What's new

Will Brainiac be unlocked from the start?

Blitzace10

The Aquatic Ace
I put MKX in yesterday and it got me to thinking. You know how Shinnok had to be unlocked by completing the story mode? Does anyone know if Brainiac will be treated the same way?

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
but since they've emphasised how much length the story is having this time around, I certainly hope so. Don't want to have to play through 8 hours of story day 1 to lab my char lol

Lokheit

Noob
And here I thought the unlockable character would be Joker as a surprise from his return from the dead during the story.

Or maybe they're both unlockable like Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero in MK9.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
He's probably the main antagonist. (Just my guess. That isn't confirmed.) It would make sense for him to be locked, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
If there ARE unlockable chatacters, considering the length of the story mode seems like it will be the largest thus far, they coild adopt the Smash Bros. system of unlocks whereby there are multiple ways to unlock a particular character, be it playing on a certain stage with a certain character a certain number of times, beating certain modes or having played an overall number of matches to eventually unlock everyone.

Or just have everyone unlocked.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
He's probably the main antagonist. (Just my guess. That isn't confirmed.) It would make sense for him to be locked, at least from a gameplay perspective.
How does that make sense? If you're playing story mode, you're going to be playing who they want you to play regardless, so it makes no sense to have him locked in 1 v 1.

And if people don't want story spoilers in character dialogue, they don't have to lab him or play online until they're ready. OR they can skip the dialogue (or hopefully turn it off via options).

All you're doing, when locking characters behind a story mode, is handcuffing players that don't want to play that mode (like me).

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
It's so stupid to have to unlock a character by finishing story mode, but they didn't do that in IGAU. It seems to be more of an Mortal Kombat thing so far. I wouldn't put it past them though.

If the whole roster is unlocked, I dont think I'll even play Story Mode....I mean, who fucking cares.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
How does that make sense? If you're playing story mode, you're going to be playing who they want you to play regardless, so it makes no sense to have him locked in 1 v 1.

And if people don't want story spoilers in character dialogue, they don't have to lab him or play online until they're ready. OR they can skip the dialogue (or hopefully turn it off via options).

All you're doing, when locking characters behind a story mode, is handcuffing players that don't want to play that mode (like me).
I didn't say it was beneficial for competition, I said it made sense from a gameplay perspective. Not only does it provide incentive for a player to involve themselves in the story, the game rewards you with the ability to use the very force you were trying to defeat in the narrative.

I imagine there are other rewards as well, such as pieces to player cards and gear sets.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I remember when people complained about DLC characters, claiming they should be unlockable in-game, just like the old days.

Now people complain about having to unlock characters, just like the old days.

What is happening here??

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I have no issues playing story mode to unlock a character. It's not the first time NRS done this, and sure isn't the first time I had to play a game in my life to unlock something.

Blitzace10

The Aquatic Ace
Well he might just be, Today on the stream they showed the entire Character Select Screen. Brainiac and Joker were vacant slots. Not a confirm but still. Never know.