What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Noob
What've we used up to now? Guess work and recordings?
I think people use the jump method and go frame by frame to get an accurate estimate as to how plus something is.

That's what I usually do, i'll just use a character with a fast reversal and set the AI to block/reversal. Then when I do a plus move, I just jump to get an idea of how plus the move is. The higher you are in the air before the reversal from the AI comes out, the more + you are.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I think people use the jump method and go frame by frame to get an accurate estimate as to how plus something is.

That's what I usually do, i'll just use a character with a fast reversal and set the AI to block/reversal. Then when I do a plus move, I just jump to get an idea of how plus the move is. The higher you are in the air before the reversal from the AI comes out, the more + you are.
That's what I've been doing too. I don't like it because it's hard to judge how + I am with jumping.

6ixty9

Noob
So what is a typical BnB that people are using now for max damage and also for ending in f21~ phase?

I'm just picking up the character now I can on pc and most combo video's are about his old vortex and frame data and terms can be confusing.

Is jailing like frame traps in street fighter?

I.e. F21~ phase 'jails' into s1. I assume that means opponent can push buttons because they aren't in hit/block stun but can't beat a s1 ergo frame trap?

GinTonicTrain

Lord_Minus_Frame
So what is a typical BnB that people are using now for max damage and also for ending in f21~ phase?

I'm just picking up the character now I can on pc and most combo video's are about his old vortex and frame data and terms can be confusing.

Is jailing like frame traps in street fighter?

I.e. F21~ phase 'jails' into s1. I assume that means opponent can push buttons because they aren't in hit/block stun but can't beat a s1 ergo frame trap?
the vortex/f21~phase combo is still the same. For vortex you have to end with JIP2 followed by an delayed overhead or low starter. For pressure you have to end in f21~phase. s1 jails if timed correctly.

(my) bnb's MAXdamage

f43~EXteleport; b21~trident; JIP 2; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 40% 1bar

111~EXteleport; NJP~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; S4~trident; JIP2; f43~airgrab 36% 1bar
(you can start this combo with f13/f21/b1/b3 as well)

b21~trident; JIP2; S4~EXteleport; NJP~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 37% 1bar

b21~trident; JIP2; f4d12~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 30% meterless

f4d12; runcancel; S4~smokebomb; NJP; b21~trident; JIP2; f43~airgrab 29% meterless

6ixty9

Noob
the vortex/f21~phase combo is still the same. For vortex you have to end with JIP2 followed by an delayed overhead or low starter. For pressure you have to end in f21~phase. s1 jails if timed correctly.

(my) bnb's MAXdamage

f43~EXteleport; b21~trident; JIP 2; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 40% 1bar

111~EXteleport; NJP~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; S4~trident; JIP2; f43~airgrab 36% 1bar
(you can start this combo with f13/f21/b1/b3 as well)

b21~trident; JIP2; S4~EXteleport; NJP~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 37% 1bar

b21~trident; JIP2; f4d12~runcancel; S4~smokebomb; f43~airgrab 30% meterless

f4d12; runcancel; S4~smokebomb; NJP; b21~trident; JIP2; f43~airgrab 29% meterless
Awesome thanks for the combos. Can you explain the vortex and f21 phase thing a bit?

How does it work exactly? I'm unsure of what you mean by jailing. Is that a frame trap?

Noob
Awesome thanks for the combos. Can you explain the vortex and f21 phase thing a bit?

How does it work exactly? I'm unsure of what you mean by jailing. Is that a frame trap?
S1/F1 is guaranteed after F21~phase on hit...if you time it correctly. So what that means is if the opponent pushes a button, you get a full combo punish.

6ixty9

Noob
S1/F1 is guaranteed after F21~phase on hit...if you time it correctly. So what that means is if the opponent pushes a button, you get a full combo punish.
Ok cool so it's like a frame trap... If they do anything other than block they're going to get hit.

I've been looking for videos and match footage that uses this f21 phase tech. Is it only new?

Noob
Ok cool so it's like a frame trap... If they do anything other than block they're going to get hit.

I've been looking for videos and match footage that uses this f21 phase tech. Is it only new?
I use it a lot, have a lot of saved footage of it actually haha.

Tech's not new. Not sure who uses it. I been using it a lot in the new patch because of B1 slowdown. Its great.

Your opponent has to guess low, oh, grab, or 111.

6ixty9

Noob
I use it a lot, have a lot of saved footage of it actually haha.

Tech's not new. Not sure who uses it. I been using it a lot in the new patch because of B1 slowdown. Its great.

Your opponent has to guess low, oh, grab, or 111.
Have you uploaded any of that footage that I could watch by any chance?

Edit: I found some of yours against m2dave in another thread. Nice stuff. Managed to see 1 example of the setup. It didn't pay off that time, oh well ;)

Last edited:

Noob
Have you uploaded any of that footage that I could watch by any chance?

Edit: I found some of yours against m2dave in another thread. Nice stuff. Managed to see 1 example of the setup. It didn't pay off that time, oh well ;)
Haha that was pre-patch footage.

Ill see if I can upload tomorrow