What's new

General/Other - Cyrax XL Cyrax Discussion Thread

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Cyrax is a completely fine character that is going to take some getting used to, hopefully we find more tech with him.

Cyrax is awesome.

gndiego

Noob
Hello guys! First post here!

I have some experience with MK but I'm having a hard time so far wrapping my head around Cyrax. I can't seem yet to find a decent way to control space and open up the opposition. I've already mastered the easier part - the combos - but I always seem to get punished for trying to mix up my adversary.

Two questions:

What do you think are his best normals/strings so far?

How are you dealing with pressure and wakeup? I don't believe any of his ex specials has armor (wtf?)

Espio

Kokomo
I just picked up Cyrax today so I'm just tinkering.

Is anybody using standing 4 as an anti-air? You can combo into net and get pretty decent damage meterless off of it as well something in the 28ish range.

This may or may not be known, but is anybody using buzzsaw to make your mix ups safer if you don't wanna commit to net? Doing so off of your ten frame mid, overhead and low options is gapless and is only punishable by one character (Reptile), who has to use a bar of meter to even do that. The pushback is really good too as it gives you some nice spacing to play around with and the chip is decent.

John the Savage

"Safeties disabled, combat mode engaged."
It makes me sad that we get no decent armor option but then cyber sub who is better in almost every way get an 9 frame armored move and a overhead divekick.

gndiego

Noob
It makes me sad that we get no decent armor option but then cyber sub who is better in almost every way get an 9 frame armored move and a overhead divekick.
Cyrax looks like the hardest Triborg variation to pick up so far. He's like the new Quan: has no decent defensive options and relies on mix ups/setups. Cyrax might be even worse defensively lol Quan at least had an armored move, it sucked but at least it was there

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
*Comes to TYM*
*Reads: 4 is the best anti air in the game*
*Sees REO's video about CSZ where he explains 4 is the best anti air in the game*
*Goes in game, picks Triborg, tries to anti air Subzero's j1 with 4, eats piece of shit 50% meterless grandmaster combo*
*Quits game*

John the Savage

"Safeties disabled, combat mode engaged."
Cyrax looks like the hardest Triborg variation to pick up so far. He's like the new Quan: has no decent defensive options and relies on mix ups/setups. Cyrax might be even worse defensively lol Quan at least had an armored move, it sucked but at least it was there
That's what makes cyber sub so scary. He has better mix up/set ups than Cyrax and actually has a fast armor move.

I just wish teleport at least had armor standing and not just on wake up.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
Yeah, I thought it was just me but something about cyrax had me struggling at first in some matches. I know using a new character takes some adjustments, but his defense options are merely bombs which your opponent has to respect or just say fuck it and run in for an attack.

I was basically zoning with him and I'm like, this can't be right lol.

Idk, the cyborgs seem very complex with the bombs n setups. I can't wrap my head around it right now. I probably just need to adjust.

Bo seems fun even tho he's unsafe as hell. Gonna check him out.

And zoners, you can get a bomb out but you'll likely trade then be in a same situation. Using f34 after you have a drone above them you can punish a high projectile for 38%

Liu kang is a motherfucking nightmare
No way lol , he shuts down zoners hard with the bombs imo

Hmm. Predator was giving me issues even putting a bomb down and working my way in. I'll try again might just need to work on my cyrax game.
I'm not 100% experienced so what I said might not be true but it feels like it is , I haven't been playing cyrax that much yet cuz I'm learning sektor first and I think it's fair to say that cyrax is the hardest to play for me so far.

Wigy

There it is...
I'm not 100% experienced so what I said might not be true but it feels like it is , I haven't been playing cyrax that much yet cuz I'm learning sektor first and I think it's fair to say that cyrax is the hardest to play for me so far.
yeah cyrax is the hardest of triborgs variation from my experience.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I'd like to discuss Cyrax's meta here (much also applies to Triborg in general).

There is no gap in between D4-chestsaw (non-enhanced) on block, AND chestsaw is safe against the entire cast except Reptile's ex-slippery slide.
Against Reptile, D4-(ex)chestsaw is safe.

-D4 on hit jails into F13
-D4 on hit jails into 111 with a small run cancel

The following should be true against the entire cast except Reptile's ex-slipper slide (varies on string). If someone else could verify this, I'd appreciate it.

-111 on block is completely safe, UNLESS you cancel into any special. There's a gap that can be armored through at 111(gap)armored reversal.
*If you hit 111 from a little far, there is a gap in 1(1) they can armor through
-F131-chestsaw on block is completely safe
-F13 on block is completely safe (F131 is not safe)
-B1 overhead on block is completely safe
-21 on block is safe, but bad range
-B3 on block only safe from a distance
-F211 on block is completely safe
-F43 on block is safe, but there's a gap in F4(gap)3. On block, you can cancel F43 into teleport.

Cyrax definitely feels quite clunky. I really just wish his ex-AA had armor.

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Cyrax may be difficult in real matches, but his combos are super fun and look soooooo cool. Some of the best looking in the game :)

He is great fun in practice mode, but now I need to work out how to play him in a competitive situation. Given some of his weaknesses and my own weaknesses as a player, this may be a steep learning curve!

I think it will be him or Sektor for me out of the new DLC.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
Cyrax may be difficult in real matches, but his combos are super fun and look soooooo cool. Some of the best looking in the game :)

He is great fun in practice mode, but now I need to work out how to play him in a competitive situation. Given some of his weaknesses and my own weaknesses as a player, this may be a steep learning curve!

I think it will be him or Sektor for me out of the new DLC.
Yeah, same. I'm gonna lab smoke sektor and cyber more. Cyrax just seems to have bad defense. According to sonic, sektor and smoke are best. Cyber apparently suffers the same issues as erron, whatever those are.

-B1 overhead on block is completely safe
-21 on block is safe, but bad range
-B3 on block only safe from a distance
-F211 on block is completely safe
Important points from my day 1 labbin:

21 is high mid but +2 on block
D3 is 8 frame start up but +18 on hit and comes out in 6 frames after a blocked 21. B1 and b3 are 18 frame or faster.
F2 is his fastest mid (10 frames I think?)
B1 and b3 both cancel into ex bomb and can lead into combo on hit and ex bomb +8 on block, there is a gap they can armor during the cancel though.