What's new

General/Other - Acidic XL Acidic Alien Discussion Thread

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Discussion for all things Acidic. Acidic Alien looks to be the zoning counterpart to Tarkatan. When i can I'll upload the specs for Xenomorph's Poison effects, starting damage, how many ticks, how much damage each tick does, etc...

But for now, the moves that do poison are Exo Sting, Air Exo Sting, d4, and Acid Blood.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
U3 also shoots Acid upwards and is a good AA against both Jip and Jik. Even on crossups sometimes but I'm still testing that at the moment.

Barring ridiculous "normalization" it is better to end combos in spray than Pounce or other enders currently. I tested with a pack of ketchup near the health bar (lol) and ending combos in Spray does more damage than all enders. You also are safe. Reptile EX Slide, WU tele, etc can't punish when you do a puddle after Spray enders. If they attempt something thinking you'll spray (non armor attempt) you can check them with pokes. So you have a mini guessing game.

In the corner end combos with Puddle restand. Use puddle to stop runs, but it does not stop slides.

Try not to get into too long of a fist brawl because he is relatively unsafe up close and veryyy unsafe without a bar for EX Spray on block. Some of the other rushdown characters can eat him up if he stays in close for too long in this variation.

For now, that's a starter point for those interested in Acidic.

Icefyre

Shadows
U3 also shoots Acid upwards and is a good AA against both Jip and Jik. Even on crossups sometimes but I'm still testing that at the moment.

Barring ridiculous "normalization" it is better to end combos in spray than Pounce or other enders currently. I tested with a pack of ketchup near the health bar (lol) and ending combos in Spray does more damage than all enders. You also are safe. Reptile EX Slide, WU tele, etc can't punish when you do a puddle after Spray enders. If they attempt something thinking you'll spray (non armor attempt) you can check them with pokes. So you have a mini guessing game.

In the corner end combos with Puddle restand. Use puddle to stop runs, but it does not stop slides.

Try not to get into too long of a fist brawl because he is relatively unsafe up close and veryyy unsafe without a bar for EX Spray on block. Some of the other rushdown characters can eat him up if he stays in close for too long in this variation.

For now, that's a starter point for those interested in Acidic.
I appreciate it! I won't bug you with additional questions, since I'll just be getting it tomorrow after work, but the insight is definitely appreciated. I was under the impression, though, that Acidic wouldn't be a "zoning" variation as much as it is a "spacing" or "footsie" variation utilizing his far reach with his tail and acid moves. Is this wrong?

And what's your impression of the variations as a whole so far? Too soon to speak, or do you already have a clear favorite/pick for potential best?

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I appreciate it! I won't bug you with additional questions, since I'll just be getting it tomorrow after work, but the insight is definitely appreciated. I was under the impression, though, that Acidic wouldn't be a "zoning" variation as much as it is a "spacing" or "footsie" variation utilizing his far reach with his tail and acid moves. Is this wrong?

And what's your impression of the variations as a whole so far? Too soon to speak, or do you already have a clear favorite/pick for potential best?
Entirely too soon. Maybe after viewing some of these KP2 tournaments, we'll see.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

No doubt man. It's a combination of space control and zoning because of his overall toolset. The Space in front of you is controlled really well it seems. UpSpray is a really good AA against Jip/Jik, the ranged normals are best at their optimal distance range. I would say he fares well as that type of character, can get overwhelmed by Johnny type characters when they get inside.

All 3 variations are good imo. Tarkatan for more agressive rushdown play, Konjurer for set up type play, Acidic for Space control play. It's not a situation where Kobu was clearly superior, more like Jax with 3 strong well designed variations for different playstyles. It'll come down to preference not tiers with the variations. Tools seems good on paper overall.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
If acidic is hypothetically a good space control character I would theoretically look forward to seeing new tech and his upcoming performance at final round. Specualtivley it would be great if we got one solid zoner after the others either didn't get touched or actually nerfed.

I'm sure acidic isn't good though so there is ofcourse no need for normalizations now or in the future.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If acidic is hypothetically a good space control character I would theoretically look forward to seeing new tech and his upcoming performance at final round. Specualtivley it would be great if we got one solid zoner after the others either didn't get touched or actually nerfed.

I'm sure acidic isn't good though so there is ofcourse no need for normalizations now or in the future.
My word choice in my posts is purposely chosen to enforce that Alien is a perfectly viable character at the moment, with significant weaknesses to balance out the character across all variations.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Trying to find some good midscreen bnbs, these are my results atm (the acid ticks are included):

1 Bar:

38% : f134xxEX Crawl, b11u4, f23xxspray (suggested by Saltshaker)
38% : b11u4, b11u4, f23xxEX Crawl, f23434xxspray
35% : B3/f4xxEX Crawl, b11u4, b11u4, b11xxspray
34% restand : b11u4, b11u4, f23xxEX Crawl, f23434xxacid blood
32% restand : f134xxEX Crawl, b11u4, b11xxacid blood

Meterless:

29 % : B11u4, b11u4, b11xxspray

The Alien turned out great, all three variations seems good. Acidic stacks up the poison do fast! Konjurer has some dirt, spawning a drone can make you safe on dome stuff. Tarkatan is oddly similar to our fellow Edenian but in a good way.
Guys, the tailflip has such a weird hitbox! AA u3 is a combo starter, you can follow up with f23, At least in Acidic. The main weakness of the Xenomorph is his speed

Icefyre

Shadows
Entirely too soon. Maybe after viewing some of these KP2 tournaments, we'll see.
I was asking more for first impressions, not any sort of definitive "WHICH ONE IS ZE BEST, DAWG?!?!". More asking his personal preference based on his experience. I understand the confusion though, my word choice was a little off.

No doubt man. It's a combination of space control and zoning because of his overall toolset. The Space in front of you is controlled really well it seems. UpSpray is a really good AA against Jip/Jik, the ranged normals are best at their optimal distance range. I would say he fares well as that type of character, can get overwhelmed by Johnny type characters when they get inside.

All 3 variations are good imo. Tarkatan for more agressive rushdown play, Konjurer for set up type play, Acidic for Space control play. It's not a situation where Kobu was clearly superior, more like Jax with 3 strong well designed variations for different playstyles. It'll come down to preference not tiers with the variations. Tools seems good on paper overall.
I'm actually a fan of this type of variation design. You've got me hyped for Alien the most, and I was originally looking forward to maining Smoke the second he came out. Acidic is more my thematic style with the acid blood, so I'll probably be putting the most time in this variation compared to the others.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I was asking more for first impressions, not any sort of definitive "WHICH ONE IS ZE BEST, DAWG?!?!". More asking his personal preference based on his experience. I understand the confusion though, my word choice was a little off.

I'm actually a fan of this type of variation design. You've got me hyped for Alien the most, and I was originally looking forward to maining Smoke the second he came out. Acidic is more my thematic style with the acid blood, so I'll probably be putting the most time in this variation compared to the others.
Oh, no shade intended on my part. I'm just saying that I personally have to wait before I can find a "best.'

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Would a Sim enthusiast really like this variation, are his long range buttons good and his zoning sound? Or is it still typical MKX rushdown strats with DOT flavoring?

yeah had a hard time against rushing, fast normals characters, its dangerous to do air spray too since they will run under and punish you, tarkatan can hold his own but i kept getting owned using acidic

Noob
Ok i got a 35% meterless combo in the corner, i just need to know one thing do acid ticks count for combo dmg % or the are ticking along side?? because if the think for % on the combo then thats the combos max damage, if not this combo does around 37% 38% something like that... let me know guys

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ok i got a 35% meterless combo in the corner, i just need to know one thing do acid ticks count for combo dmg % or the are ticking along side?? because if the think for % on the combo then thats the combos max damage, if not this combo does around 37% 38% something like that... let me know guys
You should see it still ticking a little after the combo, so it's likely 37-38% if you used Acid as the ender or towards the end.

Noob
You should see it still ticking a little after the combo, so it's likely 37-38% if you used Acid as the ender or towards the end.
im actually using it in the beginning so.. hmm i think the 2 ticks i put in finish befire the combo is done so you can still drop acid puddle if you want instead of finishing with the pounce... But the acid puddle will not hit it will just tick on the wakeup

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
im actually using it in the beginning so.. hmm i think the 2 ticks i put in finish befire the combo is done so you can still drop acid puddle if you want instead of finishing with the pounce... But the acid puddle will not hit it will just tick on the wakeup
Ah ok so your combo is likely doing 35% then. It's only on the enders mostly when it adds on after. Early on it counts inside the combo.

Reactions: 14K

Noob
Ah ok so your combo is likely doing 35% then. It's only on the enders mostly when it adds on after. Early on it counts inside the combo.
Ah yeah thats exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks... hmm meterless 35% on corner is not bad but considering i was trading off damage for ticks i can actually go for the 39% i found before, since the ticks are only worth it in the end

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
I think this is a nightmare mu for GM. No hurtbox in tail. I like it!
Edit: Haven't played against any gm yet so can't be sure

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
My corner combos are these atm (done against D'Vorah, to test them vs small hitboxes)

b11u4, u3, b11u4, b11xxacid blood : 29% + ticks and restand

F4/b2xxexbf4, njp, u3, u3, b11xxacid blood : 31% + ticks and restand

F134xxexbf4, njp, u3, b11xxacid blood : 34% + ticks and restand

On the first combo, is probably worth to spend a bar for ex acid blood ender and do a blockstring like f134xxbf4.

B11u4, u3, b11u4, b11exacid blood, f134xxbf4 is something around 43-45%. Hard to say lol

Noob
Im actually quite surprised on how many OH low set ups you can get with acidic... i mean jump in Low EX tail flip from here you can net an easy 37% and its quite hard to block...

Noob
lol this boy can do garanteed 45% meterless in the corner, its ridiculous... This ending with acid puddle as in advantage LOL

EDIT: revised, its not garanteed on all the cast, faster reversals can still break the block link.. following posts explain

Last edited: