What's new

General/Other - Flame Fists Windmill-punches whiffing/meter building issues on low-block

Orangutan

WutanOrangutan
Hey folks, apologies if someone has already made a post similar to this, cba trawling through all the liu forums.

I'm sure anyone who plays flame-fist has picked up on the fact that Liu's windmill punches whiff on several low blocked characters (usually around three of the 8 hits on a normal WP special whiff on certain characters).
This simply equates to slightly less chip damage and meter building against these low-blocked characters, you'd think.. It turns out he actually doesn't build any meter whatsoever from the hits that do connect on block

In the video I start with Raiden high blocked just to demonstrate the meter Liu regularly builds when all hits connect. Then I switch to a low blocked Raiden; take a look at Liu's bar when this happens.

I tested this on all the cast and found that it happens with:
Ermac
Kotal
Johnny
Triborg
Reptile
Raiden
Tremor
Jax
Quan Cheese

Something weirder happens with Ermac and Johnny though; the last hit of windmill punches whiffs completely, meaning that Liu can no-longer special cancel afterwards.
With Ermac on I switched to player 2 and did a little jump test just to see how negative/positive Liu was after this last hit whiffs, and he actually seems slightly positive (couldn't guess how positive though)

Thought this was pretty strange. Again this may have already been posted and many of you probably know about it, I'm just wondering what the reason for it could be ?

Last edited:

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Yeah. We Liu Kang players are talking about this since day one I think (lmao), but nobody made a thread about it untill now. Thanks :)
And don't forget about Flame Fist's EX fireball that is MID but against several characters it is HIGH :(

Orangutan

WutanOrangutan
@Bruno-NeoSpace Ah fair do's man thanks, has it always not built meter against these chracters ?

EDIT - And how positive do you reckon he is afterwards against ermac and jc ? he looks around +2 or +3

Last edited: