What's new

Why Travel to Tournaments?

Noob
Originally posted at:

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=3115

This is an important read for anyone considering tournament play, or wondering why they should consider it.

For anyone who might have missed them, longtime SRK community veteran Koop has begun writing an excellent series of tournament survival guides (part 1 and part 2). He explains how to travel for major tournaments in great detail. To complement his efforts, this article will explain why traveling to major tournaments is worthwhile.

First of all, Evo is simply an awesome event for people who care about fighting games. It’s hard to describe the unique atmosphere inside that hall. There’s a constant buzz in the air, like sitting in the stands at a pivotal playoff game, surrounded by other equally passionate fans. There’s always something going on – whether it’s a marquee matchup played on the big screen, or news about a recent upset, or floating rumors about certain underrated characters wrecking shop. There’s always someone to talk to and always something to look forward to.

Setting aside the sheer experience of attending Evo, let’s look at the value of participating in a major tournament on that scale. Being surrounded by competitive players for an entire weekend will improve your game, guaranteed.

There’s no question about it – you’ll walk away a better player. Even focusing solely on preliminary matches within your own entry pool, you’ll see things you’ve never seen before and face opponents you’ve never fought before. Every single victory will build your confidence and every loss will teach you something the hard way.

While local tournaments can certainly give you a taste of real pressure, they’ll always be skewed toward the dominant play style of your hometown. Anyone who’s been around this scene long enough will tell you that every major geographic region has its own characteristic approach to fighting games. For instance if you live in SoCal, the strongest local runaway player is usually nowhere near the strongest runaway player nationwide, simply because that particular style isn’t popular in the area.

At a major tournament, all these different styles collide over thousands of matches. It’s no accident that players who have done some traveling in the past tend to survive deeper into their brackets. From pools to top 8, you’re bound to run into a capable proponent of almost every style. It’s difficult to adapt quickly to gameplans you’ve never had to deal with before.

Now i know some of you are thinking, “I play online against opponents worldwide so I’ve seen every style.” Well, not quite. That statement might be true if there was no network latency. Unfortunately, lag transforms online play into a style of its own. Rushdown with lag is different from rushdown live; and so on. Let’s not forget that playing in your living room is an entirely different atmosphere compared to playing against strangers face-to-face at a tournament.

And yet, traveling outside your comfort zone to attend a major tournament will improve your online game as well. It all boils down to the level of competition you’re facing. The average player at Evo is more dedicated than the average player online. The average player at Evo makes a stronger effort to bring their A-game to the floor than the average player online. Combine these two factors and it becomes obvious why there’s nothing like the majors.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
They were doing it before you could play online, most important factor.

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
Yeah, online is so hard-coded into many players' minds these days. Just the other day I saw someone referring to doing something in the context of a real match (as opposed to vs AI), and instead of saying 'against another player' or something, he said 'online'. :7\

Noob
going to the tournaments is alot more fun than playing video games at home alone in your underwear. period.
True, playing in tournaments in your underwear with other people is way more fun!

Actually though, the social aspect of it is just amazing. Rarely do you see people not getting along... The atmosphere is just awesome... and though you're still playing a game you love to play, you can't help but feel like sometimes the pressure is on.

mach1

Noob
i did. i wasn't as good with it but the memories of the whole experience when i look at it..... amazing. I bet frankiebonez is still pissed. awesome times!

Playing at NECXI really has improved my game. I am playing way better than I ever have before. Getting to play great players with zero delay or lag is so awesome I can't describe it in words. When I lost, I had no one or nothing to blame but myself. The very basic thing you need to realize in order to improve. Playing on XBL has inflated my ego, playing offline was very humbling. A week later from NECXI and I'm still hyped!!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Playing at NECXI really has improved my game. I am playing way better than I ever have before. Getting to play great players with zero delay or lag is so awesome I can't describe it in words. When I lost, I had no one or nothing to blame but myself. The very basic thing you need to realize in order to improve. Playing on XBL has inflated my ego, playing offline was very humbling. A week later from NECXI and I'm still hyped!!
Quoted for Hype

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
your a beast! , but thats how it is offline is the only way!

AC1984

Kaballin!
Before an year ago I was considering my self as an online player who played occasionally against two players.One of them was killing me 99% of the time (ded_) and I honestly had no intentions to improve my game and take it seriously. When I made contact with Shock and Phil and decided to try the offline thing,everything turned upside down. I found a brand new hobby and something that makes me happy. An year later I can admit that I met some of the best dudes in my life, some of the best players in the game.....and honestly, with my boring nerdy school life if it wasnt for all of you, I would've gone back home and give up school.....so thanks, traveling to tourneys rule!!!!!