What's new

will 3rd strike online be played competitively?

blinky

Noob
Yes I would like to see it and yes it will be played competitively, not as a top-billing game, but it will be a staple at all majors once it comes out.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
3rd strike is going to be completely revitalized. GGPO, a solid trainer, uploads directly to youtube via console, the challenges from SF4, etc. I'm sure we'll certainly see it in offline tournaments, but having GGPO means that it'll actually be the first fighting game to be viable for online tournaments, which is huge. This will be the first fighting game that'll be taken online seriously, well in America, at least - Japan has their superior internet.

I'm looking forward to it, I never got around to the game when I was younger, but I'll be playing the hell out of it simply due to GGPO. Everything else is great too, but GGPO was the selling point for me. I can actually play competitively without getting off my couch, for once.

After this, GGPO will become the standard, sadly it was in the dark before and wasn't well known but once Capcom puts this out there not having GGPO is going to flat out kill any other fighters released in the future.

Noob
This game is going to bring 3s back. No doubt that this game will see 3s played competitively again. Can't wait.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I took one look at the tier list and ran, lol... I want to be a super hardcore fighting game player too, but seriously, Jesus Christ.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I've barely played the game, but going purely on informed hearsay... the balance seems pretty lopsided, and all of the characters that look cool to me are apparently horrible.

Going off of the tier list, it doesn't even look like SF2, where characters have some good matchups and some bad ones... some are just great, and some just suck ass.

But it does seem to be the fine wine of fighting games. Matches are fun to watch, but I don't think I could ever get into playing it.

RoGE

Noob
I've barely played the game, but going purely on informed hearsay... the balance seems pretty lopsided, and all of the characters that look cool to me are apparently horrible.

Going off of the tier list, it doesn't even look like SF2, where characters have some good matchups and some bad ones... some are just great, and some just suck ass.

But it does seem to be the fine wine of fighting games. Matches are fun to watch, but I don't think I could ever get into playing it.
The game is unbalanced yes BUT if your very good at the game, you could make every fighter seem solid because of the parry system, you just got to know the match up and what to do in it. Thats why in Japan you can see multiple Hugo's body someone. Besides, even if a game is unbalanced it wouldn't matter too much if the game itself is very deep and technical with the fewer characters that compete (games like CVS2 and Marvel vs capcom 2 show this)

Noob question, but what is GGPO?

GGPO is a networking library that game developers can use to add networked gameplay support to arcade style games. GGPO's latency hiding techniques give each player a gameplay experience that is nearly indistinguishable from playing with their friends locally, even against players around the world.

http://ggpo.net/