What's new

General/Other - Tarkatan XL Tarkatan Alien Discussion Thread

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
'unfolds lawn chair'

I'm gonna sit in this thread until I find something broken with this variation.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Damage seems kinda average, BF4EX seems to scale least out of all his combo extenders/launchers though. F23434 might be my favourite string in the game because I love flurry type strings like that Kreygasm. Thank the lords of balance all his rekka options are full combo punishable lol.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think the only thing this variation breaks is the opponent's confidence in their ability to guess correctly. So many chances to mixup
Yeah at first I was a bit worried about his damage, but it's so easy to open people up and poke away chunks so it balances itself out.

It can get +30% off of a lot of stuff so he isn't too weak once you get going, but it's definitely a momentum variation.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Silly note, you can do a naked db1 in the corner and then d1~whatever (db1, exbf1, etc).

Df3 seems to be his best ender since it leaves you in range for b3/f4, but can be backdashed and armored. Although if you time his b3 right you can actually catch your opponent in mid dash.

ArmedCalf

Yeah I played a buddy in a Tarkatan mirror. This variation makes people reeeeeeally have to watch what you're doing to react to the mix-ups

Jolt

Uprise
So, I haven't watched Dink's video yet, but I found what I thought was an interesting (and useful) midscreen combo/setup? Takes a bar, and probably isn't optimized. This setup totals to about 38% for a bar by my count and leaves potential to mixup and hopefully open some up.

B11U4 RC B11U4 f23~EX Krawl F23~BF2 1 does 33% and leaves you +15 with them in hit stun
This guarantees 4.88 chip from F134~BF4

Totals to about 37/38% 1 Bar, mostly safe (not many characters have 6f normals or 7f reversals)

But on top of that, there's mixup potential if you want to take a risk.

F134 ends in a low, so we could do f13 flip to open someone up or f134 tail snag, etc. Also the good old 50/50 throw once they respect this option.
Remember, it's +15 so there are more options. This was just the highest guaranteed chip I found (no gap or anything)

Really this is only relevant when we'd rather not respect armor/a wakeup. If they don't have meter, we would use other enders for hopefully more damage

Full disclosure before I get bodied: Tested with AI set to auto block and jump. Haven't recoreded with myself mashing armor/Xray or tried it with a friend just yet. It's day one lol I'm allowed to have errors

ArmedCalf

So, I haven't watched Dink's video yet, but I found what I thought was an interesting (and useful) midscreen combo/setup? Takes a bar, and probably isn't optimized. This setup totals to about 38% for a bar by my count and leaves potential to mixup and hopefully open some up.

B11U4 RC B11U4 f23~EX Krawl F23~BF2 1 does 33% and leaves you +15 with them in hit stun
This guarantees 4.88 chip from F134~BF4

Totals to about 37/38% 1 Bar, mostly safe (not many characters have 6f normals or 7f reversals)

But on top of that, there's mixup potential if you want to take a risk.

F134 ends in a low, so we could do f13 flip to open someone up or f134 tail snag, etc. Also the good old 50/50 throw once they respect this option.
Remember, it's +15 so there are more options. This was just the highest guaranteed chip I found (no gap or anything)

Really this is only relevant when we'd rather not respect armor/a wakeup. If they don't have meter, we would use other enders for hopefully more damage

Full disclosure before I get bodied: Tested with AI set to auto block and jump. Haven't recoreded with myself mashing armor/Xray or tried it with a friend just yet. It's day one lol I'm allowed to have errors
Sounds neat! I wanna mess with this tm. Also Dink was doing U3 in his combos. Anyway we can use that to hit 40%?:p

Jolt

Uprise
Sounds neat! I wanna mess with this tm. Also Dink was doing U3 in his combos. Anyway we can use that to hit 40%?:p
FACT: I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THIS VARIATION HAD A U3. Hey, @KingKhrystopher how about you put our frame data on the project website? ;)

Haha, if he doesn't I'll do it tomorrow and he can do frames for his precious Triborg.

I'm gonna mess with U3 in the combos and watch Dink's video before bed

EDIT: And as far as optimizing this setup goes, we're looking for ways to increase the damage with the full string ending in bf2~1. Needs to be higher than 33%. After that, the 4.88% chip should be guaranteed (if we so choose to take it) so we just tack that on

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Here's a guide I made on basic strats on this character. Super fun, pretty straightforward, great rushdown.

All of his jump ins are the same across variations, for clarity's sake.

I really want to like this variation but I'm not sure how great the rekkas will be with how unsafe they are(I thought all hits were unsafe but I only looked once so correct me if i'm wrong anybody).

Hope it turns out i'm wrong because I miss Baraka :(

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
FACT: I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THIS VARIATION HAD A U3. Hey, @KingKhrystopher how about you put our frame data on the project website? ;)

Haha, if he doesn't I'll do it tomorrow and he can do frames for his precious Triborg.

I'm gonna mess with U3 in the combos and watch Dink's video before bed
Don't worry, I didn't know till this morning, I thought thought that move was variation specific to Acidic and didn't even bother to try it in Tarkatan.

ArmedCalf

All of his jump ins are the same across variations, for clarity's sake.

I really want to like this variation but I'm not sure how great the rekkas will be with how unsafe they are(I thought all hits were unsafe but I only looked once so correct me if i'm wrong anybody).

Hope it turns out i'm wrong because I miss Baraka :(
I set Kung Lao to reversal spin, seems no matter how you slice it if they block right or you delay too long you're getting punished

Zoidberg747

I set Kung Lao to reversal spin, seems no matter how you slice it if they block right or you delay too long you're getting punished
So you basically have to live or die by the 50/50. Which would be fine except your reward is knockdown and nothing else. At least the other variations have ways to combo with meter.

Zoidberg747

What do you mean by this? He can combo with meter in this variation, unless i'm confusing what you're trying to say.
Im talking about the rekkas which is generally what I think this variation would add to the character. If the rekkas are blocked you have to go for a high risk/low reward 50/50, whereas his 50/50s in other variations at least have one meter burned option that can lead to a combo. I just can't see what he gets in this variation that would make you use it over acidic and konjurer, which both look really strong and fun.

But its early and ill keep grinding with him. Could definitely be missing something.

Jolt

Uprise
Found an easier improvement to the above setup. A whole percent increase lol

b11u4 run f134~EX Krawl F23434~bf2~1 does 34% for a bar, leaves you +15 to end with the 4.88% chip (38-39% total 1 bar). Same options to mixup/try to open someone up after.

If you'd rather put OKI pressure, there are definitely more damaging options but I'm not ready to dismiss this entirely lol.
I'm headed to bed, it would be nice if someone would double check that the chip is GUARANTEED. You'll notice that you're in slight stun after doing bf2~1, so make sure you get used to the timing of when you can actually press a button. After that, just record yourself doing the combo while you control the other character and mash like your life depends on it

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So I've been playing around with this character, and I feel like this variation is going to be very strong, and highly viable for people of a certain playstyle, and most likely the strongest variation this character has. He has some really nice shit that is going to really make him hard to deal with in the right hands.

Now we all know Alien has some pretty nice spacing tools and specials universally. So you might initially think that, oh ok, a variation that gives him a bunch more range strings and more armor? this just seems like a bunch of irrelevant overkill right? This was my initial reaction when I took him to the lab and saw what his variation unique tools actually were after 5 minutes, I thought this variation was going to be the "Warrior Predator" of the Xenomorph.

However, after peering a bit further into the depth of his shit, this is not the case at. His variation specific shit, has 2 AMAZING tools right off the bat, that are not only tools good enough to stand out in Alien's kit, but are quite possibly the best 2 buttons for their individual role.

- first up is his "Rekka", aka Tarkatan Rush, BF2 . It's not just a special that you cancel into - it is quite definitely THE best advancing move in the game at 15 frames or slower. The range on this is incredible. To put it in perspect, it outranges Quan Chi's B2 which is also 15 frames - except it has a very fast follow up hit that also reaches significantly further again in case you whiff the first hit. Quan Chi's is a mid, yes - but it also costs a bar to be safe AND to combo. Alien's may just be mid but when you are at the range that only one move can hit you anyway, being overhead isn't very relevant - and the trade offs he makes for this is that he gets to go into a guessing game on block, AND meterless. and on hit he can confirm (VERY easily, the timing on anything Rekka related is super flexible) and combo in to it for a bar. So there is no way to describe this button other than amazing. Oh, and as a bonus you can meterburn it for armor ;)

- second up is his 214 string. Basically, it's a 9 frame high that reaches as far as most characters D4 (further than some). It's easily hitconfirmable and gapless if left un-cancelled. On block, the first 3 hits do 2.2% chip, and the final hit goes low, and does and an additional 1.4% chip, but it won't come out if cancelled. It also has very little scaling, and it's a great combo tool. But basically, it's just one of the best high strings in the game. Easily compared to Scorps 214 which does the same amount of chip on the first 3 hits and also cancels into combo, it has the benefit of being much and I mean MUCH easier to apply with its range and its start up frames, and pokes that actually properly jail into it. Now, obviously Alien can't cancel into a FBC and loop it like Scorp can, however Alien has the benefit of being gapless, and having a pressure / guessing game of his own with it, being able to cancel it into the Rekka guessing game, letting it finish and hitting them with the 4th hit the low, which does 7% and gives a Hard Knockdown (although only 8 frames of advantage), or mixing your opponent up by hitting them with the Overhead special, Tail Flip. Now, the regular version of this is safe on block but when you cancel into it it does make a gap that isn't there if you go with any other option. The meterburned version of Tail Flip however is punishable on block so the gap is kinda irrelevant. And anyone trying to punish that gap is making a big read anyway because you are just as likely to get caught by the low, or even worse the Rekka, so this seems like a kind of deceptively nice mix-up.

- Now, as far as his Rekka pressure actually plays, it's interesting. Like Tanya's old Koba pressure, there will always be a gap/punish window (although a good Alien will be able to make it very ambiguous), and how he chooses to delay the buttons affects the frames of it, he can put the gap after the first hit and make the the entire string unpunishable, he can put it after the second and make the string unpunishable, or he can make it gapless, but the final hit will be punishable. A full Rekka on block builds about 40% of a bar of meter on block, and on hit it hitconfirms into a launcher, but for a bar of meter. So to cut it down to the elements, it's Kobu's old Rekka, in just about every way.
And while that's basically it, there is a couple of other elements. But don't get fooled by the Overhead / Low / Grap mixup at the end, "Oh it's Kobu's pressure with a 50/50 at the end!!!!" no, its not. The overhead option is 24 frames and has a very telling animation. And the Grab doesn't go through on block. So basically, it's "block low, react to slow ass overhead, cover all options" and in fact, the Overhead is so slow that you have to put a serious gap in the first two hits for it to be gapless, otherwise you can literally react to it with armor and go straight through. This "mix-up" is basically is no way comparable to what Kobu had with being able to meterburn her final hit to be safe/plus, basically they've looked at that which was the really fucked part about the Rekka, and toned it down a notch, and given this gimmicky little "mix-up" to compensate, which seems fair to me.
On top of that, a lot of what made Tanya so strong elsewise was her B12 string was just so damn good at re-applying the Rekka after being plus, Alien's best string to apply his Rekka is his F1 or F2 string which are 1/2 frames slower and has no armor breaking properties, Tanya also had that safe armor breaking Armor which began her Rekka which also made it super easy to apply, Alien can open his with armor as well, but he doesn't have that armor breaking property to his.

So basically, it's the Rekka but without all the bullshit that made the Rekka broken, it's the same guessing game, but it seems now that is a much more fair one, where you get rewarded for making the right read whether Alien has meter or not. I'm undoubtably sure that nerfs will be clamoured for at first but probably less on when people learn how much fairer it is, however NRS knew exactly what they were doing with this they didn't just accidently clone Tanya's Rekka, they've basically re-implemented it in a more sensible, fair manner, so this seems good.

What it means for the Tanya however, is grim days. People are talking about Acidic completely outclassing Noxious Reptile, I mean in no way are those two characters even similar outside of vaguely similar DoT's that have more in common aesthetically than they do in gameplay. Tanya however, could have had a niche if they had left her Tonfa Toss pressure intact, or let her keep armor on her Rekka just make it not break, however she was hit fucking hard, and this is no Hunter vs Grandmaster like some people hard, at this stage, I really can't see how Alien doesn't make her character ENTIRELY redundant. But meh, that's an issue for Tanya that I'll support in threads relevant to her, but I felt it was worth including.

As for how to play the character in general and how to use his universal tools, this character will very much be about using his sick spacing and footsies with amazing reach and great pokes, then trying to hold on to your turn once you get it. Alien's application of his Rekka will involve B3xxRekka at long range, raw Rekka at closer midscreen, F1/F2xxRekka as close range fastest mids that both have advancing properties too, and 214xxRekka which is jailed into by both D1 and D4. I think he will play VERY defensive in the neutral and will be one of this game's very defensive characters, constantly backing up and trying to whiff moves or react to them with your dope defensive tools like D4, U3, and Uppercut as well as his safe midscreen reaching 15f advance (the Rekka itself) which is a great defensive tool even without the armor. Another thing is his Ji4, you can safely input Ji4xxTailFlip(air), on block it option selects and the Tail Flip does NOT come out at all but on hit ex-AirTailFlip goes into combo, so this basically guarantees you big damage from far range if your Ji4 hits, and safety (and no wasted meter) if it doesn't, so this seems like pretty good counter zoning. This is tactic is universal for his variations but especially good for this variation because he converts so well from it with 214. Ji3xxRekka is another tactic worth mentioning from a bit closer like close midscreen around the range of your Rekka, while it doesn't option select, on has very nice range and goes into Rekka on hit which you can then choose to extend into further combo for a bar, and on block I'm not sure the exact size of the gap frame wise but it still beats anything other than pokes and armor and goes straight into Rekka, and thats not to mention the fact you can armor the Rekka as well.

I'm not sure what will be the most viable tactics in practice, but I'm working on this variation, and an indepth guide will be coming when we get there.

Now, this all reads very strong, and I've made comparison to moves like Scorp's 214 and Quans B2, but you have to remember that while his buttons are better, the payoff is nowhere near as good, and Scorp can get 35% meterless into standing reset pressure for landing his version of the 214, Alien has to spend a bar just to get similar damage and no standing reset (we'll see if we can get higher when people properly flesh out his combos, though at the moment it's not looking like it), and comparing the payoff to Quan, there is just no comparison. He's highly grounded by his damage output and reliance on meter. One thing I'm not ever is a downplayer, and I wasn't even going to keep playing if the new DLC characters were deliberately broken to move units, however this character seems quite fair during my initial analysis of him, however it's all going to rest on the numbers and if he is able to put out Scorpion levels of damage he will be pretty broken, BUT I really think that's going to be impossible unless we are all missing something drastic at the moment.

I'll post some combo's in a moment.

@STB Shujinkydink
@SaltShaker
@Tweedy
@God Confirm
@B. Shazzy
@Zoidberg747

Last edited:

ArmedCalf

So I've been playing around with this character, and I feel like this variation is going to be very strong, and highly viable for people of a certain playstyle, and most likely the strongest variation this character has. He has some really nice shit that is going to really make him hard to deal with in the right hands.

Now we all know Alien has some pretty nice spacing tools and specials universally. So you might initially think that, oh ok, a variation that gives him a bunch more range strings and more armor? this just seems like a bunch of irrelevant overkill right? This was my initial reaction when I took him to the lab and saw what his variation unique tools actually were after 5 minutes, I thought this variation was going to be the "Warrior Predator" of the Xenomorph.

However, after peering a bit further into the depth of his shit, this is not the case at. His variation specific shit, has 2 AMAZING tools right off the bat, that are not only tools good enough to stand out in Alien's kit, but are quite possibly the best 2 buttons for their individual role.

- first up is his "Rekka", aka Tarkatan Rush, BF2 . It's not just a special that you cancel into - it is quite definitely THE best advancing move in the game at 15 frames or slower. The range on this is incredible. To put it in perspect, it outranges Quan Chi's B2 which is also 15 frames - except it has a very fast follow up hit that also reaches significantly further again in case you whiff the first hit. Quan Chi's is a mid, yes - but it also costs a bar to be safe AND to combo. Alien's may just be mid but when you are at the range that only one move can hit you anyway, being overhead isn't very relevant - and the trade offs he makes for this is that he gets to go into a guessing game on block, AND meterless. and on hit he can confirm (VERY easily, the timing on anything Rekka related is super flexible) and combo in to it for a bar. So there is no way to describe this button other than amazing. Oh, and as a bonus you can meterburn it for armor ;), which is by all accounts, safe armor.

- second up is his 214 string. Basically, it's a 9 frame high that reaches as far as most characters D4 (further than some). It's easily hitconfirmable and gapless if left un-cancelled. On block, the first 3 hits do 2.2% chip, and the final hit goes low, and does and an additional 1.4% chip, but it won't come out if cancelled. It also has very little scaling, and it's a great combo tool. But basically, it's just one of the best high strings in the game. Easily compared to Scorps 214 which does the same amount of chip on the first 3 hits and also cancels into combo, it has the benefit of being much and I mean MUCH easier to apply with its range and its start up frames, and pokes that actually properly jail into it. Now, obviously Alien can't cancel into a FBC and loop it like Scorp can, however Alien has the benefit of being gapless, and having a pressure / guessing game of his own with it, being able to cancel it into the Rekka guessing game, letting it finish and hitting them with the 4th hit the low, which does 7% and gives a Hard Knockdown (although only 8 frames of advantage), or mixing your opponent up by hitting them with the Overhead special, Tail Flip. Now, the regular version of this is safe on block but when you cancel into it it does make a gap that isn't there if you go with any other option. The meterburned version of Tail Flip however is punishable on block so the gap is kinda irrelevant. And anyone trying to punish that gap is making a big read anyway because you are just as likely to get caught by the low, or even worse the Rekka, so this seems like a kind of deceptively nice mix-up.

- Now, as far as his Rekka pressure actually plays, it's interesting. Like Tanya's old Koba pressure, there will always be a gap/punish window (although a good Alien will be able to make it very ambiguous), and how he chooses to delay the buttons affects the frames of it, he can put the gap after the first hit and make the the entire string unpunishable, he can put it after the second and make the string unpunishable, or he can make it gapless, but the final hit will be punishable. A full Rekka on block builds about 40% of a bar of meter on block, and on hit it hitconfirms into a launcher, but for a bar of meter. So to cut it down to the elements, it's Kobu's old Rekka, in just about every way.
And while that's basically it, there is a couple of other elements. But don't get fooled by the Overhead / Low / Grap mixup at the end, "Oh it's Kobu's pressure with a 50/50 at the end!!!!" no, its not. The overhead option is 24 frames and has a very telling animation. And the Grab doesn't go through on block. So basically, it's "block low, react to slow ass overhead, cover all options" and in fact, the Overhead is so slow that you have to put a serious gap in the first two hits for it to be gapless, otherwise you can literally react to it with armor and go straight through. This "mix-up" is basically is no way comparable to what Kobu had with being able to meterburn her final hit to be safe/plus, basically they've looked at that which was the really fucked part about the Rekka, and toned it down a notch, and given this gimmicky little "mix-up" to compensate, which seems fair to me.
On top of that, a lot of what made Tanya so strong elsewise was her B12 string was just so damn good at re-applying the Rekka after being plus, Alien's best string to apply his Rekka is his F1 or F2 string which are 1/2 frames slower and has no armor breaking properties, Tanya also had that safe armor breaking Armor which began her Rekka which also made it super easy to apply, Alien can open his with armor as well, but he doesn't have that armor breaking property to his.

So basically, it's the Rekka but without all the bullshit that made the Rekka broken, it's the same guessing game, but it seems now that is a much more fair one, where you get rewarded for making the right read whether Alien has meter or not. I'm undoubtably sure that nerfs will be clamoured for at first but probably less on when people learn how much fairer it is, however NRS knew exactly what they were doing with this they didn't just accidently clone Tanya's Rekka, they've basically re-implemented it in a more sensible, fair manner, so this seems good.

What it means for the Tanya however, is grim days. People are talking about Acidic completely outclassing Noxious Reptile, I mean in no way are those two characters even similar outside of vaguely similar DoT's that have more in common aesthetically than they do in gameplay. Tanya however, could have had a niche if they had left her Tonfa Toss pressure intact, or let her keep armor on her Rekka just make it not break, however she was hit fucking hard, and this is no Hunter vs Grandmaster like some people hard, at this stage, I really can't see how Alien doesn't make her character ENTIRELY redundant. But meh, that's an issue for Tanya that I'll support in threads relevant to her, but I felt it was worth including.

As for how to play the character in general and how to use his universal tools, this character will very much be about using his sick spacing and footsies with amazing reach and great pokes, then trying to hold on to your turn once you get it. Alien's application of his Rekka will involve B3xxRekka at long range, raw Rekka at closer midscreen, F1/F2xxRekka as close range fastest mids that both have advancing properties too, and 214xxRekka which is jailed into by both D1 and D4. I think he will play VERY defensive in the neutral and will be one of this game's very defensive characters, constantly backing up and trying to whiff moves or react to them with your dope defensive tools like D4, U3, and Uppercut as well as his safe midscreen reaching 15f advance (the Rekka itself) which is a great defensive tool even without the armor. Another thing is his Ji4, you can safely input Ji4xxTailFlip(air), on block it option selects and the Tail Flip does NOT come out at all but on hit ex-AirTailFlip goes into combo, so this basically guarantees you big damage from far range if your Ji4 hits, and safety (and no wasted meter) if it doesn't, so this seems like pretty good counter zoning. This is tactic is universal for his variations but especially good for this variation because he converts so well from it with 214. Ji3xxRekka is another tactic worth mentioning from a bit closer like close midscreen around the range of your Rekka, while it doesn't option select, on has very nice range and goes into Rekka on hit which you can then choose to extend into further combo for a bar, and on block I'm not sure the exact size of the gap frame wise but it still beats anything other than pokes and armor and goes straight into Rekka, and thats not to mention the fact you can armor the Rekka as well.

I'm not sure what will be the most viable tactics in practice, but I'm working on this variation, and an indepth guide will be coming when we get there.

Now, this all reads very strong, and I've made comparison to moves like Scorp's 214 and Quans B2, but you have to remember that while his buttons are better, the payoff is nowhere near as good, and Scorp can get 35% meterless into standing reset pressure for landing his version of the 214, Alien has to spend a bar just to get similar damage and no standing reset (we'll see if we can get higher when people properly flesh out his combos, though at the moment it's not looking like it), and comparing the payoff to Quan, there is just no comparison. He's highly grounded by his damage output and reliance on meter. One thing I'm not ever is a downplayer, and I wasn't even going to keep playing if the new DLC characters were deliberately broken to move units, however this character seems quite fair during my initial analysis of him, however it's all going to rest on the numbers and if he is able to put out Scorpion levels of damage he will be pretty broken, BUT I really think that's going to be impossible unless we are all missing something drastic at the moment.

I'll post some combo's in a moment.

@STB Shujinkydink
@SaltShaker
@Tweedy
@God Confirm
@B. Shazzy
@Zoidberg747
Okay wait, you may need to break this down for me here. I had Lao set on reversal spin and it seemed like no matter what I did or when I stopped the rekka it was an easy punish. Are you saying if you delay a hit and a human opponent misses the gap it's safe?

I GOT HANDS

Okay wait, you may need to break this down for me here. I had Lao set on reversal spin and it seemed like no matter what I did or when I stopped the rekka it was an easy punish. Are you saying if you delay a hit and a human opponent misses the gap it's safe?
Yup, that's exactly it mate. You can time it so there is a gap between the first 2 hits, but no gap between the second and third, and it's unpunishable on block.

Tweedy

Noob
With Tanya's rekkas you could stop at the first rekka to either stagger or bait armor, and be safe vs almost the entire cast at -7. You could also run through and do the EX on the third one, to be 100% safe at -2. With Alien's there's always going to be risk.

Not to mention since you can always backdash the mix up or the gaps, yeah, I don't know. We'll see how they develop.

Tarkatan's standing 2 and jump 1 are ridiculous, to say the least. Those two moves alone make the variation worth it.

Note: If they backdash the first rekka you can catch them with the grab. So when they have no meter, you can kind of go to town by delaying the first. Just a thought, idk.

I GOT HANDS

With Tanya's rekkas you could stop at the first rekka to either stagger or bait armor, and be safe vs almost the entire cast at -7. You could also run through and do the EX on the third one, to be 100% safe at -2. With Alien's there's always going to be risk.

Not to mention since you can always backdash the mix up or the gaps, yeah, I don't know. We'll see how they develop.

Tarkatan's standing 2 and jump 1 are ridiculous, to say the least. Those two moves alone make the variation worth it.

Note: If they backdash the first rekka you can catch them with the grab. So when they have no meter, you can kind of go to town by delaying the first. Just a thought, idk.
Just to add to this slightly, if they backdash the second gap, the overhead will catch them if you pressed it.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Yup, that's exactly it mate. You can time it so there is a gap between the first 2 hits, but no gap between the second and third, and it's unpunishable on block.
Hmmmmm very interesting. I just got off and i was in practice with him for about 3 hours trying to see just wat the hell was the point of Tarkatan if u can't utilize the rekkas. So glad I was proven wrong. They are useful and I can't wait to jump back on tomorrow to test some stuff out myself. Thank you a ton