What's new

Question - Dragons Fire Worth to learn Liu Kang?

Hey folks,

Since this is one of the biggest forums for MKX I hoped to find some experienced people here to help me out with my desperate question. I bought MKX 1 week ago and am playing like a mad man. Searching and learning everything this game involves from BnB combos to frame data.
Since I am a former USF4 player I indeed know one or another thing about fighting games. Finding a main character is for me the worst part. But luckily since Fei Long was my favorite character in USF4 I could identify myself with Liu Kang ; that was my decision.
Now im in a bit of trouble, I heard that he probably will be nerfed because of his true block strings. For me personally he is very hard to learn since the FBRC need to be on spot (frame wise) to fully unlock its potential. My question is, is he worth to learn or is it rather a waste of time since his cancel might get nerfed respectively has a high probability?

Thanks in advance for the help, Ghostface.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
He's one of the best characters in the game in 2/3 variations, so I'd say yes.

It's worth it to use every character to be honest. This game is pretty balanced, though some charactes have some not-so-great and/or extremely situational variations.

llabslb

R1D1_998
One thing you should know about this forum, there's assholes.

Liu Kang is one of the best in the game and has brilliant pressure. Considering you're a Fei Long player, execution wise Kang will suit you (imo). Things you have to get down with Liu Kang are his cancels and F213 FBRC pressure. If you've got a general understanding of fighting games you should already know the importance of frame data and match ups. Other than that you're sorted.

Thanks for all the replies. Are there any characters that have the same style as Liu Kang except Kung Lao?

Edit: I am fully aware of frame data and stuff and match-ups etc. my concern is that Liu Kang will get nerfed to the ground and me after "mastering" him lose all my motivation because my favorite character and best one gets destroyed. I like the way his cancels work its fun to learn difficult stuff and use it in matches.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Thanks for all the replies. Are there any characters that have the same style as Liu Kang except Kung Lao?
Closest you're really going to get is A list Johnny Cage because of his pressure and cancels. If you want a Kung fu type character go for Kung Jin or Takeda.

Thanks for the tip. But maybe I should just stick to Liu Kang and see what NRS will do to him. I saw some posts from Xarakamaka about fair nerfs to him but I am not sure tho :S

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Liu's a strong character, just learn your frame traps, blockstrings and combos then you should be good to go! :)

There should be plenty of info in the Liu forums on his DF cancels.

If you're a fei player id actually recommend grand master sub. His move set isn't particularlysimilar but he's the closest MK has to that kind of slow deliberate and reactionary character.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Play Kang. He is the Ryu of MK and he has the attitude of fei long.

He is very good and won't be hurt much. His natural toolset already makes him good.

You will have the most fun playing the character you click with first and that is Kang it seems

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Why has Liu been considered just a mid tier bum until the past month or two? Even with his block infinite gone now he's apparently being called top 5 by everyone. Same with A-List Cage. What gives?

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
Liu kang won't be touched in the nerf. He to execution heavy. And I don't think he's S+ he's A+. Go ahead and learn him. If you can consistently land F44 FBRC into F44 (Must combo ) then you are ready. I use Liu Kang, the funnest character I use but not better than my other characters.

Why has Liu been considered just a mid tier bum until the past month or two? Even with his block infinite gone now he's apparently being called top 5 by everyone. Same with A-List Cage. What gives?
Regarding LK it seems like that more people with Kang showed up and made some remarkable results. For me Xarakamaka and Zyphox are really really good with LK. As far as I know Xarakamaka did win some tounrney and is in the ESL Season 2 finals.

Liu kang won't be touched in the nerf. He to execution heavy. And I don't think he's S+ he's A+. Go ahead and learn him. If you can consistently land F44 FBRC into F44 (Must combo ) then you are ready. I use Liu Kang, the funnest character I use but not better than my other characters.
Thank you. Well I guess I have to see what the future brings. This thread solely had the purpose to hear others opinions and be a little more at ease so that I dont practice with regrets.

@all thank you very much for your replies and opinions

Thank you. Well I guess I have to see what the future brings. This thread solely had the purpose to hear others opinions and be a little more at ease so that I dont practice with regrets.

@all thank you very much for your replies and opinions
No problem, just don't use him. Use a real character. Good luck.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
I too had a character crisis after about 5 months of playing. I've played Jax, Sub, Tremor, Johnny, Raiden, etc. I've found Kang to be the most fun due to his execution barrier on cancels and iafbs. His spacing, anti airing, zoning, and pressure make him very solid, obviously, but to truly master him the conversions must be on point (S/O Lord Xarakamaka).

Best of luck, Ghostface

(This is me saying he's worth it, if I didn't make it clear)

I too had a character crisis after about 5 months of playing. I've played Jax, Sub, Tremor, Johnny, Raiden, etc. I've found Kang to be the most fun due to his execution barrier on cancels and iafbs. His spacing, anti airing, zoning, and pressure make him very solid, obviously, but to truly master him the conversions must be on point (S/O Lord Xarakamaka).

Best of luck, Ghostface

(This is me saying he's worth it, if I didn't make it clear)

Thank you very much!

omooba

fear the moobs
don't do it he's not as broke as everyone says i mean he's disgusting bt i would recommend tanya, you can't go wrong there or lao my god lao but with liu you might get irritated but some stuff

9_Lives

Noob
Lot of people say hardest part of playing LK is the fbrc's, but I think it's the iafb's. I can do all of them except f44~fbrc~f44 about 95% efficiency, but I can't get three fireballs on the left side corner bnb to save my life. Even tried leading with the u4 like that one African player did, but my thumb just doesn't traverse the dpad fast enough yet. Super frustrating. But he's awesome on everything except defense, but really that's the hardest part of the game for everybody with all these offense maniacs like LK, KL, JC and Tanya running around.