What's new

General/Other - Takeda XL Takeda General Discussion Thread

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Best ass in the game <3 And that new costume? mmmmmmhmmmmmm. #yeshomo

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Noone? I played against a Takeda earlier. Havent played a Takeda in so long I started to wonder if hes ass or not. I hear hes pretty good noways instead of just played because hes fun now.

Misky

What is his worst MU? Or how many bad ones does he have?
Some people may disagree but I think he has very little bad match ups if any. He has none in my opinion if you count all three variations but are three are drastically different, it depends which variation you're talking about really.

Reauxbot

Which variation is his best now? Everyone was playing Shirai Ryu, i I spelled that right at all, and i barely would ever play against Lasher..
Matter of fact since Im asking.
What purpose does each variation serve? Ronin feels rush down but then so does S.R.
Idk anything about Lasher at all besides spinning whips

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Some people may disagree but I think he has very little bad match ups if any. He has none in my opinion if you count all three variations but are three are drastically different, it depends which variation you're talking about really.
Well, all of his variations are great but I only have issues with Shira Ryu. Any bad MUs for that variation IYO?

Misky

Which variation is his best now? Everyone was playing Shirai Ryu, i I spelled that right at all, and i barely would ever play against Lasher..
What purpose does each variation serve? Ronin feels rush down but then so does S.R.
Shirai Ryu is the one I know the least about to be honest but it's pretty the most balanced style of the three, it has options for a little bit of distance game as well the close in offensive options. Ronin like you said is a lot more rush down based and has a pretty fast over head low option that can put on insane pressure when combined with dropping the sword then linking in to calling it up again and repeating, if played correctly it is very damn awesome.
Lasher is the one I main, it's very neglected by most people. It is all about your spacing; you keep your opponent exactly where you want and has lots of combos that help you do just that, it also has the best corner combos out of the three, you also get a fantastic anti air move in this variation as well. The best thing about this variation in my opinion is the the jump whip attacks you get on f1 and f2. You can jump away (therefore dodging most attacks) whip in air for +2 and then attack low or overhead for a full combo or you can jump in and still be relatively safe while you start up your combo or just grab. I believe it's the best and the most reach on a jump attack in the game. A lot of people don't know how to deal with Lasher either but he can have a little trouble with when characters get you cornered or come in very easily with a safe teleport and ruin his spacing.

Takeda's greatest weakness on Lasher (and in Shirai actually in some ways) is when you manage to backdash or other wise make his whip combos whiff. Most of his moves are 100% safe but when you whiff a whip attack he is left wiiiiiiide open for a full punish with very little he can do about it. My personal greatest weaknesses on Lasher are Shinnok (Imposter) Johnny Cage (All varations) and Milena (Piercing). Cage can get in very fast with his shadow kick and his pressure is insane. Shinnok has some really good pressure and his hell sparks give him a good option even when at a distance, They'll normally hit you before you can get your whips going. Milena can teleport in and ruin that spacing or throw sais from her distance too, both combined make her somewhat of a nightmare at times, she can also attack much faster than Lasher (and Shirai) can. On Both Shirai and Lasher he gets a hard to block set up as well for one bar on the tri-kunai attack but Shirai can combo on it better.

Misky

Well, all of his variations are great but I only have issues with Shira Ryu. Any bad MUs for that variation IYO?
I just mentioned a few just now in the post above. Your best bet are characters that can teleport fairly safely and or have some zoning tools. To me Shinnok (Imposter) is the greatest pain in the ass to deal with out of the whole cast. Quan chi (Sorcerer) is actually a huge pain as well because of his zoning tools and his armor summon. Once he has that up Takeda can't do a whole lot about it to break through easily.

Reauxbot

Shirai Ryu is the one I know the least about to be honest but it's pretty the most balanced style of the three, it has options for a little bit of distance game as well the close in offensive options. Ronin like you said is a lot more rush down based and has a pretty fast over head low option that can put on insane pressure when combined with dropping the sword then linking in to calling it up again and repeating, if played correctly it is very damn awesome.
Lasher is the one I main, it's very neglected by most people. It is all about your spacing; you keep your opponent exactly where you want and has lots of combos that help you do just that, it also has the best corner combos out of the three, you also get a fantastic anti air move in this variation as well. The best thing about this variation in my opinion is the the jump whip attacks you get on f1 and f2. You can jump away (therefore dodging most attacks) whip in air for +2 and then attack low or overhead for a full combo or you can jump in and still be relatively safe while you start up your combo or just grab. I believe it's the best and the most reach on a jump attack in the game. A lot of people don't know how to deal with Lasher either but he can have a little trouble with when characters get you cornered or come in very easily with a safe teleport and ruin his spacing.

Takeda's greatest weakness on Lasher (and in Shirai actually in some ways) is when you manage to backdash or other wise make his whip combos whiff. Most of his moves are 100% safe but when you whiff a whip attack he is left wiiiiiiide open for a full punish with very little he can do about it. My personal greatest weaknesses on Lasher are Shinnok (Imposter) Johnny Cage (All varations) and Milena (Piercing). Cage can get in very fast with his shadow kick and his pressure is insane. Shinnok has some really good pressure and his hell sparks give him a good option even when at a distance, They'll normally hit you before you can get your whips going. Milena can teleport in and ruin that spacing or throw sais from her distance too, both combined make her somewhat of a nightmare at times, she can also attack much faster than Lasher (and Shirai) can. On Both Shirai and Lasher he gets a hard to block set up as well for one bar on the tri-kunai attack but Shirai can combo on it better.
Would you go with S.R. for the Mileena matchup? I dont know if you can teleport in on her sais on reaction or not. I havent played Takeda in a very long time. Im trying to find a good secondary. Noones playing Takeda for whatever reason. Im assuming he still sucks

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Would you go with S.R. for the Mileena matchup? I dont know if you can teleport in on her sais on reaction or not. I havent played Takeda in a very long time. Im trying to find a good secondary. Noones playing Takeda for whatever reason. Im assuming he still sucks
Never use SR against Mileena Piercing. She can easily Break all SR wakeup options with b1,2 and yes, all of them. Ronin would be a better MU for Mileena because he has a much better wakeup, and he can reflect Mileena's Sais

Last edited:
Never use SR against Mileena Piercing. She can easily Break all SR wakeup options with b1,2 and yes, all of them. Ronin would be a better MU for Mileena because he cause a much better wakeup, and he can reflect Mileena's Sais
I think she also breaks ronin s wake ups but ronin is better in that matchup because of b11 that you can use to contest her b12

Takeda is actually pretty great all is variations are viable and he has few bad matchups and dominate some others

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Takeda is actually pretty great all is variations are viable and he has few bad matchups and dominate some others
Yeah Takeda seems fine overall especially since the netcode update he became so much fun to play. I've just been focusing on other characters recently, specifically the Kombat Pack 2 characters. Well, at least I was until the patch...:(

War god is a soft bad MU for all of takeda s variations Piercing mileena too maybe but it depends ronin will most likely deal with her but you need to know your options

Ronin and SR are tied for his best IMO it mostly depend on your playstyle and which way you prefer to go
Ronin is rushdown and readbased depending agaisnt who you re playing
SR is more defensive and trying to catch your opponent while he is making a mistake to punish him for a lot of damage (the fact that he gets good damage off almost all is normals in that variation helps)
Ronin is about space control and 50/50s

Wigy

There it is...
SR Covers his matchups where you need to get around zoning, kitana etc.

Ronin i find good versus strong rushdown characters that control space well, like d'vora.

Lasher i don't get, hes already great at space control, so why give up teleport or insane normals for slightly better space control

Ronin i find good versus strong rushdown characters that control space well, like d'vora.

Lasher i don't get, hes already great at space control, so why give up teleport or insane normals for slightly better space control
SR does better vs dvorah IMO the whips help a lot
Lasher is good when u want to keep your opponent away and 50/50 them also it DESTROYS GM subs

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin

I think Lasher has more to do with the corner game, which all the other variations are also good at. Just Lasher seems to do it better.
(It has been discussed for making quick phase universal :DOGE)

I think Lasher has more to do with the corner game, which all the other variations are also good at. Just Lasher seems to do it better.
(It has been discussed for making quick phase universal :DOGE)
I never got that Lasher has better corner damage in the corner it hits just as hard as SR if you giveup the hardknockdown

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I never got that Lasher has better corner damage in the corner it hits just as hard as SR if you giveup the hardknockdown
Which corner though? Because if I remember correctly one of SR's optimal corner combos could be done on the right corner but not the left :DOGE

Reauxbot

This fucker takes quite a bit more practice than I thought. -___-
Ronin combos have odd spacing control. Is his instant teleport safe or people not punishing it. I was watching the Video thread and people were getting away with it..
Also how much has Takeda changed? Only asking because most videos are like 2015 and all. Trying to see what dates are relevant to watch

This fucker takes quite a bit more practice than I thought. -___-
Ronin combos have odd spacing control. Is his instant teleport safe or people not punishing it. I was watching the Video thread and people were getting away with it..
Also how much has Takeda changed? Only asking because most videos are like 2015 and all. Trying to see what dates are relevant to watch
He hasn t changed since June the instant air tele is safe ish do it once to test their reaction If they can punish it don t use it with ronin it s better to hit confirm and to decide then what you want to do

Misky

Lasher is amazing man, you have much faster wake ups that you do on Shirai as well as much more range on them and better mix ups. You'd just have to play around with it the really get it, most people don't.