What's new

General/Other - Tarkatan XL Tarkatan Alien Discussion Thread

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I find myself getting fisted by Jax, Cassie, and Kitana. Eventually I'll pick up Acidic which should amend the issues I have with Jax and Kitana. I could honestly see Cassie Cage in Hollywood being a problem for Alien across the board.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, I believe that Jax and Cassie beat all variations of Alien, but posting that on TYM is like shooting yourself in the face.
I know lol I'm just gonna ride the Alien train as long as it lasts. I think it is obvious that Cassie presents a definite problem. Jax is debatable vs Acidic but definitely Cassie beats him.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yeah, I believe that Jax and Cassie beat all variations of Alien, but posting that on TYM is like shooting yourself in the face.
Well that's an assumption. Sonicfox has said he loses to Cassie too so TYM will probably agree with you since Sonic said so :rolleyes:

Tweedy

Noob
Posting to encourage the use of EX DB2 as a punisher.

Since you can buffer specials on this game, this guarantees a punish vs harder to punish moves, or moves that are only like -9, -10, -11, etc. You'll never fall victim to blockstun either.

Alien needs meter to do good damage anyways, unless you land and confirm a clean B11U4, so this is pretty useful when trying to punish Kenjutsu's overhead, Possessed's EX lift, Sub Zero's EX frost bomb, Jason's choke, etc. This method also option selects any variation of Kotal's B1 string, besides a plain B1 stagger and B122 xx overhead.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Looking for a complete guide on Tarkatan ( combos, blockstrings, tech , etc), can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Looking for a complete guide on Tarkatan ( combos, blockstrings, tech , etc), can anyone point me in the right direction?

This will help you out. Alien Tarkatan is the ideal variation for vortex and pressure against your opponent. In some occasions, you might want to learn Acidic, too, for ranged opponents (Pyromancer Tanya, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang, etc).

Good luck!

Tweedy

Noob
Kind of a late post, but I was without internet when I originally thought to share this.

If you end corner combos with db1, you can dash forward, jump back 2, and you've essentially got what people call "kung jin tech". It basically gives you guaranteed pressure unless they have meter and armor that blows it up. This is really useful because of the frame gap in between F13 and F134. Trying to meaty with F1 alone sucks because of it's 28 frames of recovery, and the gap in between F13 and F134 will sometimes get you poked, if they mess you up with delays. This kind of destroys all of those problems.

Alien is dumb.

Just to clarify, there isn't an actual gap in that string. There is however, though, 21 frames of start up to the 4 in F134, so you can poke if you delay and don't block F13. It's kind of similar to Takeda's mid string, but with an even bigger gapless gap, if you will.

Tweedy

Noob
For whatever reason, the medium delayed gapless low, is only -10 or -11 if you do EX rekkas.

Not a huge deal, it could maybe blow up a Kitana or Jax player one or two times in a tournament set?

I'm still labbing EX rekkas. I'll post further findings. I'm also thinking about doing a video guide to Tarkatan. Video mostly because I feel like less people take the time to view written guides.

For whatever reason, the medium delayed gapless low, is only -10 or -11 if you do EX rekkas.

Not a huge deal, it could maybe blow up a Kitana or Jax player one or two times in a tournament set?

I'm still labbing EX rekkas. I'll post further findings. I'm also thinking about doing a video guide to Tarkatan. Video mostly because I feel like less people take the time to view written guides.
What is the gapless low after normal rekkas?

Also just curious about a little strategy. When using f134 string do you like to go for the mix or do you usually go for the rekka mind games? I'm assuming it's mostly situational such as if they have any meter, if they're armor provides a full combo, if you have momentum etc. Just curious cause I've been playing tarkatan for a couple months and I usually go into rekkas personally.

Tweedy

Noob
What is the gapless low after normal rekkas?

Also just curious about a little strategy. When using f134 string do you like to go for the mix or do you usually go for the rekka mind games? I'm assuming it's mostly situational such as if they have any meter, if they're armor provides a full combo, if you have momentum etc. Just curious cause I've been playing tarkatan for a couple months and I usually go into rekkas personally.
If you run through the rekkas, the low will always have a gap. If you slightly delay the first but leave no gap, aka a medium delay, you can make the rekka a true string.

It depends on the match up. If they can't punish flip, go into flip more. If they can't option select rekkas(they need a 13 frame or faster armored move), go into rekkas more.

If you run through the rekkas, the low will always have a gap. If you slightly delay the first but leave no gap, aka a medium delay, you can make the rekka a true string.

It depends on the match up. If they can't punish flip, go into flip more. If they can't option select rekkas(they need a 13 frame or faster armored move), go into rekkas more.
So if you just blow through them quickly the low has a gap but with medium delay there isn't? Seems kinda backwards :confused:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Tarkatan strengths over Acidic (imo):

- Able to hit confirm off 50/50s with rekka
- Able to hit confirm off great footsie tool in B3
- 9 frame armored launcher in EX Spin, best move to OS armor with
- Relatively safe armor in EX Rekkas
- U3 anti air can consistently be followed up for a full combo, little trickier in Acidic
- Able to consistently confirm a combo if the opponent keeps taking the low of F134
- Ending combos in Chop Chop in the corner allows for jump back 2 tech
- Standing 2 is 9 frames, long range allows him to punish some things for a full combo that Acidic can't
- Canceling a poke into rekka leads to full combo if opponent gets caught not blocking
- D4 and F23424 into regular Spin has no gap, catches opponents who know to armor
- After EX Krawl, ending combo after 2nd hit of rekka leaves Alien plus enough to guarantee everything except 50/50
- Rekka pressure in general is great against a lot of characters that can't OS punish or who have bad armor

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Don't forget EX rekka is a 15 frame half screen mid armoured move that can be confirmed into a full combo :p

Tweedy

Noob
What makes Tarkatan better than Acidic? Can you explain? Most players list Acidic as being better.
Being able to confirm meter, having a stronger footsie game with standing 2 and rekkas, rekkas being so strong in a lot of match ups, a 9 frame multi hitting armored launcher, Kung Jin jump 2 tech in the corner when you end combos with db1, and I believe that Acidic has a worse MU chart.

Acidic's corner game is good, but i'd almost rather have a hard knockdown with rekkas, than be +1 with dot.

Being able to confirm meter off of B3 and F4 can not be stressed enough. It's so huge.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i don't know if you guys know this, but if u do a grounded combo into Ex flip, run up with a well timed 33~acid blood, you'll actually restand the opponent with the last few active frames of the move, and i think it leaves you massively plus.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
It's known, but you cut your damage short by quite a large margin. On top of that, varying launch heights and character hit boxes can mess up the timing of the restand so that you aren't as plus as you would think. Even the most plus restands no longer guarantee the 50/50s as far as I know.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If been using the db1, jb2 "Kung Jin tech" in my corner combos. When I watch some Aliens like Tweedy or REO, they will mostly end in pounce. Why? I can't really find reason for it, maybe I'm missing something?!

Tweedy

Noob
Imo Tarkatan's only definite 4-6s are Flamefist and Special Forces Sonya. All of the other matches, like Jax, Demo, Cutthroat, or any of the other debatables, are like 4.5-5.5. Just the slightest disadvantage.

The thing about those two matches, is that Alien is plagued by weird MU quirks. The inability to jump out of stuff and take WP drastically out of Kang's favor, like other characters can. The inability to harass the drone due to his lack of a projectile. If it weren't for those two matches Tarkatan would probably be the best character in the game. Due to them I think Demolition has a bit of a better MU chart. Just remember, as Dab showed, a 4-6 is very winnable. It's not that bad.

I feel pretty confident taking 100% Tarkatan into TCW and getting top 8 if not top 4. No War God, no Acidic, no pocket Mileena, just Tarkatan. Wish me luck boys.

If been using the db1, jb2 "Kung Jin tech" in my corner combos. When I watch some Aliens like Tweedy or REO, they will mostly end in pounce. Why? I can't really find reason for it, maybe I'm missing something?!
Late to this.

It whiffs on a lot of crouching hitboxes. That and i'm really comfortable with pounce oki. It just ends up not being as good as Kung Jin's in a lot of cases, sadly. I guess not sadly for every non-Alien player.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I don't see how Cutthroat can be debated as an even MU. I'm sure you know how Kano can punish virtually all of Alien's enders after F134. Plus, Kano's anti airs actually work vs Alien.

Of course, Alien still has better footsies and can get around the knife zoning. I just don't think it's enough.

Tweedy

Noob
I don't see how Cutthroat can be debated as an even MU. I'm sure you know how Kano can punish virtually all of Alien's enders after F134. Plus, Kano's anti airs actually work vs Alien.

Of course, Alien still has better footsies and can get around the knife zoning. I just don't think it's enough.
Yeah, it's very slight advantage for Cutthroat IMO.