What's new

Would you sacrifice sound for better online UMK3?

Would you sacrifice sound for zero lag?

• Yes, Anything for better better online game play.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I like cheezy repeating music.

• Maybe, how lagless are we talking here?

• You can use the pink sprite ripper background for all I care!

• Total voters

iammud

Noob
I need your guy's opinion on something. If you could run umk3 with zero lag online, would you sacrifice sound?

Don't know what zero lag is? Try neo-geo on nFBA (p2p.kaillera.ru). I'm able to fight people across the world with it.

MAME has the worst trouble emulating the game's sound. If you take that out, you can emulate the game at way higher speeds, which is required for zero lag netcode. Eventually sound would make it's way back into it when emulation and processor speeds are up to par for it, but until then...

Tim Static

Adminerator
mud said:
Don't know what zero lag is?
yes, its called offline.

I wouldnt want to sacrifice sound because A. the music and sound efx's are funny/awesome and B. zero lag online is a fairy tale.

McNasty

Moist.
would this be having the silent combat code always entered or no sound at all? I don't mind the music ,but silent combat isn't bad. If it were no sound at all no way jose I gotta hear them icicles coming my way or else I'm hellen keller out there.

Tim you don't play online so it doesn't even matter lol.

Of course, sound isn't even needed. At tournaments, you can't even hear the sound really since the room is so loud. I mean, you can hear the sound, but not specific things you NEED to hear like invisible Robot Smoke.

X820

Noob
No way there is going to be anything in the near future that is going to play like offline, but zero lag?

We have that already, P2p.

In general parlance, video game lag refers to delays that are noticeable to a player.

Most of us have played at one point or another on very solid connections, meaning no frameskips, delays, slowdowns, all that good stuff.

That the whole experience isn't 100% offline does not mean it's not generally speaking "lag free".

Back on topic:

To me, sound is crucial in any game so I'd have to see and play it first to even say one way or another.

Start coding! :)

X820 said:
No way there is going to be anything in the near future that is going to play like offline, but zero lag?

We have that already, P2p.
P2P lags like shit too. It's smooth sometimes under the right circumstances depending on the day and who you are playing. Phil and I had some nice, smooth games one time on P2P awhile back. But usually it's just a little better than Kaillera, which is basically like a polished turd.

X820 said:
Most of us have played at one point or another on very solid connections, meaning no frameskips, delays, slowdowns, all that good stuff.
Never have I had a solid connection let alone playable connection on Kaillera, at least not within the past year. A couple of years ago the servers were a lot better for some reason. On XBL though, I've had quite a few solid connections.

ScheissNussen said:
This is your connection though, which you have said is wireless and bad wireless at that.
I don't have anything running when I play Kaillera or P2P, the only thing I am doing "wrong" is not using a wired connection. And it's not bad wireless, just not the best there is. I do want to try Kaillera and P2P with a wired connection, I would just have to sit in my Kitchen to play and that would be annoying. I would like to say that Kaillera has been so bad lately, it's been worse than unplayable (whatever that means). Like, the games we had the other night was the worst lag I've seen in any game I've ever played ever.

X820

Noob
Scheiss really hit the nail whe he said

ScheissNussen said:
You get back what you put in with p2p, and that is why some people like it and why other people hate it.
You have to understand that MAME and it's netcode are very old and have never been updated since around 2003.

That is the reason you can get better games on XBL then you do on Kaillera, due to better netcode and this is what this thread is about, possibly obtaining better netcode wich would be a god send.

In order for P2p to work well it needs optimum conditions to run a game like UMK3 well.

- Clean and dedicated PC
- Dedicated connection
- Somewhat High speed internet

Ofcourse there are going to be times in wich your ISP will have issues for instance, then it's no one's fault, try another day.

Just this week I had a crystal clear connection with AC1984 while he was in Bulgaria, it was ridiculous.
Only to have a jittery one 3 days later..

Basic line is that just because it doesnt work for you doesn't mean its bad or blabla.

Yes Kaillera is ass btw, I agree :)

Hopefully Mud can work something out, from my understanding with savestates etc this could massively improve the game experience.

iammud

Noob
X820 said:
Mud, any news?
Still slowly stripping all the audio crap out of mame to see how big of an improvement it makes on performance. I've done some ghetto tests, and it looks promising. This is assuming the attract mode game play screens are real game play. I may not even go this route since I think the sound driver is now completed, so newer mame drivers shouldn't require all this power for it.

I really just wanted your guy's input through the poll, to see if it was worth trying even. I will get zero lag netcode applied to umk3 EVENTUALLY! It must happen.

PS This isn't a debate about online play, or net code (well maybe a little), or what causes lag; it's just a simple question asking if you'd make a sacrifice for better online play. Zero lag is what it is, some of you may think the name is inappropriate, but it really does have no lag. Delay on the other hand is a different subject; you will always have latency as long as you're online. You may still have lag too, you just won't experience it in your game play.

The easiest way to get a grasp on what this is, try nFBA Neo Geo games. For those of you too lazy to try, imagine ggpo where it didn't speed up and slow down nearly as much (hardly ever), and worked at longer distances.