What's new

General/Other - Tarkatan XL Tarkatan Alien Discussion Thread

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I guess its a difference of opinion. Slight advantage for me is a 6-4, but I know plenty of people prefer to have some of these MU's as 5.5-4.5.

I want to know why @Tweedy now believes Jax and Cassie are even MU's now.

Tweedy

Noob
I guess its a difference of opinion. Slight advantage for me is a 6-4, but I know plenty of people prefer to have some of these MU's as 5.5-4.5.

I want to know why @Tweedy now believes Jax and Cassie are even MU's now.
I have Jax as slight disadvantage.

I've had Cassie as even for awhile. She doesn't get a full combo for osing rekkas and Tarkatan's standing 2 + D4 play the mid range footsie game really well vs her B1 and D4 imo. Alien's OP jump punch also beats her OP jump punch.

Tweedy

Noob
I've been playing a lot against Yungmonster's brother. There's a lot more to this match up than "lol she's so mobile bro".

But I don't think it's that bad tbh. Probably just 5-5.

Edit: Talking about Dragon Naginata if there's confusion.

She can os rekkas with EX drill and does pretty well from mid range/in the air. Alien has to come to her. Some stuff is a bill, though, like if she does the swing kick, you can generally just run in and take your turn.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I've never heard anyone say Dragon Naginata is a bad MU outside of Sonic. His opinion holds a ton of weight, but I'm not sure where he gets that from. She can OS the rekkas, but whathe else is there?

Tweedy

Noob
Hunter Predator is a really strange match up for Tarkatan, at first glance.

Do you guys have any thoughts on it? I played a guy tonight who tried a zoning style with hunter, and it worked decently. I still won the games because Hunter can't get up, but since Tarkatan has no projectile, he was able to turn the games into basically a staring contest.

FACT: I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THIS VARIATION HAD A U3. Hey, @KingKhrystopher how about you put our frame data on the project website? ;)

Haha, if he doesn't I'll do it tomorrow and he can do frames for his precious Triborg.

I'm gonna mess with U3 in the combos and watch Dink's video before bed

EDIT: And as far as optimizing this setup goes, we're looking for ways to increase the damage with the full string ending in bf2~1. Needs to be higher than 33%. After that, the 4.88% chip should be guaranteed (if we so choose to take it) so we just tack that on
Yea and unlike acidic you can combo off of it midscreen. Also (and please tell me if im wrong) i swear to god the hitbox of the move right at the tail is a bit bigger in this variation than acidic. I feel like i can anti crossup with tarkkatans u3 much easier than i can with acidics u3. I feel like acidics u3 whiffs alot more when people are kinda close to you when they jump in or cross you up etc.

Hunter Predator is a really strange match up for Tarkatan, at first glance.

Do you guys have any thoughts on it? I played a guy tonight who tried a zoning style with hunter, and it worked decently. I still won the games because Hunter can't get up, but since Tarkatan has no projectile, he was able to turn the games into basically a staring contest.
He can space you out kinda with mines. Virtually a line you cant cross. His jump in punch is kinda difficult to anti air on reaction. Idk i j4 alot in this mu just cuz all you have to do is touch him to make mines go away. I like doing vitually full screen jump in 4's into rekkas. The jump attack deals with the mine then rekkas start pressure. Things of that nature made the mu much easier to handle. B3 kinda bodies him as well.

Last edited:
I have Jax as slight disadvantage.

I've had Cassie as even for awhile. She doesn't get a full combo for osing rekkas and Tarkatan's standing 2 + D4 play the mid range footsie game really well vs her B1 and D4 imo. Alien's OP jump punch also beats her OP jump punch.
Its still annoying for the tarkkatan player though whenever she os's out with drill. If you keep doing it eventually they will try and make rekkas gapless at which case reverse naked flip kick punishes the third hit being somewhere between -8 to -10. Diff of opinion i guess but i have cassie winning this match.

Tweedy

Noob
Haven't had a chance to play yet, but is the first and second rekka still super minus?
Yeah

I'm fine with being super punishable. There's still somewhat of a mind game there with staggering the first rekka and finishing, to not get punished. My issue rn is that if you clip someone with a B3/F4 when they were jumping, you can't delay them to convert. If the convert won't work with blitzed rekkas then you're just not gonna get it.

Tweedy

Noob
Yeah this is really annoying.

Nerfs are fine but can the character still function like a complete character please?

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
They can't do that because then it allows tarkatan to stop at the second rekka on hit and get plus frames and mix grounded opponents.

Tweedy

Noob
They can't do that because then it allows tarkatan to stop at the second rekka on hit and get plus frames and mix grounded opponents.
You can still do that lol.

Look you're like the 14th person since I've started complaining about this that has come at me with inaccurate information or "lol get gud alien noob".

I know what i'm talking about. I'm trying to be optimistic but this is kinda bs.

But seriously, standing 1 and B1 still jail off of rekka 2 on hit.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Another question, does Tarkatan stand 2 still go through ice clone or does it frozen like all the tail normals? If I can't punish Sub's OH while backed with clone, it's gonna be a rough time.

hkriderz

You can still do that lol.

Look you're like the 14th person since I've started complaining about this that has come at me with inaccurate information or "lol get gud alien noob".

I know what i'm talking about. I'm trying to be optimistic but this is kinda bs.

But seriously, standing 1 and B1 still jail off of rekka 2 on hit.
ok chill out lol. I didnt know he was able to stop on hit. If thats the case then its fine if they reinstated delay on hit

Also do u mean F1?

Tweedy

Noob
ok chill out lol. I didnt know he was able to stop on hit. If thats the case then its fine if they reinstated delay on hit

Also do u mean F1?
F1 idk, I only tested S1.

S1 is faster than F1 and is a better mix imo. S1 flip, S12 flip, S12 snag, S1 stagger grab.

But it should still be +15 so yeah.

Tweedy

Noob
Another question, does Tarkatan stand 2 still go through ice clone or does it frozen like all the tail normals? If I can't punish Sub's OH while backed with clone, it's gonna be a rough time.
It gets frozen but D4 does not. D4 doesn't seem to have a hurtbox.

Which imo keeps the Sub match up fair.

hkriderz

F1 idk, I only tested S1.

S1 is faster than F1 and is a better mix imo. S1 flip, S12 flip, S12 snag, S1 stagger grab.

But it should still be +15 so yeah.
Alright as long as it stays the same plus frames no matter the delay on hit, then its cool. :)