What's new

Why zoners have teleport?

asmith

Noob
I'm simply curious. I don't understand the design behind giving teleport to zoners. If a zoner like Cetrion can zone you so heavy, wouldn't it be fair game if you finally get her into corner and she'll be in trouble? The teleport kinda resets all your effort trying to read her and getting close. Of course I'm talking about characters who doesn't have tools to reach her by other ways.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
The startup is fairly slow so if you get in on her, she can't just throw it out like Scorpion. Also her zoning is not braindead like Sonya. It involves frame traps and making reads.
It's still kinda braindead even at a high level. You cant roll forward, blocking a boulder leads to an annoying guessing game. And those boulder hitboxes jeez.

And when you get in you have one of the most solid characters fundamentals wise. Great footsies, great range, throw compliments her playstyle, anti airs are among the best.

The teleport being slow isnt really that detrimental as she can do it airborne. And right now d1 into wall is cheesy as hell but once ppl learn to flawless block it's gonna change the perception a lot. And to think people put her in low mid tier LOL

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
I've been playing her a bit and she does struggle against op stagger characters like liu kang. The the geyser can be avoided after a boulder with a dash block. At a high level you won't see boulder used as much as your typical ranked set.

Overall I consider her to be pretty fair to be honest.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Depends on the match up I think. She's really oppresive against some and somewhat vulnerable against others. But she has good buttons, to deal with every situation. Plus it takes a while to get in so she often has teleport/breakaway available. She's not broken but if she just changes up her timing you might have guessed right 3 times, but on the fourth you're wrong - fullscreen again baby. She does require a bit of finesse, I'll give her that.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Dhalsim has a teleport and a good portion of his game is trying to keep you from getting in.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Also boulder pressure really only works full screen against non teleport characters. Play her force of nature variation. It’s not even close to top tier.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It is fair game for a lot of characters that can give her major issues up close. Liu Kang, Jacqui, Jax, Erron, etc can make it very difficult to get them off of you, or deplete your life bars up close. If she wasn't able to teleport away while controlling space I'm not sure she'd be as good in other MUs, and really have some bad MUs in others.

Skarlet on the other hand has more recovery on hers, and can't do it in the air. The difference is she has safer normals, plus on block strings, ways to make far normals plus, faster startup specials, etc. They are both strong, but unique in their own ways. The do need the teleports though to compete with the incredibly strong offense in this game.