What's new

Would You Rather Have Your Character All to Yourself?

Would you rather have a very small or very large community playing your character?

• Very Small. I wan't my character to be underused.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Very Large. I want to have the help of a lot of players.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Somewhere in the middle. Not very big. Not very small.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 26 35.6%

• Total voters

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I'll admit that I like to carve my own space in a fighting game. I want to take a character and leave my personal mark on how he (or she) should be played. I dream about learning a "bottom tier" or "garbage tier" character, and mastering them, and being the sole force behind moving that character up the tier list.

Smug and Xian are big inspirations for me. They took characters that weren't used in tournaments as much, or at all (Dudley and Gen) and they completely defined that character for the rest of the FGC. Xian actually won Evo in this fashion, and that's a pretty cool way to make something your own.

And then there are characters that just dominate, and everybody plays them. I'm sure a lot of people had "pocket" Aliens and "pocket" Tanyas right? But in the cases where a lot of people are playing your character, those people help you solve the meta and learn matchups faster than you could've (at least in theory).

So which would you prefer? Do you want to be the sole master of Scarecrow or Swamp Thing, or Ivy? Or is it about the troops with you, sharing your salt and (hopefully) tech?

Last edited:

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
Personally, I don't care how many people use my character, if I can just prove to everyone I face that I am THE one to fear, I'm all good.

I've played both spectrums, I played Bane when he was shit, and I main Balrog in SFV, who is considered like top 3. I want my name at the or near the top of the lists.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I play Sub in MKX and him being a very popular character is great and bad. It obviously brings a lot of players, which is a good thing and a bad thing. You get a lot of people good at finding stuff, and a lot of morons, just a lot of everything.

I don't need him to be underused though, I'll play the character I want regardless of who uses him/her, I don't need to be a hipster to get enjoyment out of my character. I actually like a decent amount because the more people looking for stuff the better. So medium I guess.

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
I really don't care so long as they have respect for other communities and please for the love of god don't downplay.. If she's broke tier or release date Alien tier just embrace your character. Blows my mind why people don't want a good character. If she sucks complete ass then don't look pitiful and try to upplay although I'd prefer to upplay than downplay lol. All I ask is that the canary community just be real honestly

HanSolo

Noob
I think this is just a natural desire by most, people get more respect/recognition playing these lower tier or less represented characters. Winning with Ancestral KJ is 10x more hype than CEO Tanya. I think MKX was a good game for people that value this due to the variation system. Won't be as prevalent in this game, assuming it has decent balance.

The problem is when people purposely pick low tier characters so they have a permanent excuse for why they're not doing well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Depends on the character too

I definitely won't be able to flush out Doctor Fate on my own, so I'm looking forward to people being interested in him, but a more straight forward character like Batman, the community size isn't a huge thing to me.

Last edited:

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
I actually find myself playing characters which aren't used often. Thats probably my taste though. I also enjoy it playing chars which aren't used often.

This probably won't happen in injustice though. I guess grodd will be played a lot

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I mean, I prefer a smaller character community. I like using underused characters.

Buuuuuuut always got that pocket top tier

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Each time I pick a char,let's say, CHAR X, that nobody is using, the day after:

NEW THREAD- REO's BEST TIPS NEW CHAR X BROKEN TECH
NEW THREAD - SONIC FOX WINS MAJOR WITH CHAR X
NEW THREAD - EVERYONE DEFINITIVELY PICKING UP CHAR X AND WINNING

Well fk this shit i quit.

TRVP6GXD

Noob
Each time I pick a char,let's say, CHAR X, that nobody is using, the day after:

NEW THREAD- REO's BEST TIPS NEW CHAR X BROKEN TECH
NEW THREAD - SONIC FOX WINS MAJOR WITH CHAR X
NEW THREAD - EVERYONE DEFINITIVELY PICKING UP CHAR X AND WINNING

Well fk this shit i quit.
That was a thing with reptile? Must have missed that.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I just happen to play characters with small communities by chance not by conscious choice. Zod was op, but outside of Pig, Dave, Viking, and Relaxed State, there were only like 8 or 9 other Zods that I knew of. Erron was made famous by Fox, but there really weren't a lot EB players out there it seemed.

Thingy

Retired account
I give no shits about how big the community is for my favorite characters, because I never "main" any one character. Besides, I do not feel a need to be recognized by people for a character. I am just an online warrior, my glory comes from serving up salt or from quality sets with individuals.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
I need the stupid and unreal feeling of having a character only for myself. So the more popular the char is, the less interest for me.
I´m looking forward Captain Cold and Blue Beetle ...