What's new

Xbox Series X, PS5 and which current gen system to upgrade:

Nobody in their right mind would get an Xbox over Playstation, PS5 exclusives will blow everything Xbox has out of the water.
People would though, each brand has its following. Remember, the PlayStation 3 and its exclusives were poor for years, and the Xbox 360 was then what the PlayStation 4 is now. But look at the PlayStation brand today and how things flipped around!

Xbox lost touch with its customer base and made the same mistakes Sony did with the PlayStation 3 when they announced, and launched, the Xbox One, and I believe the direction of Don Mattrick was a big reason for that. Phil Spencer is doing great things with the brand again, and with everything they've done over the last few years, all the things they're showing and implementing now, and the potential for Xbox Series X, I believe Microsoft will once again move into a good spot with that console.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not that I'm one of those "my console betta than yours muahahahaha" types since I have owned every console brand and currently enjoy both my one and switch, but from what I've read. Isn't it true that the series x blows the ps5 specs out of the water?

Not that I'm one of those "my console betta than yours muahahahaha" types since I have owned every console brand and currently enjoy both my one and switch, but from what I've read. Isn't it true that the series x blows the ps5 specs out of the water?
Hardware is only half the battle, if the Series X doesn't have enough games on it that people want, they'll flock to the PS5 or Nintendo.

And let's be real here, every game system has only maybe 5 or 10 games that actually push them to their limits, most games aren't gonna take full advantage of the new systems insane powers. They'll benefit from it sure, but most aren't gonna test either systems limits.

MKF30

Hardware is only half the battle, if the Series X doesn't have enough games on it that people want, they'll flock to the PS5 or Nintendo.

And let's be real here, every game system has only maybe 5 or 10 games that actually push them to their limits, most games aren't gonna take full advantage of the new systems insane powers. They'll benefit from it sure, but most aren't gonna test either systems limits.
Of course, I agree. That's just what I've been reading I definitely agree power ain't everything as the first Wii and the switch have proved. I remember when mk 11 and doom eternity hit people were like "oh lol switch isn't running that it's too weak" mk 11 was ported to it, it's a little slower online but then so are the other versions with wifi so...know what I mean? And Doom though it's not out yet I forget why it got delayed for switch but they already put 2016 for it. Alot.of games you don't even have to push the limit.

So I definitely agree and see what you're saying.

Of course, I agree. That's just what I've been reading I definitely agree power ain't everything as the first Wii and the switch have proved. I remember when mk 11 and doom eternity hit people were like "oh lol switch isn't running that it's too weak" mk 11 was ported to it, it's a little slower online but then so are the other versions with wifi so...know what I mean? And Doom though it's not out yet I forget why it got delayed for switch but they already put 2016 for it. Alot.of games you don't even have to push the limit.

So I definitely agree and see what you're saying.
That being said, I do wish Nintendo would make their systems have tech that is current gen. I don't care if they have the weakest systems from here on out till the end of time, just make them powerful enough that ports to Nintendosystem don't have to be watered down so much.

MKF30

That being said, I do wish Nintendo would make their systems have tech that is current gen. I don't care if they have the weakest systems from here on out till the end of time, just make them powerful enough that ports to Nintendosystem don't have to be watered down so much.
Most games run well on the switch tbh so I can't complain but no console is perfect. Know what I mean?

Most games run well on the switch tbh so I can't complain but no console is perfect. Know what I mean?
Yeah but Nintendo seems to put the bare minimum into their systems capabilities post GameCube. I get they focus on gimmicks now but a little more power wouldn't hurt.

MKF30

Yeah but Nintendo seems to put the bare minimum into their systems capabilities post GameCube. I get they focus on gimmicks now but a little more power wouldn't hurt.
I wouldn't say gimmicks, they're just more interactive and creative than their rivals. Sony has pretty much copied them since the 90s, xbox is on good terms with them. Like you said though, graphics aren't everything they have a ton of great games to pick from.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
People would though, each brand has its following. Remember, the PlayStation 3 and its exclusives were poor for years, and the Xbox 360 was then what the PlayStation 4 is now. But look at the PlayStation brand today and how things flipped around!

Xbox lost touch with its customer base and made the same mistakes Sony did with the PlayStation 3 when they announced, and launched, the Xbox One, and I believe the direction of Don Mattrick was a big reason for that. Phil Spencer is doing great things with the brand again, and with everything they've done over the last few years, all the things they're showing and implementing now, and the potential for Xbox Series X, I believe Microsoft will once again move into a good spot with that console.
I mean I have owned every Playstation and the exclusives were always incredible compared to other platforms. I owned a lot of nintendo consoles as well and I see why people would get a Switch since there are some great exclusives.
Last Xbox
Not really, those numbers are not an actual represantation of what can be achieved with the systems. But even if it were true, exclusives sell consoles, not specs.

MKF30

I mean I have owned every Playstation and the exclusives were always incredible compared to other platforms. I owned a lot of nintendo consoles as well and I see why people would get a Switch since there are some great exclusives.
Last Xbox

Not really, those numbers are not an actual represantation of what can be achieved with the systems. But even if it were true, exclusives sell consoles, not specs.
Idk from what everyone keeps telling me the xbox is technically more powerful than the ps5 but I'm sure they'll be around the same not that graphics are everything to me. They're nice and all but I'm sure well learn more I'm more concerned with games, features etc

portent

Noob
The truth is, if you aren't strapped for money and you're interested in only having ONE console, then @Juxtapose is right about having a top tier gaming PC, and I would add to that, a Nintendo Switch.

Here's my thinking:

Current estimated cost of both new consoles: $400 (low end) - $600 (high end) - Max to buy both between $800 - $1200.
Tack on the cost of a new Switch (roughtly $250), so now you're at $1450

Now lets look at a gaming pc, roughly in the same ballpark price:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/608933/powerspec-g706-gaming-desktop-computer $1299

or its stronger brother

https://www.microcenter.com/product/615142/powerspec-g434-gaming-desktop-pc $1399 ($100 more for double the ram)

These pc's will play all current gen games at beyond recommended settings, and should play all 1-2nd wave games for next gen at max settings for a very long time, possible even into the mid-life of next gen before any consideration of an upgrade.

Now, if you buy the most expensive PC, the cost is $200 more than the high end cost of buying the top level PS5 and XSX. $1400
Tack on a new Switch, if you don't already have one, $250, for a total of $1650

First, the cons:
@Juxtapose while you are ok with most/all of these, you have to be fair and consider them as cons, not deal breakers, but cons.

1. You will likely have to upgrade 4-6 years in to "keep up with the Joneses" if you want your system to run optimally for the best games.
  2. Games need to be optimized, as opposed to the "set it and forget it" ease of use of a console. Not difficult and there are programs that do this for you, but still an extra step.
  3. Drivers can break games occasionally, and files can become corrupt and force you to have to validate file integrity, or uninstall/reinstall. This is likely the biggest issue I've run into. Again, not a deal breaker, but time consuming and needs to be listed in the cons.
  4. Some games are released in poor form on PC over their console ports. MK9, Injustice, MKX all suffered from this. They've all been fixed, but they all had issues on release, and the original Injustice on PC is considered the worst port next to the Vita version. MK11 still has occasional issues, and Injustice 2 was the best PC port of all the version.
The Pros:
@Juxtapose if I miss any, please feel free to add

1. Most, if not all AAA games come to PC. The exception being Sony and Nintendo exclusives. If you don't own an Xbox, you can subscribe to Gamepass Ultimate and nearly 90% of their AAA exclusives are available on PC via Gamepass Ultimate the day of release.

2. The rest of the AAA titles are available on Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

3. The cost of the games is generally lower, usually by about $10. If you use places like g2a and cdkeys, you can get games for EXPONENTIALLY less money. We're talking $30 for a $90/$100 "definitive" edition, and it usually takes less than a month's time for the price to get there. That will allow you time to amass a gigantic backlog of games to play while you wait for the price of a newly released game to drop on one of those services.

4. Consolidation. Simple as that. No clutter. No multiple game systems, cords, controllers for different systems, extra power strips, chargers for controllers, etc. These all cost money, either to buy, or in the cost of your electricity bill. Likewise, all but your Switch games would be located in one consolidated system rather than spread across multiple platforms.

5. Quality of the graphics tends to be much better. With an optimized PC, you're going to consistently push greater framerates, higher resolution and more available options for the aesthetics of your games.

All that said, never forget that I own all the systems, as well as a gaming laptop. LOL

@MKF30 Keep in mind, The Xbox was more powerful than the PlayStation 2, but lost out in terms of hardware sales. The PlayStation 3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, but the Xbox 360 crushed that console hard until the very, very later years of the generation (when Microsoft started getting more arrogant like Sony was at the generation's beginning). The Xbox One X is more powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro, but the PlayStation 4 has clearly dominated over the Xbox One.

So having the most powerful system will only sell consoles to hardware buffs, and very rarely influences the overall long term sales of the market.

Having said that, exclusives influence more than hardware, but even that's not the be-all-end-all either, as so many big games are multiplatform today.

I personally believe that today, image is the biggest system mover (and Microsoft's image was horrible in 2013).

Last Xbox
What exclusives are "better" is entirely subjective though. Look at this list of the 20 best PlayStation exclusives. Marvel's Spider-Man is the only one I would say is a must have, maybe The Last of Us. I'd have a passing interest in God of War, the Uncharted franchise, but nothing there is screaming at me that I must have it.

For me, I really enjoy the Halo franchise though, and Killer Instinct is fantastic. So for me, it's clear which platform is better for my own tastes.

I'm not ripping on you for what you like, simply pointing out what you're saying is not factual but subjective.

What is factual is that the PlayStation 4 has more console exclusives than Xbox One. Many of the exclusives Microsoft has released this generation have also not performed as well, along with the console itself. That's 100% fact, and it looks like Microsoft is doing a 180 for Xbox Series X. As you may know, they've purchased a lot of development studios now, so it'll be interesting to see what they make for their new console.

They started off the Xbox One with a wishy-washy focus that did not centre on gaming, and it hurt them. Phil Spencer seems to be taking the brand back to the core gamer, and focusing the console on game's first. He's been doing that since the Xbox One S, actually, and the Xbox One X was a further step in that direction.

@portent I agree. I'm not a platform elitist, and I believe people should game and enjoy their games on their platform of choice. Having said that, I do believe that the PC is the most versatile and powerful gaming platform available. It is my primary platform, and my Xbox One X is my companion platform to it.

For your list of cons, the only one I disagree with is your first point, as we saw this console generation that you had to upgrade your console for the best performance as well. This con now seems shared between PC and console, save that you have more choice, options, and control over your upgrading on PC.

For your fourth point, this is 100% true, however we've also seen plenty of games developed for multiplatform that were ported poorly to console as well.

Overall though, good list.

For your list of pros, you've nailed pretty much everything. I'd add:

- There a greater variety of input devices, suiting preferences and genres better. From mice and keyboards to gaming versions of those, to Controller support for both Xbox and PlayStation pads as well as third party, a PC offers more input support than a console, natively, with no need for converters.

- Because the PC is one continual platform, "backwards compatibility" is much simpler on it, especially in more recent times. Interestingly, Microsoft seems to be changing this up in the console market with their exceptional backwards compatibility support for Xbox Series X.

MKF30

@MKF30 Keep in mind, The Xbox was more powerful than the PlayStation 2, but lost out in terms of hardware sales. The PlayStation 3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, but the Xbox 360 crushed that console hard until the very, very later years of the generation (when Microsoft started getting more arrogant like Sony was at the generation's beginning). The Xbox One X is more powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro, but the PlayStation 4 has clearly dominated over the Xbox One.

So having the most powerful system will only sell consoles to hardware buffs, and very rarely influences the overall long term sales of the market.

Having said that, exclusives influence more than hardware, but even that's not the be-all-end-all either, as so many big games are multiplatform today.

I personally believe that today, image is the biggest system mover (and Microsoft's image was horrible in 2013).
Yeah I know man, that's why I had said earlier the Wii and Switch have proved that all "big fancy power" means little, when the wii took that generation, and as you said the Xbox and PS2 generation before it, while it was close the PS2 won, though I did enjoy my GC and Xbox a lot. I didn't have the best luck with PS2, I remember gaming online and it being complete shit as I recall. PS2 just had more games than everyone else at the time.

The one thing I hated about the first Xbox was that god awful controller, made for giants and uncomfortable lol so I got the japanese one they came out with after made for most people's hand sizes. The 360 was practically perfect outside of the dpad being meh, and the One is easily their best controller. The Wii crushed both the 360 and PS3 overall, but Xbox was second in that generation. It just goes to show the power thing is overrated, everyone likes pretty graphics but obviously without intuitivity, creativity and games it won't matter much. I think the exclusives for all consoles do help for sure, but unless you're Mario or Halo or MLB The Show, probably won't make a huge difference in the long run.

I do think there is one other element of importance now days, that is crossplay. Nintendo and M$ have a cool relationship as we learned last year for the future, Sony however imo is the most arrogant out of everyone and needs to play with everyone, as they were the last to agree to crossplay. I believe this is a key component to the future of gaming too.

@MKF30 Yeah, of that generation, Sony tried to shoehorn in online with the PlayStation 2 because Xbox LIVE was such a great console innovation.

Most people didn't like the "Duke," but the Controller-S was great for it's day. The Xbox 360's D-Pad was great for everything but fighting games, in my opinion. The Xbox Wireless Controller's D-Pad is a huge improvement, but it's still poor for fighting games in my opinion. That's why I got a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One.

The Wii was also a console targeted at everyone, and it was simple and intuitive enough that people who don't touch games were buying it! That brought about the whole Kinect and PlayStation Move peripherals. Forcing Kinect onto gamers with the Xbox One was actually one of the major flaws Microsoft did back in 2013.

Microsoft is a huge believer in crossplay, as I understand it they're the studio of the major three that's really pushing it. Nintendo has been onboard with it as well. Sony's been stubborn and resisting, though they're sort of playing along. I agree crossplay is going to be huge for next gen, and we'll see how Sony handles it.

I suspect that Sony will once again become very arrogant because of how well they've done this generation. The general feedback I'm seeing on the net is that the Xbox Series X is being look at more favourably than the PlayStation 5 at the moment.

Obviously it's very early in that game and market, so we'll see.

Overall, I just want good games and platforms to play them on!

MKF30

@MKF30 Yeah, of that generation, Sony tried to shoehorn in online with the PlayStation 2 because Xbox LIVE was such a great console innovation.

Most people didn't like the "Duke," but the Controller-S was great for it's day. The Xbox 360's D-Pad was great for everything but fighting games, in my opinion. The Xbox Wireless Controller's D-Pad is a huge improvement, but it's still poor for fighting games in my opinion. That's why I got a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One.

The Wii was also a console targeted at everyone, and it was simple and intuitive enough that people who don't touch games were buying it! That brought about the whole Kinect and PlayStation Move peripherals. Forcing Kinect onto gamers with the Xbox One was actually one of the major flaws Microsoft did back in 2013.

Microsoft is a huge believer in crossplay, as I understand it they're the studio of the major three that's really pushing it. Nintendo has been onboard with it as well. Sony's been stubborn and resisting, though they're sort of playing along. I agree crossplay is going to be huge for next gen, and we'll see how Sony handles it.

I suspect that Sony will once again become very arrogant because of how well they've done this generation. The general feedback I'm seeing on the net is that the Xbox Series X is being look at more favourably than the PlayStation 5 at the moment.

Obviously it's very early in that game and market, so we'll see.

Overall, I just want good games and platforms to play them on!
Yeah, I remember my friend brought over the connector thingy with the ethernet for PS2 hooked it up to mine to try to play Burnout 3 and Deception. And Burnout I remember took literally a half hour to find someone then once I did, it disconnected in the first 5 minutes lol. Deception the match was just a joke, like characters were lagging sooo bad, I don't know how PS2 players endured that shit tbh.

The Wii while was newer for Nintendo with online as well, actually played some games well like Mario Kart wasn't bad and Dr. Mario which I play seriously like MK, was VERY smooth. The only time I got some was when I played someone from Japan and usually it was pretty decent most of the time but sometimes laggy, slowed down. But yeah, that was Xbox's main sell, the online play, the messages, friend system etc I actually prefer the older, simple grid on the Xbox 360 before all the fancier updates. They all have netflix, youtube etc now and all the main apps. Though I feel like Xbox has like a lot more most of which I don't even use lol.

But yeah, I genuinely enjoyed the wii a lot. I love to bowl so the wii sports bowling I was addicted to and made headlines on that game alone, it was used for rehabilitation for older people, nursing home leagues to get older people moving, they had bar wii leagues etc that game alone so much fun. The way the controller worked as both a remote control, motion controller and sideways classic kind of controller was genius. Then later on I remember sony and m$ used the same idea when they saw how well the wii was doing with that concept. Sony had the MOVE(those lightbulb looking things and their own version of wii sports) as did M$ with the Kinect using your body as the motion controls and their own version of wii sports too.

I hear ya, it's cool how far we've come in gaming I'm old lol been gaming since the Atari 2600 with the portable bowling game,then pong and of course NES days with Super Mario, Duckhunt all through now which is crazy. I'm lucky and happy I got to live through the golden age of gaming. Now it's changed so much, with arcades pretty much dead outside of a few exceptions here, there and online dominating the market it's a new ballgame or has been I should say. The VR thing I think was big at first but died seemingly. You know?

Yeah, sadly you're probably right regarding Sony. I heard a rumor that they may charge 600 dollars for the PS5, others I read said 550. IDK. M$ I read 500 as well, I don't know man the prices seem a bit out there. I know the specs are stronger but I feel like sometimes these companies get a bit greedy. I like how with Nintendo the Switch is 300, but the Lite is 100 bucks cheaper which is also a great option if you don't play on the TV, some do, some don't. I just wish they had more colors. I plan on getting a lite in the future.

Yeah, I remember my friend brought over the connector thingy with the ethernet for PS2 hooked it up to mine to try to play Burnout 3 and Deception. And Burnout I remember took literally a half hour to find someone then once I did, it disconnected in the first 5 minutes lol. Deception the match was just a joke, like characters were lagging sooo bad, I don't know how PS2 players endured that shit tbh.

The Wii while was newer for Nintendo with online as well, actually played some games well like Mario Kart wasn't bad and Dr. Mario which I play seriously like MK, was VERY smooth. The only time I got some was when I played someone from Japan and usually it was pretty decent most of the time but sometimes laggy, slowed down. But yeah, that was Xbox's main sell, the online play, the messages, friend system etc I actually prefer the older, simple grid on the Xbox 360 before all the fancier updates. They all have netflix, youtube etc now and all the main apps. Though I feel like Xbox has like a lot more most of which I don't even use lol.

But yeah, I genuinely enjoyed the wii a lot. I love to bowl so the wii sports bowling I was addicted to and made headlines on that game alone, it was used for rehabilitation for older people, nursing home leagues to get older people moving, they had bar wii leagues etc that game alone so much fun. The way the controller worked as both a remote control, motion controller and sideways classic kind of controller was genius. Then later on I remember sony and m$ used the same idea when they saw how well the wii was doing with that concept. Sony had the MOVE(those lightbulb looking things and their own version of wii sports) as did M$ with the Kinect using your body as the motion controls and their own version of wii sports too.

I hear ya, it's cool how far we've come in gaming I'm old lol been gaming since the Atari 2600 with the portable bowling game,then pong and of course NES days with Super Mario, Duckhunt all through now which is crazy. I'm lucky and happy I got to live through the golden age of gaming. Now it's changed so much, with arcades pretty much dead outside of a few exceptions here, there and online dominating the market it's a new ballgame or has been I should say. The VR thing I think was big at first but died seemingly. You know?

Yeah, sadly you're probably right regarding Sony. I heard a rumor that they may charge 600 dollars for the PS5, others I read said 550. IDK. M$ I read 500 as well, I don't know man the prices seem a bit out there. I know the specs are stronger but I feel like sometimes these companies get a bit greedy. I like how with Nintendo the Switch is 300, but the Lite is 100 bucks cheaper which is also a great option if you don't play on the TV, some do, some don't. I just wish they had more colors. I plan on getting a lite in the future.
You mean the "blades" Xbox 360 Dashboard? Yeah, it was pretty good. I also don't use a lot of Apps on my console; I mostly use it to play games!

I'm an older gamer too, my first console was the Sega Master System, and I first played a video game in either '82 or '83. It was a top down cabinet of Pac-Man, and I played it at a hospital.

For pricing, it is expensive, but also cheaper than comparable PC hardware. That's another thing I like about Microsoft though: it looks like the Xbox One X will be supported for a while still, and if you buy a first party game on it, you get the Xbox Series X version at no additional charge. That's some solid future-proofing!

MKF30

You mean the "blades" Xbox 360 Dashboard? Yeah, it was pretty good. I also don't use a lot of Apps on my console; I mostly use it to play games!

I'm an older gamer too, my first console was the Sega Master System, and I first played a video game in either '82 or '83. It was a top down cabinet of Pac-Man, and I played it at a hospital.

For pricing, it is expensive, but also cheaper than comparable PC hardware. That's another thing I like about Microsoft though: it looks like the Xbox One X will be supported for a while still, and if you buy a first party game on it, you get the Xbox Series X version at no additional charge. That's some solid future-proofing!
Yeah, is that what it was called the "blade" set up?

Nice, was also. Was also in the early 80s too. Today's my bday actually speaking of which, lol as sucky as it is.

I remember the SMS. Never had it but played it at my friend's place all the time, he's got about 4 years on me so he had at the a few more consoles than I had. Yeah my first was the Atari then the nes. Ha, pac man I remember playing g pac man as a little kid some where and space invaders as far as my first arcade games.

Oh really? That's cool, that a good way to save money, good idea from Microsoft. Didn't know that.

Yeah, is that what it was called the "blade" set up?

Nice, was also. Was also in the early 80s too. Today's my bday actually speaking of which, lol as sucky as it is.

I remember the SMS. Never had it but played it at my friend's place all the time, he's got about 4 years on me so he had at the a few more consoles than I had. Yeah my first was the Atari then the nes. Ha, pac man I remember playing g pac man as a little kid some where and space invaders as far as my first arcade games.

Oh really? That's cool, that a good way to save money, good idea from Microsoft. Didn't know that.
Yup, the Dashboard's set up was called Blades.

For the Xbox Series X, they're calling it "Smart Delivery." All first party titles will be a part of this program, and third party titles have the option to be, and it'll be up to their publishers.