What's new

General/Other - Butcher XL Butcher Leatherface General Discussion Thread

Bad Genez

Green
There wasn't a thread for this yet, and so far this is my favorite variation by far so I thought I'd kickstart the conversation.

Aside from having the most badass of the Brutalities in probably the entire game, he also gets a neat costume and some dirty meterless damage utilizing the variation specific strings/normals (Knockout is amazing.)

Discuss!

Bad Genez

Green
Lol, d4 ticks, who'da thought?

So, I'm not super knowledgable about frame data, but his f4 restands and has 15 frames of advantage on hit, so if you used that in the corner does that guarantee a follow up 2 or 22 string considering 2 starts in 14, and 22 in 9? I've found a few ways to end a combo in f4 and that could be really dirty since those are both special cancellable.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Seriously, I find the command grab pretty useless....
Isn't it 6 frames or something crazy like that? Can't remember for sure, game isn't open anymore. But that's a stupid fast cmd grab. Also Brutality from it is excellent if you haven't seen it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
the command grab is not meant for tick throws I don't think. But it's insane still . Put leather face on reversal using this and just do strings and he will punish them lol.
Seriously.

It's a 6 frame unblockable that also restands if done in combos. Useless is definitely not the word to describe it.

---

EX DB3 being 21% raw is hilarious.

P3irce

Noob
Seriously.

It's a 6 frame unblockable that also restands if done in combos. Useless is definitely not the word to describe it.

---

EX DB3 being 21% raw is hilarious.
Honestly this move is gonna seperate good leatherfaces from bad ones. The amount of things that become punishable is insane. Even counter poking becomes a weird guessing game against this move

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
And once it lands, the guessing game begins again.

---

Not really finding much use out of df4. It's the fastest of his chainsaw special at 17 frames, and it's "kind of" safe at -10, but it doesn't go as far as that rest and the swipe has some a narrow hitbox that you can't really get any solid combos with it. It's not even the most ideal for ending a blocked combo, because mallet strike is actually +2, which is of course much better than the inconsistent -10, though mallet strike is a bit slow it is an OH.

The only case where i've found that you can actually end with it and it isn't beaten out by db3 is with the combo f21d2 xx bd4 b2 f21d2 xx EX df4, which is 36% midscreen. And even then if you were to end it with EX db3 it would still be 36%, it just happens to be an odd case where the scaling make them even, so it's purely superior for the sake of style points.

Last edited:

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
So what's butcher like? Does it have potential to be great or should it be used purely to show off the greatest brutality in the game?

P3irce

Noob
So what's butcher like? Does it have potential to be great or should it be used purely to show off the greatest brutality in the game?
I think butcher will be the best leatherface. If a player is willing to learn all the frame data in the game, that command grab will blow most things over 5frames up. That alone has me thinking he'll be insane

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I think butcher will be the best leatherface. If a player is willing to learn all the frame data in the game, that command grab will blow most things over 5frames up. That alone has me thinking he'll be insane
Sounds promising. Maybe I'll give him a look. Thanks

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Just posting some of the Butcher stuff I have. Not different than what most have found:

Just showing his optimal punish off of F1. This is a pretty hefty price to pay, especially since he doesn't have to use any bar to get upwards of around 40%

Best armor punish. This move may be too slow to interrupt a lot of special cancels, but it's quite a bit of damage for interrupting and will surely beat out any possible trade.

This is the juicy one. Because it seems to take 1 frame to activate any armored move, and jumps obviously have startup, Leatherface can actually punish moves as low as -5 or -6 because the opponent simply can't get out of the way. This means that characters normally safe on their strings and moves (Goro, BS Shinnok f41d2, and Johnny F24 and F244) are actually unsafe and can be punished by regular or EN command grab (Which does like 20% or so). Veerrryyy interesting.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention (I show it off in the video) but the only way out of getting punished is to backdash since the invincibility avoids the grab. Leatherface will most likely go unpunished though, as backdashes have a lot of recovery in general and he recovers decently quick on whiff.