What's new

Match-up Discussion With or Without the Reset: Can We Please Stop?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
When discussing Smoke's matchups a lot of the time people will post a number with and without the reset. Every time I see this I laugh because Smoke has the reset and it is not going anywhere. I don't see Cyrax players qualifying their MU numbers this way so I see no point in doing it for Smoke's.

What is really the point of doing this if the character w/o the reset does not exist?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
When discussing Smoke's matchups a lot of the time people will post a number with and without the reset. Every time I see this I laugh because Smoke has the reset and it is not going anywhere. I don't see Cyrax players qualifying their MU numbers this way so I see no point in doing it for Smoke's.

What is really the point of doing this if the character w/o the reset does not exist?
Kenshi Jade without spirit moves 5-5 !

Yeah, people shouldn't be allowed to speculate how a character would be if he weren't broken.

Maybe some people still have hope that the gigantic problems in this game might some day be fixed.

I am biased though. I've said ever since day 1 that smoke is bullshit.

RiBBz22

Yeah, people shouldn't be allowed to speculate how a character would be if he weren't broken.

Maybe some people still have hope that the gigantic problems in this game might some day be fixed.

I am biased though. I've said ever since day 1 that smoke is bullshit.
I actually totally agree with your sarcasm, we should not be speculating (I mean match up discussion specifically) on things that don't exist in or aren't removed from the game.

I am not saying we shouldn't have discussions speculating buffs/nerfs and how they would affect characters. I am solely talking about matchup discussion in the current build of the game.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

think reason for that was, we were told the resets were going so people were getting ready for that.
theres some posts from me in a mu thread saying when smoke losses his resets he wont have a adv of baraka anymore but they stayed so everyone accepts it now,even me lol

also i dont want to come off as being a smart ass but ya do hear alot of "oh this reset is so hard to land everytime" so i think talk of resets/vs no resets talk pop out of that aswell really.
i think cyrax players know they have a yellow death machine and you guys gotta know you got a grey death machine lol

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I thought you'd say "Smoke's MU's have the same nr.'s no matter the reset", but yeah, you're right, the reset isn't going anywhere.

In the current build of the game in a matchup discussion it's not even off topic to say something like "the matchup would be closer if smoke weren't broken."

You can't expect any discussion about a smoke matchup to not include the one thing that potentially has the biggest impact on the matchup.

The fact that it's broken is a different discussion, sure.

I nthe current build of the game exclusively, something like that doesn't make a whoel lot of difference. But if it were ever a chance that this game could see a balance change, speculated matchups could serve to at least stop a character from being nerfed directly to Sheeva tier because of one change. So, unless everyone jsut decided to accept broken mechanics, they actually could be useful.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
What make me laugh is even without the reset you're losing anywhere from 40 - 50%. I guess that isn't that much though.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
In the current build of the game in a matchup discussion it's not even off topic to say something like "the matchup would be closer if smoke weren't broken."

You can't expect any discussion about a smoke matchup to not include the one thing that potentially has the biggest impact on the matchup.

Sure you can, why would anyone in a matchup discussion say "if he didn't have"? "If Sonya didn't have armor", "if Kenshi didn't have charge", "if Cyrax didn't have resets", whatever, they do. To discuss if they didn't is just weird because why would you arbitrarily take away a characters best tool when discussing matchups? If this were fantasy matchups that'd be different but we're talking about the game as is.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User

All normals and specials be removed along with the reset and we can speculate match-ups based on two constants to ensure 100% accurate match up numbers (Round timer and universal stance change) I predict 7-3 at worst for Smoke all the way around.

Matix218

Get over here!
What...nobody mentioned the Vita version?
I think it is so weird that smokes reset was removed from the vita version. It kinda makes me think that whatever programming glitch on the console versions that causes the reset to work just did not translate into the vita port somehow (meaning NRS didn't intentionally take it out of the vita version, I think it may have just happened that way). Maybe I'm wrong but why would they just change that 1 thing. Plus there are other damage scaling glitches on the vita version that I am sure were also not intentional as well so it kinda fits with my theory about the smoke reset.

RiBBz22

I think it is so weird that smokes reset was removed from the vita version. It kinda makes me think that whatever programming glitch on the console versions that causes the reset to work just did not translate into the vita port somehow (meaning NRS didn't intentionally take it out of the vita version, I think it may have just happened that way). Maybe I'm wrong but why would they just change that 1 thing. Plus there are other damage scaling glitches on the vita version that I am sure were also not intentional as well so it kinda fits with my theory about the smoke reset.
I thought they removed it by making it so you couldn't cancel F4 into specials. I don't have a Vita so I have no clue to be honest.

Matix218

Get over here!
I thought they removed it by making it so you couldn't cancel F4 into specials. I don't have a Vita so I have no clue to be honest.
No you can still cancel F4 into specials, you even still get the 10% unscaled damage from exsb, it will just never reset your opponent. I think it was just a coding error on the console versions that causes them to reset that didn't translate onto the vita coding.