What's new

Question Will Kratos EVER be tournament legal?

Shoul Kratos be made Tourny legal?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • 2. No

Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters
*Long, good post*
>Moves are slower than a turtle stuck in quicksand
While they are like trying to drive over a reinforced-iron caution cone glued to the pavement with Mighty Putty, they are usable. Certainly not viable for a playstyle focused on aggression, but rather for reads, being patient, and all that shit Jade and Kano have to play like to be successful.

>Bow of Apollo
Faster than CSZ's Ice Ball and only -1 on block, but yes, it is easy to see it coming from Russia on startup. That flaming glow doesn't help matters.

>Head of Helios
The point of it is to hit-confirm into a high-damage combo. Could be used as a "sort of whiff punisher" but it isn't quite so reliable on that, in my opinion. HoH is a bit nice for jump-ins.

>Low-hitting slide?
It doesn't hit low. D:
It is not recommended to try going for a full Hermes Dash unless you read a projectile from the opponent, then you go for the EX Hermes Dash if you gotta get up-close. If it's blocked, the opponent has until Christmas 2016 to punish. It's really, really negative on block.

>Hermes Dash Cancels
Only if you let the opponent get used to seeing you try that; gotta mix it up! Don't try going for HDC blockstring pressure, it's easy to escape, do it less-than-frequently.

>Fucked up shit
Strange, I'm not sure if that happened to me. Perhaps it did, but I do not recall at the moment.

>X-Ray
That amazing reach has saved me on a few occasions throughout my time maining him.

>Negative on block
1,1,2 + 2,1 + B4 + F1 + F2,2 + Apollo's Bow would like to say "hi", while B1,2 is feeling pretty sad right now.

>Joke
Perhaps he is, or perhaps his potential has not been attempted to be tapped into by anyone due to his banned status and is therefore considered a joke by default.

>Kano and Sheeva are maybe worse than him
He's actually down there in low B-tier.

You should do a set with a Kabal player and post on TYM I think it would be pretty hype actually.
As soon as my MU experience against Kabal with Kratos improves just a smidge.

I believe Lulzlou already has such a video posted here. :D
That might be my video? Lulzy did not inform me of having uploaded one! I remember uploading two matches of Kabal vs Kratos against LulzLou.

oooh, where at?
Don't get your hopes up, there was latency, dropped combos, blood, and cake being thrown.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I've explained this so many times.

Yes, his combos have huge damage behind them...BUT, the speed of every single one of his normals, low pokes, and specials is absolutely horrendous. Good luck trying to catch your opponent in moves they can see coming from a mile away. The only good special he has going for him is that ridiculous parry, which can deflect physical and special attacks AND give you a full combo.

The flaming bow? Slow start-up and can be ducked.

The screaming statue? Slow on start-up, even slower if enhanced.

The low-hitting slide? You CAN hold it and dash-cancel it, but with slow normals like his it won't provide for great cancel pressure. Can be easily blocked on reaction, as it also has a slow start-up.

Here's something else that's fucked up: even if you should score a jump-in punch, if you try to connect his overhead b2 after that to start a full combo, it will sometimes cut out randomly, through no fault of your own.

He DOES have a great X-ray with long reach, I'll give him that.

And don't get me started on how negative on block ALL of his moves are, LOL.

He's a joke character. 'Nuff said. Only way to be successful with him is to play online.

If it makes people feel better, Kano and maybe Sheeva are even worse than him. *hides before the players of mentioned characters can hunt him down*
I'm aware of all of this. But dirt is still dirt, Quan Chi has the worst footsies in the game, doesn't change the fact that he has 70% unescapable damage from a read, likewise with Kratos, make a mistake, get dash canceled to death (although thank god most online players are too big a bunch of neanderthals to pull it off). Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
kratos' timing for dash cancels online is weird, lol. I think they should have made krato's moves a bit faster....i dunno maybe they used his reach as an excuse?, but good god lol. I still agree with alien tho, he's still pretty decent if you use him correctly. His parry makes it impossible to pressure consistantly or to zone from anywhere other than full screen or close to full screen. If only they made his dash block cancellable like kabals he woulda been much better x.x.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I was just inquisitive as to what most MK9 players felt about Kratos being on the tournoment circut. But, perhaps your right. Still it WOULD be a ballzy move to patch Kratos to the XBox :) I'd love to see a company take that bold step, it would be awsome IMO!
No, they couldn't do it even if they wanted to for copyright infringements. Sony owns Kratos and all rights to him. Never gonna happen

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Microsoft and Sony will merge into OmniSoft, which will then be bought out by Disney shortly after.....

Kratos is ass anyway, who would use him in a tournament?
As an "almost counterpick" against Kabal. Train with the MU really hard and show it to them Darth Vaders at a tourney and Kratos would, for a short time, be thought of as an "Anti-Kabal" by the community, until the Kuh-Bawl legion starts learning how to D+4xxNDC~D+4xxNDC~repeat and conjure other anti-Kratos strategies. Kabal would be back to being #1 in the end.

It's not about how I play with them. I'm ass with Mileena but she's really good. It's about his mechanics, not my playing him.
Players of low-tier fighters have to play with the cards they are dealt, and players who use Kratos are no exception to this.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
As an "almost counterpick" against Kabal. Train with the MU really hard and show it to them Darth Vaders at a tourney and Kratos would, for a short time, be thought of as an "Anti-Kabal" by the community, until the Kuh-Bawl legion starts learning how to D+4xxNDC~D+4xxNDC~repeat and conjure other anti-Kratos strategies. Kabal would be back to being #1 in the end.

Counterpick simply because people don't know the matchup? This can be said for a few characters.

Counterpick because of the counter? It merely takes out his zoning game, the counter can be beat by lows. You yourself gave an example.

Kratos wouldn't be an "Anti-Kabal", he'd be a gimmick that some people don't know.

Players of low-tier fighters have to play with the cards they are dealt, and players who use Kratos are no exception to this.
I know this one as I play low-tier in other fighters. However, playing a low-tier character well doesn't make their tools any better. He has low startup for a ton of his moves and normals, most good players can block alot of his more damaging combos. Unlike something like Marvel where you can compensate for the weakness of a character, he's out there on an island fending for himself. There are few characters that are worse than Kratos in this game.

I know this one as I play low-tier in other fighters. However, playing a low-tier character well doesn't make their tools any better. He has low startup for a ton of his moves and normals, most good players can block alot of his more damaging combos. Unlike something like Marvel where you can compensate for the weakness of a character, he's out there on an island fending for himself. There are few characters that are worse than Kratos in this game.
So right about Kratos only being a gimmick against Kabal. I was merely predicting the events that would occur if he were to be unbanned. Kratos would be a short-lived fighter in this instance against the best character in MK9.

>Playing a low-tier fighter does not make their tools any better
True. Low-tier fighters require more fundamental play than the high-tier.

>Slow startup
This is why Kratos has to rely on reads and mistakes from the opponent for the big damage. But until he can capitalize on his almost Cyrax-like damage output, Kratos has to play carefully, much like the other low-tier fighters; Jade and Kano come to mind.

>There are few characters that are worse than Kratos
Such as Sheeva, Kano, Stryker, Nightwolf, and Sindel. But being worse than Baraka, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion is debatable and could go either way. Kratos seems like a low B-tier fighter to me.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
I'm sure they could patch him, sense MLG has declaired PS3 the base platform for MK9 tournys anyway. I mean it would only benifit for Nether Realms to make him more playable in tournies and it would drive PS3 sale higher for those die hards fighting game players (in theory).
There has been like a year since the last patch they are never patching mk9 again

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I've explained this so many times.

Yes, his combos have huge damage behind them...BUT, the speed of every single one of his normals, low pokes, and specials is absolutely horrendous. Good luck trying to catch your opponent in moves they can see coming from a mile away. The only good special he has going for him is that ridiculous parry, which can deflect physical and special attacks AND give you a full combo.

The flaming bow? Slow start-up and can be ducked.

The screaming statue? Slow on start-up, even slower if enhanced.

The low-hitting slide? You CAN hold it and dash-cancel it, but with slow normals like his it won't provide for great cancel pressure. Can be easily blocked on reaction, as it also has a slow start-up.

Here's something else that's fucked up: even if you should score a jump-in punch, if you try to connect his overhead b2 after that to start a full combo, it will sometimes cut out randomly, through no fault of your own.

He DOES have a great X-ray with long reach, I'll give him that.

And don't get me started on how negative on block ALL of his moves are, LOL.

He's a joke character. 'Nuff said. Only way to be successful with him is to play online.

If it makes people feel better, Kano and maybe Sheeva are even worse than him. *hides before the players of mentioned characters can hunt him down*
Kratos looks to be great against Kabal and JC pressure coz of the parry ^^
He can do 54% meterless very easily :

2 combos or 1 combo + some parries and you dead..

Just this can possibly make him midtier or counterpick char. I've seen Insuperable's Kratos and he beat great player with.

Also, and this is more a question : does dash cancel can make him faster ?

Kratos looks to be great against Kabal and JC pressure coz of the parry ^^
He can do 54% meterless very easily :

2 combos or 1 combo + some parries and you dead..

Just this can possibly make him midtier or counterpick char. I've seen Insuperable's Kratos and he beat great player with.

Also, and this is more a question : does dash cancel can make him faster ?
>Against Kabal and Cage pressure
The Golden Fleece creates a guessing game as to whether or not Kabal should continue with normal pressure, wait for the Parry so he can punish it on the recovery frames, or low-poke and hope Kratos doesn't jump. Kratos vs Johnny is 6-4 with the odds towards Kratos.

>54% Meterless
Kratos has a 55% meterless BnB, and a 40% AA BnB.

>2/1 combos + Parries = Death
Not quite as simple as that, the reason being Breakers.

>Mid-tier or counterpick character
He's a low B-tier fighter. I don't think there are any significant MUs where Kratos could be considered a counter.

>Insuperable
Not to detract from Insuper, but practically nobody has any MU experience against Kratos. Though it is pretty cool that Insuperable has done that. ^_^

>Hermes Dash Cancel
Gives good cancel advantage on block, but nothing really on speed, unless you rapidly HDC backwards to create space between you and the opponent.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
HELL... NO ..!

Those people who only have this game on the 360 or do not own a PS3 will never have the chance to learn what he can do and how to fight him. I still, to this day, have no clue what his moves are, nor do I care. Why? Because he is not allowed in tournaments.

HELL... NO ..!

Those people who only have this game on the 360 or do not own a PS3 will never have the chance to learn what he can do and how to fight him. I still, to this day, have no clue what his moves are, nor do I care. Why? Because he is not allowed in tournaments.
Let's be serious here, the only time Xbox players have to fear Kratos is when they get invited to an after-tourney casual/money match with somebody who plays Kratos, while the aforementioned 360 player is unknowing of this fact.

Hermes dash on charge also make him whiff some projectile !!!! ^^
He can crouch those projectiles instead, but holding a Hermes Dash for projectile whiffing can be good for building a tiny amount of meter!