What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang XL Liu Kang Discussion Thread

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Liu Kang changes that I have noticed untill now:

1,1 was HIGH,MID, now it is HIGH,HIGH [nerf]
D2 has better hitbox [buff] (the best D2 in the game)
Dragon's Roar and Dragon's Wrath has better hitbox [buff]
B4 was -13 on block, now it has more pushback and it is -9 on block [buff] (Kang's B4 is the best B4 in the game I think)
(Dragon's Fire) Dragon Kick MB was +2 on block, now it is 0 on block [nerf]
(Dragon's Fire) His regular cancels got delayed in 1 frames [nerf]
(Dualist) Yin boost damage now stays on hit [buff]
(Flame Fist) his Windmill punch's hitbox got fixed [fix]

4 buffs, 3 nerfs and one fix. Liu Kang still is a very good character - In Dragon's Fire we gotta relearn his cancels again, but that's ok, it still is very good. In Flame Fist he got more affected because of the universal chip damage nerf and meter building nerf, but Flame Fist still is very good. And Dualist is a little bit better.

Last edited:

hshihab

Noob
I think you can't jail with FBRC with strings other than f213 now. This pretty much makes liu kang very boring. In mkx these strings used to jail (after FBRC): 112, f44, b34 and ofc f213. Now i think in xl, u r only able to jail with f213 :/

this is from @cR Xarakamaka last VOD on twitch

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I think you can't jail with FBRC with strings other than f213 now. This pretty much makes liu kang very boring. In mkx these strings used to jail (after FBRC): 112, f44, b34 and ofc f213. Now i think in xl, u r only able to jail with f213 :/

this is from @cR Xarakamaka last VOD on twitch
I'm new to LK but that's the feeling I'm getting. I can jail f44 into f44 or f213 but only with exfbrc. Other then that I can only get f213 FBRC f213 and f213 FBRC f44 to jail.

I thought maybe my execution just sucked

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
F213 is +11 so it jails off a 1 frame link
112, 44, and B34 are like +7
F44 is like +5
B12 and f12 are now like -3

Last I checked these should be the correct frame data.

Of course, this is if you cancel on the perfect frame, which I think is waiting 7 frames and then canceling. His frames are good but definitely not what they used to be.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
F44 is like +5

Of course, this is if you cancel on the perfect frame, which I think is waiting 7 frames and then canceling. His frames are good but definitely not what they used to be.
Thanks for the info. Any idea how many frames extra exFBRC gives you?

Bruno-NeoSpace

F44 is like +5

Thanks for the info. Any idea how many frames extra exFBRC gives you?
Actually, the regular fireball run cancels got nerfed in only 1 frame. :p

http://testyourmight.com/threads/current-advantageous-special-cancel-strings-for-liu-kang-across-all-variations-in-april-2016.59815/

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
So what are DF Kang's best options against GM Sub? I'm sure it has been talked about in the past but I'm new to Kang and I'm struggling.

So far I've got a Ji3, at certain times I get away with a well timed Ji1 and also just walk up and block shatter the clone. If I want to spend the meter I can armour or exBF1. Am I missing anything else?

Maybe DF isn't the best variation to use, I don't know.

Bruno-NeoSpace

So what are DF Kang's best options against GM Sub? I'm sure it has been talked about in the past but I'm new to Kang and I'm struggling.

So far I've got a Ji3, at certain times I get away with a well timed Ji1 and also just walk up and block shatter the clone. If I want to spend the meter I can armour or exBF1. Am I missing anything else?

Maybe DF isn't the best variation to use, I don't know.
Dragon's Fire vs Grandmaster is 5-5 or 4-6 for Grandmaster... I prefer Flame Fist against Grandmaster

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Dragon's Fire vs Grandmaster is 5-5 or 4-6 for Grandmaster... I prefer Flame Fist against Grandmaster
It definitely seems that way, though I'm still learning so I thought I might've been missing something useful. I didn't know how good I had it when playing Jacqui or Kitana against GM.

Why do you prefer flame fist for that MU?

Bruno-NeoSpace

It definitely seems that way, though I'm still learning so I thought I might've been missing something useful. I didn't know how good I had it when playing Jacqui or Kitana against GM.

Why do you prefer flame fist for that MU?
Grandmaster can disrespect Dragon's Fire pressure very easily - EX clone against every gap in Dragon's Fire pressure.

I prefer Flame Fist against Grandmaster because FF has better zoning (10% each fireball), a parry, a very good reversal, Dragon's Roar and Dragon's Wrath now has better hitbox, so Dragon's Wrath vs Icy Slide are going to trade (pre-patch the Icy Slide was winning), this way Sub-Zero has less options against the mixup game of Flame Fist.

Kaneki

UPR Kaneki
Once Grandmaster gets DF in the corner its pretty much a dead set game. Do yall see FF being the go to option in the Grandmaster MU. Like the post above me FF is seemingly much more suited in this type of situation because of the better zoning, parry, and reversal which makes a grandmaster think twice before pressing a button. I would probably change my mind and play DF against Cyromancer because of no clones but Kappa.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Jesus, the WP~SF~WP link is soul destroying. I've been at it for 2 days now and I get it maybe 1/30 times.

The execution is insane. I'm sure I've played against a FF who did this to me and I passed it off as nothing.

Never again.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Took me a while to get it but offline you do the fdf4 in the animation of sf. If its online it has to be a bit earlier due to the 3 frame delay. I use the ex version of the last wp for the armor

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Took me a while to get it but offline you do the fdf4 in the animation of sf. If its online it has to be a bit earlier due to the 3 frame delay. I use the ex version of the last wp for the armor
I play with the 3 frame delay on offline also so maybe doing it slightly earlier all the time will help. Thanks

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I think Flame Fist's worst match up is actually Blood God, as Flame Fists's strengths - zoning and chip damage mean nothing to him. Fireballs are parried on reaction from 3/4 to full screen and the totem's + sun ray make chip damage pretty ineffective. Flame Fist's lack of mixups really hurts him in this matchup, as it's really hard to hit Blood God with enough overheads and throws to do anything, after factoring in totem's and sun ray.

I don't see why Alien is a bad match up, when Liu can punish regular flip with f1, negate armouring from negative frames with b12, limit Alien's wake up game with b12 (Liu doesn't need to guess which wake-up it is, unlike most characters), and zone pretty effectively.

I also don't understand why a lot of the others are bad matchups (in particular, Ermac, Shinnok, Vicious, Shaolin, and Swarm Queen), although Liu is only my alt so it's quite possible I don't fully understand the match up.

Last edited: