What's new

Would you be okay with MK12 being a legacy title from MK11?

MK12 being a legacy title?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Undecided, depends on how good MK11 is by the time it's done.

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters

Gamer68

Fujin!
Obviously I want MK11 to be updated as much as possible. Maybe KP2 or even KP3, a next-gen port, more crossplay features, etc, but someday and new MK game will have to happen. When that day comes, would you be okay with MK12 being a legacy title from MK11? Meaning it reuses a lot of animations, movesets and maybe even mechanics.

The upside would be that it would allow NRS more time to develop other things, like new characters (ones we don't have in MK11), more stages, cosmetics, and just more content in general for the base game because they wouldn't have to worry about completely re-doing every single character like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and the rest of the cast we currently have. They would also have a baseline for the mechanics. Of course there would be adjustments to everything, so things will still be a little fresh. Overall, think of it like Injustice 2 and how they didn't have to redo everything in that game but it still had a lot of new stuff.

The downside is that it wouldn't be as fresh as it could be, like jumping from MKX to MK11. Even if it doesn't have variations again, character movesets would still be mostly the same. General mechanics would be mostly the same, with maybe one or two new things added on top -- like maybe Combo Breakers instead of Breakaway, or something like that.

Another thing to consider is balance. It might be easier to balance MK12 if it was a legacy title because they have already worked with a lot of the movesets before, and they would have more knowledge about what works or doesn't work. Getting a completely new title means completely new movesets, which means NRS would have to find the right balance AGAIN which is easier said than done.

I guess the bottom line is that if MK12 was a legacy game it has a higher chance of having more content overall and better balance, but it wouldn't be very fresh and still mostly MK11.

EDIT: Personally I say yes as long as it doesn't have variations and characters feel more complete, and maybe some slight adjustments to the mechanics to make it feel closer to MK9.

Way I see it, they've already got legacy skills involved. The way you hit-confirm, how special inputs work the way you block and anti-air. I dunno I think NRS games all have a very similar style to them that makes it easy for NRS players to pick up the next game coming out be it Injustice or MK.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'd be okay with it if they redesigned Sub-Zero to be more unique and dropped variations. Wonder Woman got a complete redesign in I2 so maybe Sub could get the same.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Nope, work from either mk9 or the last patch of mkx. I want actual defense options not this only get knock down on defense or perfect block bullshit.
It’s impossible to start from MK9 at this point. That’s multiple iterations of the engine ago, and running on completely different hardware.

They are going to go forward, not backwards. So most likely building from Mk11 just like the 11 engine evolved from MKX.

MK9 is almost a decade old now. People need to be realistic and just move on.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
It’s impossible to start from MK9 at this point. That’s multiple iterations of the engine ago, and running on completely different hardware.

They are going to go forward, not backwards. So most likely building from Mk11 just like the 11 engine evolved from MKX.

Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 are almost a decade apart, and T7 is literally just an updated T6 with new characters and mechanics. It’s almost the same game. NRS has done it before with i2 so they can do it with MK12. And since a LOT of people value MK9, I don’t see why not. I mean, it’s the game that started the whole thing.

You’re always giving shit to people who like MK9. Just because you don’t care for it anymore doesn’t mean others don’t. It’s clearly a fan favorite so let the people have their way. It’s none of your business anyways and if it doesn’t happen, then that’s a slap in our faces. Not yours.

Maybe you should be realistic and leave us alone.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 are almost a decade apart, and T7 is literally just an updated T6 with new characters and mechanics. It’s almost the same game. NRS has done it before with i2 so they can do it with MK12. And since a LOT of people value MK9, I don’t see why not. I mean, it’s the game that started the whole thing.

You’re always giving shit to people who like MK9. Just because you don’t care for it anymore doesn’t mean others don’t. It’s clearly a fan favorite so let the people have their way. It’s none of your business anyways and if it doesn’t happen, then that’s a slap in our faces. Not yours.

Maybe you should be realistic and leave us alone.
That's becuase the only mainline entry that anyone took seriously in between was TTT2. Thus 6->7 makes a bit more sense, kind of like Marvel 2 -> 3.

Meanwhile we've had Injustice, Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and now Mortal Kombat 11. This isn't going from 9->10, and they've been changing the game continuously every couple years. So I'm not sure why that would apply.

We aren't going to go from 11 back to 9's engine to 12. It's time to let that go.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending

You do know street fighter 4 basically did that right and they took the system from sf2 and tried to improve far straying from sf3 which also was a completely different engine from it. Also i'm not stating use the engine. I'm stating use the mechanics and the poking system from that game and improve on it.

Mkx didn't do that wrong with armor or backdash either and I really wouldn't mind seeing those mechanics again either.

I don't know. I'm gonna need them to wipe the absolutely fucking slate clean. I'm tired of nrs being this Frankenstein mess of bullshit but fans desperately craving for honesty. Just pick one. Possibly new art style. No more mocap. Bring regular meter back. Stop adding pushback onto moves that are clearly supposed to be punishable. Do something about these hitboxes/hurtboxes; probably no more of that breathing blocking bullshit (which would be the result of no more mocap). Find some way to ditch wb

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Hell no. I have fun playing the game but I would change too much about it, and saying yes would make no sense. Different move sets but similar mechanics. Obviously some mechanics need to change, like supers that cost nothing. Remove variations, add more combo paths and we’re good to go. That’s how I would envision MK12.

If I was a betting man my guess is MK12 will be like MK11 but with character traits like Injustice, or some sort of "V skill" system like SFV or "instinct" buff like Killer Instinct. So yeah, a legacy game.

The "character specialty" systems like those have generally been an easy way to layer uniqueness on existing systems

I voted no - unlike most posters on this site I love MK11 but I don't like legacy games in general.

As someone who struggles to get their friends to play fighting games with them... yeah it's just not noob friendly.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I have a feeling that with this whole long-term MK11 support thing, we wont be seeing MK12 anytime soon. Like, 6+ years from now at a minimum. As such, it'd make 0 sense for MK12 to be MK11+. On top of that, NRS has already set their track record as basically reinventing the game style with each MK release. MK9, MKX, and MK1 all play very differently from each other. The only things I ever count on to be consistent between games in the MK series are crazy gore and a block button.

it depends how they gonna do with this game after kp2 the ultimate edition will come out the game is done for good. i do not know why ed say they gonna support mk11 for very long time i do not see that i do not know what they gonna do maybe give other characters old moves back add something new maybe more klassic outfits and stages even though the female skins gonna be tone down. i rather have them take their time with mk12 not rush it like 11

I have a feeling that with this whole long-term MK11 support thing, we wont be seeing MK12 anytime soon. Like, 6+ years from now at a minimum. As such, it'd make 0 sense for MK12 to be MK11+. On top of that, NRS has already set their track record as basically reinventing the game style with each MK release. MK9, MKX, and MK1 all play very differently from each other. The only things I ever count on to be consistent between games in the MK series are crazy gore and a block button.
it is stupid for waiting 6 long years we can wait 4 years they need to take their time give fans feed back what they wanna see this time remove the variations for good when 12 comes along i do not see them support 11 after ultimate edition comes out next year when kp2 is done what else they gonna do injustice 3 will be announce next year everyone gonna go back to injustice 2