What's new

Will MKX Die When Injustice 2 Comes Out

Its already dying now with lack of competition in the main tournament scene and E-sports moving on to bigger projects that are consistently filled with viewers and higher viewership trends than MKX was. At it's peak (EVO 2016), it had it's lowest entrants to date for any new game that year so it was already on a downwards trend anyway.

I don't think the game will die but the the day of big money payouts for MKX will. Sadly, this tends to be the cycle with fighting games the last few years. Only one that seems to stand the test of time is Smash.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I don't think the game will die but the the day of big money payouts for MKX will. Sadly, this tends to be the cycle with fighting games the last few years. Only one that seems to stand the test of time is Smash.
And KI
And SF
And MVC
And KoF
And Tekken
And pretty much any other FG that isn't an NRS title. I wonder why?!

Tweedy

Noob
It will only die if the community allows it to.
What if all of the money and esports sponsors move on to it? There's not much that the community can do about it at that point.

It's cute to say "forget the money, travel out of pocket to potentially win nothing, for the sake of the game", but that won't happen.

Tweedy

Noob
And KI
And SF
And MVC
And KoF
And Tekken
And pretty much any other FG that isn't an NRS title. I wonder why?!
Street Fighter 4 had it's biggest year and then immediately died when Street Fighter V came out.

I know Injustice and MK are not the same franchise, but they might as well be.

E

Eldriken

What if all of the money and esports sponsors move on to it? There's not much that the community can do about it at that point.

It's cute to say "forget the money, travel out of pocket to potentially win nothing, for the sake of the game", but that won't happen.
Or people can just have side tournaments. I don't consider that to mean a game is dead. A dead game, to me, means that no one plays it at all and has no desire to do so, whether or not money is involved.

I'd imagine people wouldn't be against continuing to play MKX even after Injustice 2 drops. While it may not be on the big screen, people will still be playing it if they so choose.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Street Fighter 4 had it's biggest year and then immediately died when Street Fighter V came out.

Difference is Tweedy mate, SF4 had been out since 2008. And SFV is basically an upgraded version of its predecessor. So that point is moot.

MK and Injustice to me are worlds apart and I couldn't be less bothered about its upcoming squeal. I'm a die hard MK fan that severely dislikes DC fiction.

Fuck Injustice.

Tweedy

Noob
Or people can just have side tournaments. I don't consider that to mean a game is dead. A dead game, to me, means that no one plays it at all and has no desire to do so, whether or not money is involved.

I'd imagine people wouldn't be against continuing to play MKX even after Injustice 2 drops. While it may not be on the big screen, people will still be playing it if they so choose.
I'll play it at the majors that I go to for Injustice 2, if it's there.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As long as there's a GOAT player of any character from MKX, this game will NEVER die. I'm not going to allow my favorite Ice Ninja to die just for something WB wants. I will play both Injustice and MK, but I will NEVER quit MK.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Problem is many people And many top players don't even like MKX, and play solely because it is the active competitive game.

If games like MK9 and Inj died which were much more appreciated than MKX, why do you think MKX stands a chance? That game is dead the instant Inj2 arrives.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Problem is many people And many top players don't even like MKX, and play solely because it is the active competitive game.

If games like MK9 and Inj died which were much more appreciated than MKX, why do you think MKX stands a chance? That game is dead the instant Inj2 arrives.
Prob is that WB fucked MKX after the last patch. Before they liked it, now they dislike it. I will wait for MKXI.

XCVIIDarkTruth

Evil bitch
Well the thing is that games like MKX are so hype in the beginning but after a while playing it just gets boring, that is with most of the games these days.

Games die out quickly because people always want something new or aren't satisfied with how games are now. They always want something extra like patches and DLC. These things create a certain demand for something new.

Game developers often feel rushed because of that and decide to make sequels of the game, which aren't that different compared to the previous version.

Anyways back on topic, MKX will most likely die out slowly because a newer game (injustice 2) is replacing it, that's just the way it goes.

The dead or alive scene is still alive but that's because team ninja releases monthly DLC and have battle royale.

E

Eldriken

Simple: not everyone shares our opinion on the game. Some people may not even like Injustice 2. It could turn out to be more 50/50 based than MKX. *shrug*

Will it die when Injustice 2 drops? More than likely. Not trying to contest that whatsoever. Just saying that it's always possible to keep something older afloat if it's what people really want.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
a video i made discussing if mkx will die when injustice 2 comes out

Short (and sad) answer is yes. MK vs DC died when MK9 came out (although that was merciful as MKDC sucked ass.) MK9 died when Injustice came out. Injustice died when MKX(L) came out. And the beat goes on...

Yeah but sf 4 came out almost a decade ago and sfv is the exact same archetype of game. Injustice vs mkx is nothing like sf4 vs sfv.

NRS games die out because of how quickly they make them and drop support. If mkx was still getting new content and large pot bonuses like sf4 was 8 years after release you might still have an invested community.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Simple: not everyone shares our opinion on the game. Some people may not even like Injustice 2. It could turn out to be more 50/50 based than MKX. *shrug*

Will it die when Injustice 2 drops? More than likely. Not trying to contest that whatsoever. Just saying that it's always possible to keep something older afloat if it's what people really want.
Yea like any game some people won't like the next, but MKX has by far the most dislike I've seen here. It also produced the fewest new top players and drove away the most. Ironic since it's the best game mechanic wise. It just isn't enjoyable to more people. Look how many people from casual Joe to Top 8 placer are waiting for Inj2. It was never like this before with the other games.

MK9 is glorified as holy, Inj is seen in fair regard, but I think MKX will be vilified after its dead. Tekken 4 style.