What's new

General/Other - Sektor XL Sektor Discussion Thread

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What is the best way to deal with low profiling?

Being at advantage but getting D3'd and D1'd for free.
As annoying as it is I find myself having to check with D3 quite often in some matchups. I find Cage's D4 to be really fucking obnoxious for Sektor to deal with. Not only does our normals not have that kind of range, but it goes under all our normals.

myri

Time Warrior
As annoying as it is I find myself having to check with D3 quite often in some matchups. I find Cage's D4 to be really fucking obnoxious for Sektor to deal with. Not only does our normals not have that kind of range, but it goes under all our normals.
Put the fear in them with up missles and ex up missles, that'll make 'em think twice.

Side note, I'm curious as to why you dropped Sub Zero and picked up Sektor?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Put the fear in them with up missles and ex up missles, that'll make 'em think twice.

Side note, I'm curious as to why you dropped Sub Zero and picked up Sektor?
I feel like Sub-Zero is making me worse at the game. It has nothing to do with him being good or bad, Grandmaster is amazing right now. He's not that fun to me anymore either. The way the character is designed bugs too. I don't learn anything about the game by getting a knockdown, putting up a klone and doing 50/50s. If I play a Jax or a Kotal I don't get better because I have one move that plays the game for me. On the contrary I never learned anything by getting raped by a Takeda or a D'Vorah. I think Sub is just a poorly designed character, which pains me to say because he's my favorite MK character. I also find the mentality of the Sub-Zero community to be disturbing to say the least.

I picked up Sektor because I think cyber ninjas are fucking cool and Sektor is a lot of fun, he's very very good right now, and he has a lot of tools and versatility for me to find my own style with him whereas every Grandmaster ultimately does the same thing.

myri

Time Warrior
I feel like Sub-Zero is making me worse at the game. It has nothing to do with him being good or bad, Grandmaster is amazing right now. He's not that fun to me anymore either. The way the character is designed bugs too. I don't learn anything about the game by getting a knockdown, putting up a klone and doing 50/50s. If I play a Jax or a Kotal I don't get better because I have one move that plays the game for me. On the contrary I never learned anything by getting raped by a Takeda or a D'Vorah. I think Sub is just a poorly designed character, which pains me to say because he's my favorite MK character. I also find the mentality of the Sub-Zero community to be disturbing to say the least.

I picked up Sektor because I think cyber ninjas are fucking cool and Sektor is a lot of fun, he's very very good right now, and he has a lot of tools and versatility for me to find my own style with him whereas every Grandmaster ultimately does the same thing.
Fair enough.

Up missles are great for pressure especially the ex ones, 114 into ex up missle or 212 ex up missle is so strong, guarantees pretty much whatever you want, plus if they keep blocking you build more meter for more missles.

thlityoursloat

kick kick

I'm glad you're honest. Of course there's hardly anything to learn in a a 8-2 matchup. :p

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea that's my biggest problem. Sometimes I KNOW the low poke is coming and still get hit lol.

And yea, Sub will have you getting murdered in Inj2.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yea that's my biggest problem. Sometimes I KNOW the low poke is coming and still get hit lol.

And yea, Sub will have you getting murdered in Inj2.
Yeah lol I'm trying to distance myself from him. And D3 is only minus 3 and it's 8 frames and low profiles so it's really good to check low pokes with.

omooba

fear the moobs
regarding low-profiling why not just d3 if you think they will d4 or even b3 if you have enough advantage. you have good pokes so just play the game like your character has no mids only highs

Anyone know how to deal with Grandmaster properly? I don't have problems with a Grandmaster that suddenly goes crazy on you and tries to do "rushdown" mid-screen, but the patient Grandmasters are the ones that are giving me a hard time. Especially since they can wait when you zone then and when do they need to slide to get near you and playing the defensive game with their clones mid-screen while they push you for the corner. Any tips?

I play with a friend frequently who mains Stunt-Double. When he does his D4's I normally do B2+teleport BUT only if I know that he's going to rush on me even if I blocked his D4. When I play with Smoke against him it gives him a hard time when I do F4D12 after his D4. Wish Sektor had a similar mid lol.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
Mileena's D3 doesn't go under F4. You may be confusing low profiling with a poorly spaced F4. If you're up close it'll win, assuming you were at enough advantage for F4 to win.

Roll can consistently beat F4 but not during it's start up. The roll has to be in full swing. That's a problem that most characters have and roll on block is death. Not that big of a deal imo.

Overall I don't see how low profiling is much of an issue for Sektor since he has crazy low profiling himself with D3, and has a hit confirmable mid that will stuff low profiling pokes.

This is one step away from a Mileena player complaining about low profiling tbh. I know F4 is unsafe but you can just poke back and play off of that, if you don't want to commit. There are some characters that cannot even do that.

I quoted nobody in specific because I feel like in general you guys are spreading a lot of misinformation.

Last edited:

FOXSOLID

Noob
Now if I suck, I suck. I mean I can't really tell at this point.

Mileena...her ridiculous low profiling never getting fixed in any of these patches is mind blowing. That bitch dying in the story is hopefully the last we see of her.

Sorcerer Quan Chi...I'm not sure how they thought a portal that gives him armor wasn't broken as fucking balls. Once I'm locked into a corner...I'm at a loss of what to do here. 111 does break armor, but most times my timing is off and I get hit. I'm glad he's dead as well.

Shinnok's ground fireballs are broken broken broken...so fast, covers so much ground and can be meter burned for combos. He can start his shit from anywhere on screen. Insanity. His normals also seem to have a lot of block stun. (Unless it seems that way because it's online) Oh and then we have what...a 7 frame LOW combo starter? That's also one of those moves that seems to have abnormal block stun. Idk why.

Tanya Naganwhateverthefuck...I actually just want some tips for this one...barely anyone plays it when I play but when I see one...they're usually very good and I get fucking mopped. She's all over the place, but I feel like I'm doing a lot wrong.

Johnny Cage's constant restands, cancels and stagger combos in A-List are extremely hard to read. Constant guessing games.

Again if I suck, I suck...but yeah, I had to vent.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Mileenas a bad matchup, just try to force a mistake and capitalize, be sure you're not being repetitive and be going max damage.

I actually have never played Sektor vs Shinnok.

Same with Naginata, she always mops me it's hard to learn a matchup for a character nobody uses, I'm sure you're not alone here.

It doesn't mean you suck admitting your shortcomings is a good step.

Johnny Cage is probably a winning matchup for Sektor but when I played Sektor I still hated that matchup because of the damn D4 dumping on all of Sektor's mids and out ranging him.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Well I'm not a Sektor player but apparently Shinnok loses to Sektor? Or so I've heard. Just play the full screen game. Stay out of range from hell sparks and shoot missiles and pick your teleport moments. Use your bar to stay safe on the teleport if you have to

FOXSOLID

Noob
Well I'm not a Sektor player but apparently Shinnok loses to Sektor? Or so I've heard. Just play the full screen game. Stay out of range from hell sparks and shoot missiles and pick your teleport moments. Use your bar to stay safe on the teleport if you have to
Yeah I try to, Imposter's teleport is a little annoying with input delay, I'm sure I could react to it better offline, but it's a hit or miss when I'm online. Also depends on how close to the ground he is when he executes it.

TheGangstaFace

Yeah I try to, Imposter's teleport is a little annoying with input delay, I'm sure I could react to it better offline, but it's a hit or miss when I'm online. Also depends on how close to the ground he is when he executes it.
Do you play on a tv? I typically don't have too many problems with the teleport. Also idk how fast triborgs D2 is. I used to have a problem with the instant air tele too but after playing against it enough you learn how to watch out for it and react

FOXSOLID

Noob
Do you play on a tv? I typically don't have too many problems with the teleport. Also idk how fast triborgs D2 is. I used to have a problem with the instant air tele too but after playing against it enough you learn how to watch out for it and react
Yeah my TV is a bit dated actually, maybe that contributes. I'm waiting on a PS4 Pro price drop to make a 4K switch.

TheGangstaFace

Yeah my TV is a bit dated actually, maybe that contributes. I'm waiting on a PS4 Pro price drop to make a 4K switch.
Ahh. Well I was gonna mention getting a monitor. Monitors have way better response time and better display time so it's easier to react to things. But if you plan on getting a 4k tv then that's all on you lol