What's new

Yomi Gaming creator ends the journey

Error

DF2+R2
On topic, sad to see it go, but on the other hand it has felt like Yomi was over for a while now. It also did feel at the time they first came around that they were too dominant with only SF and the occasional outsider able to compete with them, I don't know maybe at the time we just didn't have enough top players that the scene could deal with 80% of them being in one team.

It is the proud maple leaf and not responsible for tens of thousands of deaths every year like the evil jazz cigarette or "marenjuana" as some call it.
hmmm, let's investigate

first, let's look at the Canadian flag, but that leaf looks familiar... could it be
IT IS! Also Canada, Cannabis... these are just the facts.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Well, I guess it’s the “official” end of an era, although this feels almost a year too late.

Yomi was, without a doubt, the first “pro team” that existed in this wing of the community. Sure, there had been a lot of people with a few letters in front of their names, but this was the first to actually go all the way and house the players as well as associate a business plan around their own brand. Remember that, because I’m gonna get back to it. This was not the same old bowl of fruits and nuts where a money mark comes in and shoves free sponsorships onto players; this was the real deal with a real guy in Reno, who was good for it.

And for a while, we saw them doing their best to establish that brand. There were official team photos, merchandise, a live stream/tourney almost every week showcasing their talents, and most importantly, their players were winning. A lot. Every inside joke and meme established by the Yomi guys was immediately repeated and doomed to haunt every stream chat ‘til the end of time. Aside from Sonic Fox, it genuinely seemed like these guys were going to take over the world. So what happened?

It definitely wasn’t the play; even as recently as the last Evo, players associated with Yomi tag were capable of placing amongst the best. But as I’m sure everyone is aware, winning is only half the battle. The other half (sadly, it’s not knowing) is building off the momentum of winning into a sustainable business that keeps itself alive. Looking at the title of this thread, clearly something went awry there.

So, what was the business plan of Yomi? I honestly have no idea. It wasn’t for lack of trying to ask; for some reason, threads that were seen as overtly negative to the Yomi brand, which included grilling about the financials of it all, seemed to vanish into the Netherrealm never to be seen again. I have an idea as to why that happened, but I digress.

From what I know, it seemed to be part LAN center and part Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Gamers could expect to come in and expect to see a high end gaming facility loaded to the gills with consoles and PC’s, available to them for only the price of a membership fee. Not only that, they had the potential to be coached by the pros on the official team who had experience in competitive settings.

At least, that’s what I think. Their FB, Twitter, and other social media pages had plenty of photos, re-tweets, and general cheerleading, but very little description of what they actually did. We knew that the players had a van and traveled a lot, and we knew they stayed in a house provided for them, but their day to day activities regarding this business seemed to be suspiciously absent.

All we had to go off of was the statements from the people who actually were there. On Twitter, we’d see some of the members openly talk about their “professional” goals and starting their “careers” with Yomi Gaming. At the same time, one could find tweets of players who had been to the location in Atlanta and had their cars broken into or otherwise damaged. ForeverKing would openly talk about an incident where he was held up at gunpoint in the area. Reno, himself, was arrested on charges and disappeared from the public eye.These and other rumors persisted, painting a pretty rough sketch of the area in which the business was located.

Before long, players were gone too. Only a few of the real diehards remained, but even they too broke away after too long. We never again heard of the actual business side, and now here we are two years later with the official announcement coming a year after we already knew the truth.

I’m hesitant to call Reno a money mark, because he seemed like he knew what he was doing when it came to other businesses, but really, what was this? Far be it from me to tell a successful guy how to spend his money, but he wasn’t just spending his money at a certain point. Some of his players were very young, guys that probably could have been in school or doing something that would have helped given them skills if they were to become the “professionals” that they were told they would be. Bla bla bla “the dream,” but luring kids in from home with promises of jobs and careers without having a plan to make money to pay these guys and sticking them in a shack in a bad area? Well, I’d call that irresponsible.

I could go on about what looting relatively small scenes of their best players did for the competitive aspect of the game, but that’s a whole other can of worms and I’m not here to piss on a grave. As contemptible as I may have found some of their practices, Reno is no Triforce, and Yomi isn’t EMP, or any of the other top abusers in the E-sports realm.

My hope, now that Yomi is officially in the books, is for future proprietors of gaming teams or businesses to look at what Yomi tried to do and take some of the good and watch out for all of the bad. Look at the caliber of players they acquired, their initial streaming schedules, and merchandising, but leave out the poor business practices and poor living conditions. Gaming teams can and do work, but they never succeeded without a solid financial plan in place to sustain “the dream.”
It may have been irresponsible, but I can guarantee that many of them will look back and say these were some of the best times of their lives.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The Yomi "facility" was amazing. It really did seem too good to be true. But I only went a few times. The location was abysmal, really. It was in downtown Atlanta where the traffic was unbearable. The actual location was somewhat hidden, the first time I went there I literally drove by it 3 times. And the area was very bad, with high crime rates.

Regardless of what the business model actually was, even if it was great, personally I believe that the location was so bad that it was never going to truly succeed.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
for some reason, threads that were seen as overtly negative to the Yomi brand, which included grilling about the financials of it all, seemed to vanish into the Netherrealm never to be seen again.
I don't think too many around here are naive enough to not know the reason.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Pro Team who was paying and sheltering a guy who picked Jason and did nothing for months (because Jason is fun).
Progaming and E-Sports are not joke but people still take it as a joke.
Something that can get them some money and when they start to fail they crawl searching for another thing called ''job''.
Still , i wish Reno & all the ex-Yomi members all the best!

Pro Team who was paying and sheltering a guy who picked Jason and did nothing for months (because Jason is fun).
Progaming and E-Sports are not joke but people still take it as a joke.
Something that can get them some money and when they start to fail they crawl searching for another thing called ''job''.
Still , i wish Reno & all the ex-Yomi members all the best!
TO be fair from my understanding winning tournament wasn't really their source of income it was supposed to be the membership thing but what really killed them was their location and their open/not really open state. Being in the bad part of town is a really stupid idea for any business but especially for this kind of business especially when people who go there have to deal thugs or when the people from YOMI get their own Van stolen doesn't really make you confident

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i love how everyone has their own version of what happened or what went wrong lol also people really believe Reno is in Jail somehow tweeting about his fitness career LOL anyway this was a good laugh coming back to TYM reading this thread, good times.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Well, I guess it’s the “official” end of an era, although this feels almost a year too late.

Yomi was, without a doubt, the first “pro team” that existed in this wing of the community. Sure, there had been a lot of people with a few letters in front of their names, but this was the first to actually go all the way and house the players as well as associate a business plan around their own brand. Remember that, because I’m gonna get back to it. This was not the same old bowl of fruits and nuts where a money mark comes in and shoves free sponsorships onto players; this was the real deal with a real guy in Reno, who was good for it.

And for a while, we saw them doing their best to establish that brand. There were official team photos, merchandise, a live stream/tourney almost every week showcasing their talents, and most importantly, their players were winning. A lot. Every inside joke and meme established by the Yomi guys was immediately repeated and doomed to haunt every stream chat ‘til the end of time. Aside from Sonic Fox, it genuinely seemed like these guys were going to take over the world. So what happened?

It definitely wasn’t the play; even as recently as the last Evo, players associated with Yomi tag were capable of placing amongst the best. But as I’m sure everyone is aware, winning is only half the battle. The other half (sadly, it’s not knowing) is building off the momentum of winning into a sustainable business that keeps itself alive. Looking at the title of this thread, clearly something went awry there.

So, what was the business plan of Yomi? I honestly have no idea. It wasn’t for lack of trying to ask; for some reason, threads that were seen as overtly negative to the Yomi brand, which included grilling about the financials of it all, seemed to vanish into the Netherrealm never to be seen again. I have an idea as to why that happened, but I digress.

From what I know, it seemed to be part LAN center and part Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Gamers could expect to come in and expect to see a high end gaming facility loaded to the gills with consoles and PC’s, available to them for only the price of a membership fee. Not only that, they had the potential to be coached by the pros on the official team who had experience in competitive settings.

At least, that’s what I think. Their FB, Twitter, and other social media pages had plenty of photos, re-tweets, and general cheerleading, but very little description of what they actually did. We knew that the players had a van and traveled a lot, and we knew they stayed in a house provided for them, but their day to day activities regarding this business seemed to be suspiciously absent.

All we had to go off of was the statements from the people who actually were there. On Twitter, we’d see some of the members openly talk about their “professional” goals and starting their “careers” with Yomi Gaming. At the same time, one could find tweets of players who had been to the location in Atlanta and had their cars broken into or otherwise damaged. ForeverKing would openly talk about an incident where he was held up at gunpoint in the area. Reno, himself, was arrested on charges and disappeared from the public eye.These and other rumors persisted, painting a pretty rough sketch of the area in which the business was located.

Before long, players were gone too. Only a few of the real diehards remained, but even they too broke away after too long. We never again heard of the actual business side, and now here we are two years later with the official announcement coming a year after we already knew the truth.

I’m hesitant to call Reno a money mark, because he seemed like he knew what he was doing when it came to other businesses, but really, what was this? Far be it from me to tell a successful guy how to spend his money, but he wasn’t just spending his money at a certain point. Some of his players were very young, guys that probably could have been in school or doing something that would have helped given them skills if they were to become the “professionals” that they were told they would be. Bla bla bla “the dream,” but luring kids in from home with promises of jobs and careers without having a plan to make money to pay these guys and sticking them in a shack in a bad area? Well, I’d call that irresponsible.

I could go on about what looting relatively small scenes of their best players did for the competitive aspect of the game, but that’s a whole other can of worms and I’m not here to piss on a grave. As contemptible as I may have found some of their practices, Reno is no Triforce, and Yomi isn’t EMP, or any of the other top abusers in the E-sports realm.

My hope, now that Yomi is officially in the books, is for future proprietors of gaming teams or businesses to look at what Yomi tried to do and take some of the good and watch out for all of the bad. Look at the caliber of players they acquired, their initial streaming schedules, and merchandising, but leave out the poor business practices and poor living conditions. Gaming teams can and do work, but they never succeeded without a solid financial plan in place to sustain “the dream.”
Drugs man. Lots of drugs. Really nice guys though.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Wow. Ah...Imma just say it...

Thread opens annoucing SonicFox's Offical Retirement of YOMI and everyone breaks down into what??

Weed. Damn Shame Guys.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
i love how everyone has their own version of what happened or what went wrong lol also people really believe Reno is in Jail somehow tweeting about his fitness career LOL anyway this was a good laugh coming back to TYM reading this thread, good times.
No one believes he is in jail right now. People believe he may end up in jail. Difference there.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
What everyone said is just speculations. Nobody will know, unless one of the yomi guys fess this up.

The "fitness career" is the one phrase hiding a message there. If he's telling the truth about the fitness career, he should prove it so, unless someone reveals of what's going on at his end.

Speaking of weed and salt, the salt is heavier than the weed, according to the law of Nature. So clarify it a bit.

Wavy

Block Spammer
Tbh I just assumed the whole yomi thing was some sort of joke/friends only and not an actual attempt to make a brand. It was cool at first but the novelty wore off real fast. Plus the fact that they started with too many top players. Never really adding/dropping members making the brand > people. Also being in a shady part of ATL. Yikes. Always seemed like a waste of time and was set up to fail. I feel bad for all those involved with Yomi. Better luck in their future.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Well people were asking what the plan was from the start, and everybody kept being told "It's a secret/under wraps/you'll see".

Then YOMI's done and it's like "Lol you guys don't know what happened LOL"

So if you aren't going to provide any additional info, it's natural that people will go from what they see and hear.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm as big a jerk as anyone around here but seriously, whatever the hell went down at Yomi can we not just absolutely put reno racks reputation on blast to the tune of criminal charges based on rumors from fucking stream monsters?

Dude ran a team and a gym. Now he doesn't. Didn't triforce nobody and did a ton of good for the community. Lets celebrate that and let the man handle his own business without unsubstantiated and harmful speculation.

haketh

Noob
I crack a lot of jokes about YOMI cuz what was the plan? But it was cool to watch the dudes have fun & do it big for awhile, hoping for the best in the future.

And damn y'all cut it with the Reno shit, no need to spread stuff around when it aint even confirmed or anything.

Error

DF2+R2
I'm as big a jerk as anyone around here but seriously, whatever the hell went down at Yomi can we not just absolutely put reno racks reputation on blast to the tune of criminal charges based on rumors from fucking stream monsters?

Dude ran a team and a gym. Now he doesn't. Didn't triforce nobody and did a ton of good for the community. Lets celebrate that and let the man handle his own business without unsubstantiated and harmful speculation.
Unless you're selling Heroin, selling drugs ruins no reputations now a days.