What's new

Xbox announces cross-gen upgrades. Will Sony follow suit?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Ha... I was just saying this needs to happen. Regarding the rumor of MK11 getting a PS5 and Xbox Series X release.

I want to be able to upgrade my PS4 games to PS5 versions without losing hundreds of hours of progress. But I didn’t expect it to be free! That’s even better.

Sony better be offering the same thing on PS5. And hopefully this will apply to all games, rather than developers being selective about it.

NRS, I hope you’re listening!

Last edited:
Ha... I was just saying this needs to happen. Regarding the rumor of MK11 getting a PS5 and Xbox Series X release.

I want to be able to upgrade my PS4 games to PS5 versions without losing hundreds of hours of progress. But I didn’t expect it to be free! That’s even better.

Sony better be offering the same thing on PS5. And hopefully this will apply to all games, rather than developers being selective about it.

NRS, I hope you’re listening!

Microsoft announced around the time of the Xbox Series X announcement that all Xbox One games (and any Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that play on Xbox One) will work with Xbox Series X. That's fantastic for obvious reasons, and a great change from Microsoft's disconnect with their customer base back during the Xbox One announcement.

They did not, however, say that upgrades would be free. I suspect this will be a game-by-game thing decided by the publisher, as your example specifically references one specific game by that game's official Twitter.

Unless Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment announces otherwise, expect your Xbox One copy of Mortal Kombat 11 to play on Xbox Series X, but if they release a specific upgraded version for that platform (i.e. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition), expect to need to buy it again if you want it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I want classic MK and MK 9 again with Xbox Series X. I don't know if I want another version of MK 11 on Xbox Series X, I'd rather see older MK's revamped, updated and Injustice 3 and beyond on it. I like how they're really for crossgen upgrades idea sounds neat. There's tons of games on my Xbox original and 360 I'd play if I could just use those discs linked to my account of unlocks, on the new system? That would be sweet!

DDustiNN

They did not, however, say that upgrades would be free. I suspect this will be a game-by-game thing decided by the publisher, as your example specifically references one specific game by that game's official Twitter.
It’s worth noting that their tweet is actually in addition to a retweet of Microsoft’s official announcement of this feature. They state that you’ll always have the best version of a game. So it really sounds like it’ll be a universal feature.

It’s worth noting that their tweet is actually in addition to a retweet of Microsoft’s official announcement of this feature. They state that you’ll always have the best version of a game. So it really sounds like it’ll be a universal feature.
Ah, it does indeed. That's extremely awesome and unexpected!

@DDustiNN I've read up more on Smart Delivery, and it looks like we're both right. If you buy a first party game, you'll get free cross-buy between Xbox One and Xbox Series X. This is similar to Xbox Play Anwhere between Xbox One and PC right now.

3rd party developers, like Warner Brothers Interactive, get to choose if they're titles will participate in the program. So if WBIE doesn't want to give an upgraded version of Mortal Kombat 11 for free (assuming they release one), then you will need to buy the game again if you want the enhanced version.

Source is this Polygon article: "Smart Delivery will apply for all first-party games, and third-party developers and publishers can “choose to use [Smart Delivery] for titles that will be [released] on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.”

This applies to all digital purchases. For physical purchases, it's up to the publisher, first part or third party. It's also not clarified yet whether this will apply to PC versions of games as well.

DDustiNN

@DDustiNN I've read up more on Smart Delivery, and it looks like we're both right. If you buy a first party game, you'll get free cross-buy between Xbox One and Xbox Series X. This is similar to Xbox Play Anwhere between Xbox One and PC right now.

3rd party developers, like Warner Brothers Interactive, get to choose if they're titles will participate in the program. So if WBIE doesn't want to give an upgraded version of Mortal Kombat 11 for free (assuming they release one), then you will need to buy the game again if you want the enhanced version.

Source is this Polygon article: "Smart Delivery will apply for all first-party games, and third-party developers and publishers can “choose to use [Smart Delivery] for titles that will be [released] on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.”

This applies to all digital purchases. For physical purchases, it's up to the publisher, first part or third party. It's also not clarified yet whether this will apply to PC versions of games as well.
Good info! Even if they don’t offer a free upgrade, I’d even pay $10 or something to upgrade to the new release, as long as my saves and progress carry over.

Good info! Even if they don’t offer a free upgrade, I’d even pay $10 or something to upgrade to the new release, as long as my saves and progress carry over.
It looks like they will regardless of what option you choose! Microsoft clarified on Twitter that since all Xbox One save data is stored on their servers as opposed to locally, everything carries over.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Microsoft also said that all controllers and stuff that work on the xbox one now will also work with the new xbox series x!

No need to buy a new stick or controller or an converter

Microsoft also said that all controllers and stuff that work on the xbox one now will also work with the new xbox series x!

No need to buy a new stick or controller or an converter
From what I understand, the new Xbox Wireless Controller that will release with the Xbox Series X will also work with the Xbox One.

This might of been said before but that's for first party games. It's up to the publishers for third-party games whether they want you to double dip or not. It's not guaranteed NRS / WB will give the free upgrade or any next-gen update for that matter.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
This might of been said before but that's for first party games. It's up to the publishers for third-party games whether they want you to double dip or not. It's not guaranteed NRS / WB will give the free upgrade or any next-gen update for that matter.
No update needed when it’s backwards compatible or am I missing something?

No update needed when it’s backwards compatible or am I missing something?
You're correct, though there might be two versions of the game on the next gen platform then.

Like how most of the Halo games are backwards compatible from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, but there's also Xbox One remasters of the same games.

trufenix

bye felicia
This same thing was attempted from the og xbox to the 360, and after a year Microsoft stopped providing ports without warning and started releasing more collectors editions and shitty dlc. Look to them to follow suit here just as soon as the money dries up or they get all the one generation first and second party games out.

Sony is (supposedly) doing true backwards compatibility, which is a way more likely feature given how PS Now currently works, but its still going to be streamed from the cloud and slightly shitty.

DDustiNN

This same thing was attempted from the og xbox to the 360, and after a year Microsoft stopped providing ports without warning and started releasing more collectors editions and shitty dlc. Look to them to follow suit here just as soon as the money dries up or they get all the one generation first and second party games out.

Sony is (supposedly) doing true backwards compatibility, which is a way more likely feature given how PS Now currently works, but its still going to be streamed from the cloud and slightly shitty.
Both consoles will be fully backward compatible with current gen games.

The thread is specifically talking about upgraded versions of a game, not backwards compatibility.

In terms of backwards compatibility, the original Xbox was different architecture than the Xbox 360 which made it more difficult to emulate properly. They did add a lot of games to it successfully or with minor emulation hiccups though, and the program worked well.

I also recall they did announce when they were done adding titles, just as they did with the Xbox One.