nuts where a money mark comes in and shoves free sponsorships onto players; this was the real deal with a real guy in Reno, who was good for it.

And for a while, we saw them doing their best to establish that brand. There were official team photos, merchandise, a live stream/tourney almost every week showcasing their talents, and most importantly, their players were winning. A lot. Every inside joke and meme established by the Yomi guys was immediately repeated and doomed to haunt every stream chat ‘til the end of time. Aside from Sonic Fox, it genuinely seemed like these guys were going to take over the world. So what happened?

It definitely wasn’t the play; even as recently as the last Evo, players associated with Yomi tag were capable of placing amongst the best. But as I’m sure everyone is aware, winning is only half the battle. The other half (sadly, it’s not knowing) is building off the momentum of winning into a sustainable business that keeps itself alive. Looking at the title of this thread, clearly something went awry there.

So, what was the business plan of Yomi? I honestly have no idea. It wasn’t for lack of trying to ask; for some reason, threads that were seen as overtly negative to the Yomi brand, which included grilling about the financials of it all, seemed to vanish into the Netherrealm never to be seen again. I have an idea as to why that happened, but I digress.

From what I know, it seemed to be part LAN center and part Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Gamers could expect to come in and expect to see a high end gaming facility loaded to the gills with consoles and PC’s, available to them for only the price of a membership fee. Not only that, they had the potential to be coached by the pros on the official team who had experience in competitive settings.

At least, that’s what I think. Their FB, Twitter, and other social media pages had plenty of photos, re-tweets, and general cheerleading, but very little description of what they actually did. We knew that the players had a van and traveled a lot, and we knew they stayed in a house provided for them, but their day to day activities regarding this business seemed to be suspiciously absent.

All we had to go off of was the statements from the people who actually were there. On Twitter, we’d see some of the members openly talk about their “professional” goals and starting their “careers” with Yomi Gaming. At the same time, one could find tweets of players who had been to the location in Atlanta and had their cars broken into or otherwise damaged. ForeverKing would openly talk about an incident where he was held up at gunpoint in the area. Reno, himself, was arrested on charges and disappeared from the public eye.These and other rumors persisted, painting a pretty rough sketch of the area in which the business was located.

Before long, players were gone too. Only a few of the real diehards remained, but even they too broke away after too long. We never again heard of the actual business side, and now here we are two years later with the official announcement coming a year after we already knew the truth.

I’m hesitant to call Reno a money mark, because he seemed like he knew what he was doing when it came to other businesses, but really, what was this? Far be it from me to tell a successful guy how to spend his money, but he wasn’t just spending his money at a certain point. Some of his players were very young, guys that probably could have been in school or doing something that would have helped given them skills if they were to become the “professionals” that they were told they would be. Bla bla bla “the dream,” but luring kids in from home with promises of jobs and careers without having a plan to make money to pay these guys and sticking them in a shack in a bad area? Well, I’d call that irresponsible.

I could go on about what looting relatively small scenes of their best players did for the competitive aspect of the game, but that’s a whole other can of worms and I’m not here to piss on a grave. As contemptible as I may have found some of their practices, Reno is no Triforce, and Yomi isn’t EMP, or any of the other top abusers in the E-sports realm.

My hope, now that Yomi is officially in the books, is for future proprietors of gaming teams or businesses to look at what Yomi tried to do and take some of the good and watch out for all of the bad. Look at the caliber of players they acquired, their initial streaming schedules, and merchandising, but leave out the poor business practices and poor living conditions. Gaming teams can and do work, but they never succeeded without a solid financial plan in place to sustain “the dream.”

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I get on TYM to for the first time in months to see what Injustice 2 content is floating around and I find a thread making all sorts of inaccurate assumptions and accusations, ahh the internet ever entertaining internet. Well it's understandable with the way that everything played out. I do want people to know what actually happened. I have just been so focused on my children, whom I home school myself, and fixing my life situation that I haven't bothered with much else.

Instead of replying to a bunch of comments and then going back and forth about this or that, I think it would be better to just do a stream in which I tell the whole story and answer questions from the chat. It would save me a lot of time and it would be a more positive and memorable experience for all of us. We've been moving things around to suit the current needs of the venue so I need a few days to put my stream back together. I'll check back in when I finish and if there's a significant amount of likes on this comment I'll tell everyone everything from beginning to end. If there's not a significant amount of likes on this comment then it means not enough people actually care and I'll move on.
I still remember the vision you told us, before you started it.

Either way I'll still be traveling when I can and hopefully seeing you all at future Injustice 2 tournaments. I am also planning on hosting level ups and free tournaments here at the venue the way I used to in my basement during Injustice 1. That's when it was all for fun and I like it a lot better that way...
I don't know if this affected you or YOMI, but relevant to this are the psychological studies that show that extrinsic rewards kan reduce intrinsic motivation.
http://www.spring.org.uk/2009/10/how-rewards-can-backfire-and-reduce-motivation.php

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@REO I love watching your KOTH's on your YouTube channel, you should try (if it's possible) to get all the YOMI guys (Michaelangelo, DJT, Slayer, etc.) in a KOTH one time and do a video, would be cool.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
i love how everyone has their own version of what happened or what went wrong lol also people really believe Reno is in Jail somehow tweeting about his fitness career LOL anyway this was a good laugh coming back to TYM reading this thread, good times.
Imo this locked up for weed b.s. started on kappa. Read an article /post their a yr ago. But that's just my opinion. Anyway sorry to hear this die. I spoke to Reno prior to yomi at NEC a few yrs ago. Man really wanted this to do big things in the fgc and the effort he placed and the players. Thanks guys ya kept the hype up for mkx/mkxl imo.