What's new

Match-up Discussion Wonder Woman Match-Up Discussion

Glass Sword

Nobody
Some notes against Lex.
This is a momentum based match up. If Lex can get the life lead and some space to breath the match up can go down hill pretty fast. The best bet is if he gets some stuff out is to stay grounded and be patient. I need some advice on how to deal with the mine. if he puts you in a mine set up your going to have block it. If you rush to recklessly at Lex you eat a lot of damage.
When you do get in stay in. If you end your combos in lasso grab your doing it wrong. One should end their strings in sweep as Foxy said in the general discussion and start oki. His charge is good but armor eats it and a well spaced b2 stops it as well. Also when you block a charge do as much damage as possible; punish with 11 spin.
Keep in mind Lex can punish a lot with the charge including the tiara and the air charge.
These are just some starting notes.
Also if they ever do a 112 without an orb, parry it in lasso stance and get a lot of damage.

I'm curious as to some of your thoughts on how to approach Killer Frost and Catwoman matchups. I'm always caught off guard by KF's slide and CW's berserker slash. Both seem to be safe on block... Though I only really had experience trying to punish it online.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
I'm curious as to some of your thoughts on how to approach Killer Frost and Catwoman matchups. I'm always caught off guard by KF's slide and CW's berserker slash. Both seem to be safe on block... Though I only really had experience trying to punish it online.
KF's slide is 100% safe on block, and in Wonder Woman's case, the risk vs. reward on trying to press buttons after is about the same as KF will get, so be cautious and pay attention to the KF's habits. If you want to retaliate, use 33, but be warned she can d+1 xx slide this on prediction.

In terms of footsies/ways in, Wonder Woman smokes KF, but you gotta respect the slide if you're outside b+2 range, one raw tag and you're eating about 40% on the easiest MB combo into a standing reset high/low, both of which are safe on block and lead into another 40% + vortex again if they hit. IMO the best way to play this match is to rush her down and show no respect ... while she's on her feet, anyway. Don't try to touch her on wake-up, unless you're doing something that beats slide like jump back or MB b+3. Approaching via the air is solid, Frost's d+2 isn't touching J3.

Droogy

Lets Fight Like Gentlemen
nightwing I feel is a good match-up for wonder woman in his stick stance, but as soon as he changes to poll stance it gets difficult

my main tip is DO NOT LET HIM GET YOU IN THE CORNER. as soon as that happens he can poke you hard and from what I can tell your a online player mostly (from your other posts) so its much more difficult to react to his high-lows given the input delay.

Also while most people hate it, I use the air tiara to zone him a bit when the match calls for it. That said catching his air-projectile with your flying punch (dunno the move name atm) is one of the best ways to start your rushdown against him since he loves that air projectile especially to open games.

fong03

Noob
I'm a newbie and I'm having a ton of problems.

I'm finding the Green Lantern match-up impossible. Trying to get in is tough because you have to stay on the ground. I know that you can shield parry the second hit of his combo that starts with a low, but online I just can't time it. And when I'm knocked down, the low seems to hit me before I can even start blocking. I've found it tough to keep the pressure on him because of his wake ups. Raven and Deathstroke are just a pain to get in on as well.

Shazam gives me trouble. Most Shazam players tend to keep distance and either teleport around or use the Raiden flying move. I don't know how to punish either.

I've found Doomsday to be a nightmare, but that is just because I don't know handle his sweep/crossup pressure. As others mentioned, Nightwing with his staff is just brutal. And lastly, I think Batman is hard with his rushdown and his jump-ins. I feel like I can't anti-air him at all.

Droogy

I'm a newbie and I'm having a ton of problems.

I'm finding the Green Lantern match-up impossible. Trying to get in is tough because you have to stay on the ground. I know that you can shield parry the second hit of his combo that starts with a low, but online I just can't time it. And when I'm knocked down, the low seems to hit me before I can even start blocking. I've found it tough to keep the pressure on him because of his wake ups. Raven and Deathstroke are just a pain to get in on as well.

Shazam gives me trouble. Most Shazam players tend to keep distance and either teleport around or use the Raiden flying move. I don't know how to punish either.

I've found Doomsday to be a nightmare, but that is just because I don't know handle his sweep/crossup pressure. As others mentioned, Nightwing with his staff is just brutal. And lastly, I think Batman is hard with his rushdown and his jump-ins. I feel like I can't anti-air him at all.
ok on GL...its just a bad matchup. I normally zone a bit with the air tiara (I'm one of the few that likes it) and more or less wait for him to whiff something to punish but honestly WW just loses that matchup

Deathstroke I don't have issues with if he spams, but Deathstroke has REALLY high priority wake-ups and DESTROYS ME when hes not just spamming guns, when he spams, I know the timing down so I can get in on him. So with him, it just comes to you over time I think.

Doomsday I also see as a bad matchup but not as bad as GL so its do-able and you don't have to change playstyle all that much imo.

Captain Marvel......I dunno what to tell you I have issues with the matchup myself when my opponent is good.

These reasons are why I'm trying to pick-up Hawkgirl and Catwoman in order to have some more options given how matchup based this game is getting

Winterfell

Zatanna for DLC!
Hey guys. How does one deal with Cyborg as WW? I feel dash ducking is probably the best option. I know ground nova is -20 and his uppercut on wake up is like -14. which is good enough with b113. I wonder how she deals with the whole tk nova shot stuff.

fong03

Noob
ok on GL...its just a bad matchup. I normally zone a bit with the air tiara (I'm one of the few that likes it) and more or less wait for him to whiff something to punish but honestly WW just loses that matchup

Deathstroke I don't have issues with if he spams, but Deathstroke has REALLY high priority wake-ups and DESTROYS ME when hes not just spamming guns, when he spams, I know the timing down so I can get in on him. So with him, it just comes to you over time I think.

Doomsday I also see as a bad matchup but not as bad as GL so its do-able and you don't have to change playstyle all that much imo.

Captain Marvel......I dunno what to tell you I have issues with the matchup myself when my opponent is good.

These reasons are why I'm trying to pick-up Hawkgirl and Catwoman in order to have some more options given how matchup based this game is getting

Thank you for responding. I'm glad some of this just isn't in my head. I'm not really good at fighting games. I just bought this one because I love Wonder Woman. That being said, I am having fun. Do you think Hawkgirl or Catwoman cover Diana's bad match-ups well? I was thinking about starting to learn another character for that very reason.

Winterfell

Zatanna for DLC!
well I figure parry was already another option. basically parry for the free ride in (well not free in) for an easier time? That's something I got incorporate. Thanks!

Nerubian

Noob
emmm.. i honestly think Raven is a good alt for WW mains. :/

what do you guys think? she's not easy to pick up though.
As a Raven main, WW is my alt. So far it's been good. Deals with some bad Raven matchups that she has. I feel that there are a few certain ones that I'd want a third, but as of right now - I've liked it.

You're not the first person I've seen that seem to gravitate to Raven/WW pairings. Plus, WW's B2 allows for good footsie play - which is Raven's speciality. Leads to similar playstyle minds. Plus, personally I find WW a bad matchup for Raven - so it's good for Raven players to learn Wonder Woman.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
As a Raven main, WW is my alt. So far it's been good. Deals with some bad Raven matchups that she has. I feel that there are a few certain ones that I'd want a third, but as of right now - I've liked it.

You're not the first person I've seen that seem to gravitate to Raven/WW pairings. Plus, WW's B2 allows for good footsie play - which is Raven's speciality. Leads to similar playstyle minds. Plus, personally I find WW a bad matchup for Raven - so it's good for Raven players to learn Wonder Woman.
I find Raven to be hard to beat playing as WW, mainly since WW has NO zoning whatsoever, and to get close i have to air dash or air punch my way across the screen, or keep dashing blocking, and eventually she will snag me with an instant full screen grab thing. Its hard to get in on her.

Droogy

I've also been playing around with Raven

Hawkgirl was my first choice because of her lack of play and the fact that I LOVE her regime skin

I also needed a anti-grundy but I will look into Raven as a character to get around to

and fong03: Catwoman...not really, shes just another flavor of rushdown...but shes REALLY fun to play. Hawgirl yes

Nerubian

Noob
I find Raven to be hard to beat playing as WW, mainly since WW has NO zoning whatsoever, and to get close i have to air dash or air punch my way across the screen, or keep dashing blocking, and eventually she will snag me with an instant full screen grab thing. Its hard to get in on her.
Play more patient with Sword stance to get in. Lasso is good once you're in against Raven, but once you're in - you're in against Raven. She doesn't have much that can compete on wakeup against b2 or 33. WW's air dash at max height/range goes over Soul Crush (and if you time j3 right to trades with Singularity). It requires a really good read for a Raven to hit singularity as if they try to Soul Crush you at that range you win. It's a game of patience against Raven, if you can control the start of the round Raven won't have a lot to get you off of her. If you let her control the start of the round you have to play extremely patient - I like sword stance for this as it makes her take no chip from either DS grab/Soul Crush and you easily duck under Soul Raven. Plus, her forward dash is extremely fast is this stance if they wiff a soul crush. Her D2 in Sword stance beats cleanly any air teleport (as online lasso d2 is a little bit slow on reaction). Just slow it down and play patient against Raven - she thrives on people getting desperate. Besides Raven backed into a corner is extremely annoying to try to get out of - WW has a lot of control over not letting people getting off corners. Plus, Air Demigoddess (the air flying punch?) At max range is out of soul crush's range (and DS Singularity as well). The top end of the corner Raven only has full screen negative masses. If you can read any of those moves and punish with an air demigoddess at full range - I believe you'll recover before Raven does - or at least trade. Any trade with the grabs is in your advantage as Raven only does 1-2% at the start of the move and 6-8 at the end of the move.

I find that if I'm playing against a good WW that takes control of the match and plays patient - it's extremely hard to get the space required to do anything. You can also win by gaining a life lead in sword stance and having raven do no chip to you. Grabs do shit chip, soul raven hits high and negative mass only does 2% of chip on normal.

Droogy Raven is not an anti-grundy char. She's fucking awful in that matchup. Armor blows up Raven's single hit moves. Ex Swamp Hands (the low ground stomp move) is faster than any of Raven's projectiles and trades better for Grundy. It's brutal. I play WW in that matchup.

Droogy

Droogy Raven is not an anti-grundy char. She's fucking awful in that matchup. Armor blows up Raven's single hit moves. Ex Swamp Hands (the low ground stomp move) is faster than any of Raven's projectiles and trades better for Grundy. It's brutal. I play WW in that matchup.
thanks, I have Hawkgirl for that matchup though my buddy plays Grundy and I know that matchup well. WW is not a BAD matchup for grundy, but I think its about 50/50 rather than being a great matchup like HG is for grundy

that said its good to know that armor messes up Raven lol.

fong03

Noob
Any tips for Batman? I just can't handle his pressure at all. Once he starts jumping in on me, I feel like there is nothing I can do. His trait seems to always be up as well, so it's hard to get in on him at times. Would S&S stance be better?

Droogy

Any tips for Batman? I just can't handle his pressure at all. Once he starts jumping in on me, I feel like there is nothing I can do. His trait seems to always be up as well, so it's hard to get in on him at times. Would S&S stance be better?
don't fall into his traps is the main thing

his jumping 2 is the one time I really need to switch to SS stance for some of the anti-airs

Anyone have advice on the Batman matchup? I get blown up by all of them and I have no idea what to do to counter his ridiculously good jump ins.

Winterfell

Zatanna for DLC!
Yea Backdashing batman is really good. Alot of them like doing J2 anyways so it's really easy to backdash the jump and possibly punish him on his Landing frames.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Anyone have advice on the Batman matchup? I get blown up by all of them and I have no idea what to do to counter his ridiculously good jump ins.
like they said, backdash, and does forward dashing work too?

I LOVE playing against batman. You can play mind games. Good Batmans will try to get your with their grapple when you are jumping and flying around, whether it be air grapple or land grapple. So Just mix it up, jump, but dont dash, and they will try to air grapple you, so then you have a full combo opportunity for 3 seconds. Or they will try to land grapple you, and just air dash, ji2, full combo. This normally works at least once or twice against good Batmans, for the first match. And sometimes they will throw batarangs low and in the air, and its the same thing, make them miss by mixing it up and fullcombo the stupid mortal.

Alsol, just block low, until you see Batmans overhead b23 or whatever it is

any help on the batman matchup :(

his trait is too good. and that air spark move can be done low to the ground AND beats jump ins. really frustrating fight.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
any help on the batman matchup :(

his trait is too good. and that air spark move can be done low to the ground AND beats jump ins. really frustrating fight.
His trait makes him much harder if the batman player is good and uses it effectively. Still, I just jump in the air, and bait him to shoot his trait bats towards me, and then i dash forward and the bats miss. That will help a bit.