What's new

Question Will Kratos EVER be tournament legal?

Shoul Kratos be made Tourny legal?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • 2. No

Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
This is why Kratos has to rely on reads and mistakes from the opponent for the big damage. But until he can capitalize on his almost Cyrax-like damage output, Kratos has to play carefully, much like the other low-tier fighters; Jade and Kano come to mind.
You either have to know your opponents habit going in or learn them mid-match with Kratos. If it's the first one then players will readjust and bait counters leaving them open for full combos with some people. If it's the second one then it may not be until the second round, if even that, before you can get a good enough grasp on the opponent to do any good. Kratos has to play carefully but if you're playing the "counter" game then you have to be more than careful.

>There are few characters that are worse than Kratos
Such as Sheeva, Kano, Stryker, Nightwolf, and Sindel. But being worse than Baraka, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion is debatable and could go either way. Kratos seems like a low B-tier fighter to me.
IMO: Sheeva = yes; Kano = debatable (I'm leaning towards no); Stryker = yes; Nightwolf = yes but he has more potential than Kratos to me, like I can believe he'd be mid-high B tier before Kratos; Sindel = no.

He's not better than Sub as Sub also has a full combo-able counter while also being able to move and do other stuff while it's out. Sub also has some other gimmicks that make him more viable than Kratos.

Scorpion is debatable but I'd say no. Scorpion is OK - Good up close and Bad - OK at zoning but can instantly close a full screen gap if need be. Kratos alone would get eaten by Scorpion: He can't counter hellflame (as far as I know), his arrows are slow so he can teleport right to Kratos then f4xx Spear as the counter can be hit low. This is all theory as I've never tested it but it sounds right. Regard;ess, I believe Scorp is above Kratos.

I don't know enough about Baraka so I can't say either way.

I would agree with low B-tier but that's at best.

You either have to know your opponents habit going in or learn them mid-match with Kratos. If it's the first one then players will readjust and bait counters leaving them open for full combos with some people. If it's the second one then it may not be until the second round, if even that, before you can get a good enough grasp on the opponent to do any good. Kratos has to play carefully but if you're playing the "counter" game then you have to be more than careful.

IMO: Sheeva = yes; Kano = debatable (I'm leaning towards no); Stryker = yes; Nightwolf = yes but he has more potential than Kratos to me, like I can believe he'd be mid-high B tier before Kratos; Sindel = no.

He's not better than Sub as Sub also has a full combo-able counter while also being able to move and do other stuff while it's out. Sub also has some other gimmicks that make him more viable than Kratos.

Scorpion is debatable but I'd say no. Scorpion is OK - Good up close and Bad - OK at zoning but can instantly close a full screen gap if need be. Kratos alone would get eaten by Scorpion: He can't counter hellflame (as far as I know), his arrows are slow so he can teleport right to Kratos then f4xx Spear as the counter can be hit low. This is all theory as I've never tested it but it sounds right. Regard;ess, I believe Scorp is above Kratos.

I don't know enough about Baraka so I can't say either way.

I would agree with low B-tier but that's at best.
Hmmm........that's true. You gotta have a great adaptability rate to do consistently well with that style of play using Kratos.

You have good points there about some of the fighters I have mentioned. Though for Scorpion, yeah, I believe Scorpion has better viability tourney-wise than Kratos.

>Scorpion vs Kratos
I have the MU listed as a 5-5 right now. Kratos cannot counter Hellfire, his only way to escape besides jumping is to EX Hermes Dash, or Flash Parry the Hellfire. Kratos needs to be much less liberal on his usage of Apollo's Bow in the case of Scorpion. In this matchup, Kratos cannot use his Golden Fleece to beat Scorpion's shit for long, due to the danger of F+4xxSpear into Vortex. Kratos has to deal with this like every other fighter; guess the 50/50. Guess wrong and Kratos eats damage into another Vortex, guess right and Scorpion will recieve at least 40%.

Scorpion vs Kratos is an interesting MU: Both characters have to take risks, both of their better ways to dish out big damage are relatively unsafe while most of their safe tools deal less damage than would be preferred. A patient style of play by Kratos is almost negated by Scorpion, as he can initiate 50/50s while up-close and not having Speared his opponent. With this in mind, plus your points, I think Scorpion controls the pace of the battle more than Kratos can. For Kratos to gain a bit more respect, he would have to be able to consistently punish Scorpion's mistakes, but this depends on the mistakes and triumphs made by both fighters.

(Kratos is capable of an aggressive playstyle, it's just impaired a bit by his fastest standing normal being 12 frames)

>Low B-tier, but that's at best
I appreciate your opinion on my tier placing of Kratos, but at best? Upper-mid B-tier is where I think Kratos is at best. At worst, Kratos is top C-tier.
(Just a friendly note: Kratos is my current main)

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MLG is sponsored by PS3, I'm surprised Sony didn't try and pull some strings and make Kratos legal there.

Edit: I think we could unban him at this point, but make it a special rule, so if you use Kratos, you have to ask your opponent if its cool to use him, and they have the right to decline, like if there an xbox player and have no matchup experience, or if there just an asshole and hate you.

Its probably just easier to keep him forever banned though.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
MLG is sponsored by PS3, I'm surprised Sony didn't try and pull some strings and make Kratos legal there.

Edit: I think we could unban him at this point, but make it a special rule, so if you use Kratos, you have to ask your opponent if its cool to use him, and they have the right to decline, like if there an xbox player and have no matchup experience, or if there just an asshole and hate you.

I like this idea actually.

And I can believe mid-B tier so at best may be a bit exaggerated but upper B is a stretch IMO.

That special rule is what I was thinking of a week or two ago! :eek:

And I can believe mid-B tier so at best may be a bit exaggerated but upper B is a stretch IMO.
Just a spot or two higher than the middle of B-tier is what I meant by "Upper-mid".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
To be honest, I wouldn't mind it at this point. The argument for him being banned is that he's a character exclusive, players playing on XBL won't have experience versus him. But seeing as how online is ass in MK9, you're not gonna get much experience versus him online either way. And considering all the tournaments are held on a PS3, I just don't see it being as big of a problem as before.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
To be honest, I wouldn't mind it at this point. The argument for him being banned is that he's a character exclusive, players playing on XBL won't have experience versus him. But seeing as how online is ass in MK9, you're not gonna get much experience versus him online either way. And considering all the tournaments are held on a PS3, I just don't see it being as big of a problem as before.
Plus he is shit tier anyway.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Only good to be a short-lived gimmick against most Kabals, as he can really fuck up the NDC pressure system and turn it into a guessing game for both fighters, and he nearly completely negates Kuh-Bawl's zoning with his Parry.
Then he would actually be pretty useful, but even so most Kabals would find a way around this I am sure.

Then he would actually be pretty useful, but even so most Kabals would find a way around this I am sure.
But it will be a good time of peace while his gimmick-factor lasts, before the Legion of Darth Vaders create strategies and tactics against him. Kabal would be back to being number one in the end.