What's new

Will Virus Scare invigorate the Online Kompeditive Scene? Should Pro-League Season 2 include Online events like Kolosseum?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So... it is Doomsday apparently. In Australia supermarkets are getting cleaned out and we are hearing everything from "what'evs" to "everyone will die". I have no idea, I'm not a medial professional, but looking at South Korea and the eSport scene there I can see that we could be looking at the banning of large groups. The AFL (Australian football league) has already posted that even if a ban forces empty stadium, they will still play the actual games. In fact in China and Korea they are pushing a lot of money into sports to give the billion or so people in home quarantine something to watch.

So this made me think.. how will this, if at all, effect the competitive FGC. I mean will Evo even happen? I'm not sure how the US handles things, but many countries are outright banning large conventions. PAX for example was cancelled.

After Final Kombat we all expect a 2nd Pro League from NRS. At least I do. Maybe instead of doing everything in events that may not happen due to the outbreak, they should put more focus into online events for season 2. I'm not saying we should abandon Combo Breaker or Evo or KiT and stuff. What I am saying though is that NRS has not been huge with the support of Kombat Kup or War of The Gods, the two highest profile online events.

So the question is, would you be happy with Online Events becoming part of the pro tour for season 2 as official events. Knowing that once you open the door it may not be able to be closed again. Also, if say Viennality was cancelled, as part of the pro-tour, should it be allowed to run it as a online comp? Should online events be 1 or 2 days or entire long form events like Kombat Kup over weeks? etc etc

Any other thoughts welcome.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
So... it is Doomsday apparently. In Australia supermarkets are getting cleaned out and we are hearing everything from "what'evs" to "everyone will die". I have no idea, I'm not a medial professional, but looking at South Korea and the eSport scene there I can see that we could be looking at the banning of large groups. The AFL (Australian football league) has already posted that even if a ban forces empty stadium, they will still play the actual games. In fact in China and Korea they are pushing a lot of money into sports to give the billion or so people in home quarantine something to watch.

So this made me think.. how will this, if at all, effect the competitive FGC. I mean will Evo even happen? I'm not sure how the US handles things, but many countries are outright banning large conventions. PAX for example was cancelled.

After Final Kombat we all expect a 2nd Pro League from NRS. At least I do. Maybe instead of doing everything in events that may not happen due to the outbreak, they should put more focus into online events for season 2. I'm not saying we should abandon Combo Breaker or Evo or KiT and stuff. What I am saying though is that NRS has not been huge with the support of Kombat Kup or War of The Gods, the two highest profile online events.

So the question is, would you be happy with Online Events becoming part of the pro tour for season 2 as official events. Knowing that once you open the door it may not be able to be closed again. Also, if say Viennality was cancelled, as part of the pro-tour, should it be allowed to run it as a online comp? Should online events be 1 or 2 days or entire long form events like Kombat Kup over weeks? etc etc

Any other thoughts welcome.
Toilet paper is like gold here now lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Everyone won’t die, but some people will (especially older people, and people whose health is already bad) and that’s unfortunate.

I can’t figure out if when everyone gets it, it’ll just become like the flu, and we’ll just go on with our normal lives, or if people really plan to try to avoid this forever.

Either way, I guess we have to see how bad it gets before we know how people will plan around it.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Online will definitely play a bigger role in all these FGC events due to this virus, though I think it is way to early to make any predictions. Events like EVO and PAX probably won't incorporate online IMO because the whole point of those things are to be a gathering place for people to play in person, but the the pro-tours and even (maybe) the finals for those pro-tours may have to incorporate online. I think the Final tournaments are a bit less likely to be online though, as putting that much money on the line may become to suspect with all the things that could go wrong in an online environment.

portent

Noob
I can't stress enough how important it is to keep on keeping on with our lives.

Before racing off into a panic, hording things you don't need, please read:

Pandemics all end in one of 2 ways:

1. They either spread relatively quickly and nearly everyone is affected by it and we build global immunity (most common)
  2. They spread slowly enough that we contain them temporarily while developing an effective vaccine, which isn’t common at all.
So far, #1 is happening. COV19 is spreading relatively quickly, it's really not likely to contain it, and we're going to develop global immunity to it before an effective vaccine is created that can be quickly distributed and administered to the general global population.

Next, be aware that as warmer weather approaches, the COV19 "season" will end. That means areas of the globe that are warmer will have a lower rate of infection while colder areas will have a higher rate of infection.

PLEASE DO NOT BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINKS COLD WEATHER CAUSES DISEASE.
DISEASE IS SPREAD MORE EASILY IN COLDER WEATHER BECAUSE LARGER QUANTITIES OF PEOPLE SPEND LARGER QUANTITIES OF TIME INDOORS SHARING THE SAME STALE AIR.
This causes disease to spread faster than in warmer weather where everyone is outside and not spreading germs as effectively.

Fortunately by the time a season ends in one part of the world and it begins in another, our medical technology should begin to have a handle on COV19 and how it works and have had enough time to properly test effective vaccines against it. By then, said vaccine will begin global distribution and COV19 will be no more or less dangerous than H1N1, SARS, MERS and the like.

Don't cancel your plans. Be smart about things. Bring hand sanitizer. Don't touch everything and then shove your fingers and hands on and in your face. Keep yourself clean with soap and water after you touch things. If you can't clean with soap and water, keep your hands sanitized, keep your house and your belongings clean. If you're going to an event, bring disinfecting wipes and clean off the seats and handrails that you touch and sanitize your hands after touching stuff.

If you hide inside from this, it will still eventually affect you. You have no idea what the UPS, Postal Service, any post service or parcel service was touching, money, customers, coworkers, friends, family, etc was all touching or whom they've come in contact with.

Just live your life, be careful and take precautions for now.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I can't stress enough how important it is to keep on keeping on with our lives.

Before racing off into a panic, hording things you don't need, please read:

Pandemics all end in one of 2 ways:

1. They either spread relatively quickly and nearly everyone is affected by it and we build global immunity (most common)
  2. They spread slowly enough that we contain them temporarily while developing an effective vaccine, which isn’t common at all.
So far, #1 is happening. COV19 is spreading relatively quickly, it's really not likely to contain it, and we're going to develop global immunity to it before an effective vaccine is created that can be quickly distributed and administered to the general global population.

Next, be aware that as warmer weather approaches, the COV19 "season" will end. That means areas of the globe that are warmer will have a lower rate of infection while colder areas will have a higher rate of infection.

PLEASE DO NOT BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINKS COLD WEATHER CAUSES DISEASE.
DISEASE IS SPREAD MORE EASILY IN COLDER WEATHER BECAUSE LARGER QUANTITIES OF PEOPLE SPEND LARGER QUANTITIES OF TIME INDOORS SHARING THE SAME STALE AIR.
This causes disease to spread faster than in warmer weather where everyone is outside and not spreading germs as effectively.

Fortunately by the time a season ends in one part of the world and it begins in another, our medical technology should begin to have a handle on COV19 and how it works and have had enough time to properly test effective vaccines against it. By then, said vaccine will begin global distribution and COV19 will be no more or less dangerous than H1N1, SARS, MERS and the like.

Don't cancel your plans. Be smart about things. Bring hand sanitizer. Don't touch everything and then shove your fingers and hands on and in your face. Keep yourself clean with soap and water after you touch things. If you can't clean with soap and water, keep your hands sanitized, keep your house and your belongings clean. If you're going to an event, bring disinfecting wipes and clean off the seats and handrails that you touch and sanitize your hands after touching stuff.

If you hide inside from this, it will still eventually affect you. You have no idea what the UPS, Postal Service, any post service or parcel service was touching, money, customers, coworkers, friends, family, etc was all touching or whom they've come in contact with.

Just live your life, be careful and take precautions for now.
Stop making sense.

DeftMonk

Noob
To the people that have no idea wtf is going on...this virus is no joke it’s not some media hype or wtfever. I don’t know what is going on as far as how many people have the virus in usa atm but if ur city has a few hundred people infected...I would just kick it in the crib to be honest. Here in China if the government says “tomorrow everyone go outside wearing one shoe and one hat on the other foot” people do that shit immediately. USA is not like that...people won’t wear masks or be told what to do so the shit will spread quick if it’s not contained. Not trying to scare ya guys but for the last month if I go downstairs to get a delivery there’s dudes in hazmat suits outside my complex. If numbers start to get high over there I’d honestly avoid places with high concentration of people.

To the people that have no idea wtf is going on...this virus is no joke it’s not some media hype or wtfever. I don’t know what is going on as far as how many people have the virus in usa atm but if ur city has a few hundred people infected...I would just kick it in the crib to be honest. Here in China if the government says “tomorrow everyone go outside wearing one shoe and one hat on the other foot” people do that shit immediately. USA is not like that...people won’t wear masks or be told what to do so the shit will spread quick if it’s not contained. Not trying to scare ya guys but for the last month if I go downstairs to get a delivery there’s dudes in hazmat suits outside my complex. If numbers start to get high over there I’d honestly avoid places with high concentration of people.
“I’m not trying to scare you guys”

Scares literally everyone

hazmat suits my dude? Like in 28 weeks later?!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
he's not wrong. I mean I know America has a terrible reputation around the world.. but then again it is the place of Flat Earth, Anti-Vax and other anti-intellectualism, as well as having world famously terrible healthcare and one of the worst rich/poor breaks in the 1st world. Not saying it is representative of everyone there, in a country of 300million or w/e there are for sure normal people, probably even in the majority, but I think it is probably a safe bet that many Americans are not taking this seriously and stuff and you only need 1 to infect a heap of people and them infect others before they realize it. I mean even their President is publicly giving advice that is the polar opposite of health professionals.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
The weak shall be purged.
Not cool..even if it’s for the “lolz” this shit is no joke and cats are losing their lives by the thousands out there over this virus...

...I have to end my Friday looking at some edgelord troll stuff like this?

Smh..it’s all fun and games until cats start realizing that the opening storyline scene for Tom Clancy’s “The division” game is actually happening in real time...not funny you try hard

he's not wrong. I mean I know America has a terrible reputation around the world.. but then again it is the place of Flat Earth, Anti-Vax and other anti-intellectualism, as well as having world famously terrible healthcare and one of the worst rich/poor breaks in the 1st world. Not saying it is representative of everyone there, in a country of 300million or w/e there are for sure normal people, probably even in the majority, but I think it is probably a safe bet that many Americans are not taking this seriously and stuff and you only need 1 to infect a heap of people and them infect others before they realize it. I mean even their President is publicly giving advice that is the polar opposite of health professionals.
American here. This would have hurt to read if I hadn't accepted the fact some of my fellow man are like this and died in side years ago.