What's new

Strategy Why You Shouldn't Quit Matches When You're Getting Bodied

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
when it comes to participation trophys, forza horizon 4 was the worst. you can't lose in that game. even if you're last place the game will tell you how awesome you are and it marks the race as "won". you get a liiiiitle less credit points, which doesn't make any difference anyway. also the game has no normal online racing. you always have to race as a "team". what a load of horseshit. whats the point in winning if you can't lose? the worst thing is forza horizon 4 got a ton of awards. i was so hyped for that game. i don't think i was ever so dissapointet in a game.
Wow that's pretty horrid. I've been seeing this in games a lot lately, and that's why they're a big disappointment. Destiny 2, Fallout 76, like you can't even kill other players in that game unless THEY say you can...what kinda weak crap is that?

it's weird that something like this isn't mentioned anywhere. every gamesite just praises the game, which solidifys my view that game journalists don't play a game more than a few hours.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
when it comes to participation trophys, forza horizon 4 was the worst. you can't lose in that game. even if you're last place the game will tell you how awesome you are and it marks the race as "won". you get a liiiiitle less credit points, which doesn't make any difference anyway. also the game has no normal online racing. you always have to race as a "team". what a load of horseshit. whats the point in winning if you can't lose? the worst thing is forza horizon 4 got a ton of awards. i was so hyped for that game. i don't think i was ever so dissapointet in a game.
Alright, I'm all about games being accessible to everyone, but that's just a ridiculous concept there. There's no real incentive to improve yourself.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
it's weird that something like this isn't mentioned anywhere. every gamesite just praises the game, which solidifys my view that game journalists don't play a game more than a few hours.
Alright, I'm all about games being accessible to everyone, but that's just a ridiculous concept there. There's no real incentive to improve yourself.
Yep, no wonder when newcomers try fighting games and realize how much time and work it takes to get good they just drop it or stick with braindead tactics just to win and feel good about themselves. They'll never get that great feeling after you beat a really good opponent and if they never feel that, they never want to get better either, they never know what hard work actually gives you in return. It's sad to see tbh.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Yep, no wonder when newcomers try fighting games and realize how much time and work it takes to get good they just drop it or stick with braindead tactics just to win and feel good about themselves. They'll never get that great feeling after you beat a really good opponent and if they never feel that, they never want to get better either, they never know what hard work actually gives you in return. It's sad to see tbh.
That's pretty much why I had to stop playing MKX, because I knew I couldn't dedicate the time that was needed. I'm getting my ass kicked right now, but I still want to improve. I've got the time now that I'm done with university, I'm in this for the long run, no matter how painful this climb is.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
This is why I love From Software games. Dare to take people's expected participation trophy, and shove it down their throat so hard it comes out the other end.
There's a reason why I view my Platinum trophy in Bloodborne in a higher regard than my other trophies. It's because I know how much time I had to dedicate in learning enemy and boss attack patterns. Beating the Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled Chalice was simultaneously the most difficult and also the most satisfying moment I've felt in gaming.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
There's a reason why I view my Platinum trophy in Bloodborne in a higher regard than my other trophies. It's because I know how much time I had to dedicate in learning enemy and boss attack patterns. Beating the Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled Chalice was simultaneously the most difficult and also the most satisfying moment I've felt in gaming.
Yeah Bloodborne will always hold a treasured place in my heart. I've aced the entire game but didn't have the patience to deal with the chalice bullcrap. I'm neglecting tackling Sekiro because of MK11 but eh. To me personally From Software and fighting games have the same hill to climb. You don't really ever "Win" in games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne you only ever just... Get a little better. There's always a bigger challenge. No death, no upgrade runs. No armor runs. No blocking runs in Dark Souls ETC ETC. Fighting games likewise there is no ceiling. If you're turning everyone you fight online into lemon meringue you'll probably get shredded by local players and that's your next hurdle and so on.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Yeah Bloodborne will always hold a treasured place in my heart. I've aced the entire game but didn't have the patience to deal with the chalice bullcrap. I'm neglecting tackling Sekiro because of MK11 but eh. To me personally From Software and fighting games have the same hill to climb. You don't really ever "Win" in games like Dark Souls and Blood Borne you only ever just... Get a little better. There's always a bigger challenge. No death, no upgrade runs. No armor runs. No blocking runs in Dark Souls ETC ETC. Fighting games likewise there is no ceiling. If you're turning everyone you fight online into lemon meringue you'll probably get shredded by local players and that's your next hurdle and so on.
That's also something I like about Sekiro (which I've also put to the side for the time being). Unlike the other From Software games, you can't just grind and get your character stronger. You can do that to fill the skill tree, but there's no OP character build. You've got a katana, a prosthetic arm and tools, and basically that's all. You have to rely solely on your skill to get through the game, there's literally nobody that can help you since there's no co-op.

MalevolentFix

That's also something I like about Sekiro (which I've also put to the side for the time being). Unlike the other From Software games, you can't just grind and get your character stronger. You can do that to fill the skill tree, but there's no OP character build. You've got a katana, a prosthetic arm and tools, and basically that's all. You have to rely solely on your skill to get through the game, there's literally nobody that can help you since there's no co-op.
Damnit now I really want to play it lol

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Damnit now I really want to play it lol
I think that's why people are asking for there to be an Easy Mode since unlike the other From Software games, you have to just rely on yourself. You also can't go into it like others Souls games since unlike a game like Bloodborne where you can look for the opening and then gun-parry for a visceral attack, this relies heavily on hitting a few attacks, then deflecting and countering your opponent.

And just me talking about it is making me wanna return to the game.

MalevolentFix

I think that's why people are asking for there to be an Easy Mode since unlike the other From Software games, you have to just rely on yourself. You also can't go into it like others Souls games since unlike a game like Bloodborne where you can look for the opening and then gun-parry for a visceral attack, this relies heavily on hitting a few attacks, then deflecting and countering your opponent.

And just me talking about it is making me wanna return to the game.
Yeah it sounds amazing. I want to play Sekiro and I'm looking forward to the new Iceborne expansion in Monster Hunter. None of this is related to MK and we've gotten horribly off topic, but to our credit every game we're mentioning is in the same vein as the thread topic! To get better at these games you have to just keep punching the wall until you beat it into a doorway that you earned and can walk through whenever you want.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yeah it sounds amazing. I want to play Sekiro and I'm looking forward to the new Iceborne expansion in Monster Hunter. None of this is related to MK and we've gotten horribly off topic, but to our credit every game we're mentioning is in the same vein as the thread topic! To get better at these games you have to just keep punching the wall until you beat it into a doorway that you earned and can walk through whenever you want.
It's not off-topic, to be honest, the quitting epidemic started because of all kinds of games who used the participation trophy model and made people lazy.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Probably why I've gravitated towards Cassie and also have been sticking with Johnny. If I'm gonna win, I want to have earned it by using footsies and fundamentals rather than 50/50 guessing games.
Yep, I mean Cassie's combos are so tricky that I feel happy every time I hit one. I spend hours on the weekends just grinding combos and hitting them like 20-30 times and then switching sides and doing it all over again. That's what grinding looks like, not playing the towers XD I let my AI do that shit.