What's new

Would a new "banned kharacters" mode be a good idea for online?

Would a new "banned kharacters" mode be a good idea for online?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So was wondering if this mode would be used by people or not, not saying it would work out or anything but from my own experience with not just the MK 11 beta but from past MK's in general. I'll pick someone and my opponent immediately leaves or rage quits lol. Yes, because some people refuse to play against certain characters they will leave. Now what if for online they made a new kustomization "banned characters" mode with rooms and/or searches where only characters preset/allowed to be played can be picked.

Thankfully most people don't seem to be nuts about the whole "oh you're using him, I'm out of here" lol but I did encounter it a lot whenever I picked Kabal especially and people immediately left lol.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I guess some people just really hate facing certain characters or the same character over and over.

Reactions: Zev

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
R6S does this in competitions, but that game focuses on abilities that are locked to only one character so banning a character can change an entire team's gameplan since it's team-based, so I see how it's needed for that game (though not sure it's super effective), but I don't see how it would really work well in MK or any FG for that matter.

Even then, we'll start seeing the same 'broken' characters that will always get banned anyways. And then a new tier of 'broken' characters will be elected because people will be forced to get good with their secondaries and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
better idea , is, if you have , let's say , 10 quits or more into one week (or inside one month), next time you log into your game online, the game will create a special lobby where MK11 (instantly and mandatory) matches you without warning and you can just play only others "quit rage" players, and only using 2 or 3 bottom tier characters to be picked on select screen .... this punishment ought should last , at least, one week straight, for educational purposes, rsrsrs :p :D

Archer

PSN: IMrArcherI
I think that could be pretty helpful for competitive players if you could filter out as many characters as you want. If you wanted to grind a certain matchup you could search for only people using X character, which would be especially great for learning less common MU's.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I think that could be pretty helpful for competitive players if you could filter out as many characters as you want. If you wanted to grind a certain matchup you could search for only people using X character, which would be especially great for learning less common MU's.
great idea !! pretty good, I wanna this on MK11, NRS !! :)

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Hell nah lol. I’m not going to invest that time into shao Kahn if they just ban him online. I want to run through some people, I hope he’s a monster but why wouldn’t he be?

Zaccel

Noob
I sort of like the idea on paper (especially for grinding a specific matchup in the wild), but can't say it's realistic.

Strategy/MOBA games are more volatile, for a variety of factors. Most notably, teams; having so many different characters, with so many combinations, with so many positions/matchups/items/etc. makes balancing a harrowing prospect. I believe bans are a way of sanding off the rough edges and providing strategic depth simultaneously.

Fighting games don't really have that all going on. While equally rich in strategy, their environment is miles more straightforward and controllable. A "ban" option, though not suggested as a competitive thing here, would probably lead to questions of "why not Nerf XYZ instead?"

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Why would I want to ban the chars when I want the MU XP? lol

Thingy

Retired account
@MKF30 No offense man...but that is an awful idea. If you need to grind a certain matchup, there are plenty of online resources to find a training partner. If people quit out because of the character their opponent picks, they are bums. Move on.

No safe places for scum. And if you want matchup experience, use the net or play with friends you that use those characters.

Hell nah lol. I’m not going to invest that time into shao Kahn if they just ban him online. I want to run through some people, I hope he’s a monster but why wouldn’t he be?
I really hope he is a monster in this game but historically speaking the big boss characters have never been top tier (excluding Motaro in MK trilogy). The problem is they are usually too slow.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
I really hope he is a monster in this game but historically speaking the big boss characters have never been top tier (excluding Motaro in MK trilogy). The problem is they are usually too slow.
He will be slow but powerful and he will guard well

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Yeah that’s true but he’s never been fleshed out as a real playable character in the modern era, he’s corrupted shinnok status lol. He should be slow I agree with charging specials.

We know about his brute strength but he’s also a god tier sorcerer. I hope they mix his brute strength with powerful magic to make up for his slowness and range. That’s never been explored much as a move set. He hands out blood magic and soul stealing powers like it’s candy, let’s see the master.