What's new

Why Tournament Standard Console is PS4?

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Because it's better.

Better system, better interface, better controller, and better games.
if that was the reason, PC would have had the biggest following. At least until NRS starting shafting PC players, but its whatever.

I think I agree with you if we just add in accessibility to that list. Much easier to set-up a bunch of consoles than a bunch of PC's, especially since fighters are often a little demanding and can't afford lost frames, it's not really practical, even though its theoretically better.

With the XBox One X coming really soon, these two points may no longer be true. That console will be a beast, and the days of PS4 running games better and having a higher resolution will be over.
Yeah I have never bought an XBox and I game mostly on PC, but I'm excited for the XBox1X, that thing is a beast. Glad to see consoles finally catching up with todays technology and pushing the bounds. For once it actually looks like a GREAT deal hardware wise. Hopefully consoles will stop holding back the quality of PC games now!

doesn't matter, 4k is a bust. I'm not spending 500 dollars on new systems where I have a system that does 1080p just fine.

We dont even use 4k monitors. We won't play at 4k for years to come, until the technology catches up and makes it lagless. Right now we still have games that play better at 720p for crying out loud.
I don't understand what you are talking about, practically everything released this millennium and even further back is playable in 4k all the way up to the latest games. My 4k monitor has lower response time than the EVO standard monitor. The technology is absolutely here, yes everything plays better at lower resolution because its less demanding, that is irrelevant when your hardware is capable of running it perfectly at 4k though, which the Xbox 1X will be, and PC's have been able to do for quite some time.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I don't understand what you are talking about, practically everything released this millennium and even further back is playable in 4k all the way up to the latest games. My 4k monitor has lower response time than the EVO standard monitor. The technology is absolutely here, yes everything plays better at lower resolution because its less demanding, that is irrelevant when your hardware is capable of running it perfectly at 4k though, which the Xbox 1X will be, and PC's have been able to do for quite some time.
Lower response time eh? You have less than a 1ms response time?? that .5 ms input lag??

God Confirm

Lower response time eh? You have less than a 1ms response time?? that .5 ms input lag??
my bad, you're right, I thought the rl460 had 2ms response time for some reason I was under the impression they went with a cheap workable monitor to have en-masse. Not sure why I thought that now.

EDIT: point still stands tho, there is no tradeoff for going 4k with todays tech

3 pages...

Injustice Pro Series presented by ps4

I wonder what console will be used...

Section 8.1.1 of the tournament rules says it should be the ps4 version.. kinda limits console choice.

Outside of the pro series, well it's upto the to I guess

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
my bad, you're right, I thought the rl460 had 2ms response time for some reason I was under the impression they went with a cheap workable monitor to have en-masse. Not sure why I thought that now.

EDIT: point still stands tho, there is no tradeoff for going 4k with todays tech
Maybe in a few years when it becomes affordable. Right now the average tournament setup can cost under 500 dollars. That includes a PS4, Monitor, and at least one game. XBonerx alone costs 500... for what... 4k? That shit aint gonna run too many games at 2160p @ 60fps. Even if it does, it'll probably be a dynamic/checkerboard resolution, that would add input delay.

Wavy

Block Spammer
-sfv exclusive this gen
-bigger playerbase(more sales and global following)

Pretty much the two reasons. The consoles on a hardware/software standpoint aren't the reasons. Xbox has gotten so much better in its UI.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
-sfv exclusive this gen
-bigger playerbase(more sales and global following)

Pretty much the two reasons. The consoles on a hardware/software standpoint aren't the reasons. Xbox has gotten so much better in its UI.
I would NOT count this as a better UI. Microsoft is well known for bringing and selling out its broken softwares. You ask for a fix, Microsoft will NEVER fix it. Better hold a small casket on this case.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Not sure if MS already changed already, but last time i checked XBOX1 had to way an update to fully download and install before playing game or being able to do anything with the console, we had this in PS3 and it used to be a huge pain in the ass wait to do anything else.

The PS4 update, upload and DL system won't free and say wait for something to fully download or upload in order to do anything, so you can play any game watch any video, browse anything, rune any app while anything else is download or uploading, i think its like p2p system or something.

The only times where you have to wait is when copying files from the system into a USB port, rendering videos edited on the console, trimming vids.

But when a new update for a game like a patch drops, we just continue to play the older version until the new patch is ready to install.

I felt like MS was really far behind in this aspect, and was really hoping they changed this with a future update, it was so 2013 lol.
Alright, if I'm understanding this correctly then that hasn't been an issue for years. When you download an update, the only thing you can't do is play the game or use the app being updated. Updates run and can be managed completely in the background while you do literally anything else.

I guess I'm confused because, admittedly I didn't get a day 1 Xbox One but one a few months into the system, but I never recalled any sort of UI lock up when I've downloaded or installed things.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
How people can prefer the Xbone pad over the Ps4 pad for fighters is beyond me. Do you guys use the analog stick or something wtf

I couldn't even do QCF motion in KI with that shitty pad. Abysmal dpad and mediocre analog stick. Stick probably better than PS4's but not that much.
I feel like it's truly personal preference. I've used an Xbox One pad for Injustice 2, MKX (doing Cage run cancels), KI and Injustice 1 after it went compatible and I've never had any issues with it. The inputs come up consistently and that's really all you can ask of a device.

Where as the PS4 controller... look, I'm a tall guy with big hands. I tried playing Guilty Gear with some friends a while back and we hadn't even played a dozen matches before it felt like someone was driving nails into the backs of my hands. The PS4 controller is, sometimes, physically painful to use if you have larger/longer hands.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Alright, if I'm understanding this correctly then that hasn't been an issue for years. When you download an update, the only thing you can't do is play the game or use the app being updated. Updates run and can be managed completely in the background while you do literally anything else.

I guess I'm confused because, admittedly I didn't get a day 1 Xbox One but one a few months into the system, but I never recalled any sort of UI lock up when I've downloaded or installed things.
In PS4 we can play the game, that's a big difference.

Tweedy

Noob
MKX was never about xbox. ESL was just sponsored by xbox for that year. The MKX tournament standard at all majors was always ps4.

Tweedy

Noob
How people can prefer the Xbone pad over the Ps4 pad for fighters is beyond me. Do you guys use the analog stick or something wtf

I couldn't even do QCF motion in KI with that shitty pad. Abysmal dpad and mediocre analog stick. Stick probably better than PS4's but not that much.
I like it more on NRS games, since NRS games are more back-forward heavy than diagonal input heavy. On a game like KI or SFV the xbox pad is an abomination.

Back-forward inputs are way smoother for me on the xbox pad, on the ps4 pad I kept getting jumps and shit.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
With the XBox One X coming really soon, these two points may no longer be true. That console will be a beast, and the days of PS4 running games better and having a higher resolution will be over.
And it will only cost you another $500.

Thingy

Retired account
And it will only cost you another $500.
Worth every penny for what you get. Especially for an XBox fan and the shortcoming of the current Xbox hardware. These days $500 is not that much money for the working man. I make more than that in a week.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I like it more on NRS games, since NRS games are more back-forward heavy than diagonal input heavy. On a game like KI or SFV the xbox pad is an abomination.

Back-forward inputs are way smoother for me on the xbox pad, on the ps4 pad I kept getting jumps and shit.
Yeah same, there aren't many diagonal inputs for NRS games and I don't play other fighters. I can see how someone would prefer PS4 pad for Street Fighter.

Tweedy

Noob
Yeah same, there aren't many diagonal inputs for NRS games and I don't play other fighters. I can see how someone would prefer PS4 pad for Street Fighter.
I've tried the xbox pad on SFV and the game is nearly unplayable imo. Better off just using the analog like jdm said.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
if that was the reason, PC would have had the biggest following. At least until NRS starting shafting PC players, but its whatever..
I mean, traditionally you either couldn't get some of these games on PC, or the PC version came out way later.

But in general, the interface for a console is still much better than PC for running tournament games. There are too many variables that can cause issues on PC, and the native PC inputs (like having to have a mouse, a mouse pad and space for it, and a keyboard) are cumbersone.

PS4 still superior here.

If you want to talk about graphics, that's a different issue, but I'm mainly talking about the kind of considerations you want for tournament play.

God Confirm

Maybe in a few years when it becomes affordable. Right now the average tournament setup can cost under 500 dollars. That includes a PS4, Monitor, and at least one game. XBonerx alone costs 500... for what... 4k? That shit aint gonna run too many games at 2160p @ 60fps. Even if it does, it'll probably be a dynamic/checkerboard resolution, that would add input delay.
I understand the point you are making a bit better now I thought you were just saying fuck the XBOX1X in general. Yeah even when it comes out its still gonna be like another 300 for a decent 4k monitor, that's not at all practical for tournament set-ups for now I guess.

Thingy

Retired account
I have had serious durability issues with the PS4 pad and the XBox One pad. This gen kinda dropped the ball on controllers. I use the Hori Fighting Commander for both consoles.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think this is a dead issue. PS4 is the standard. It's been that way for years.

Before Xbox ps1 & 2 was the absolute go too if your not traveling to an arcade if one still existed.

The arguments about controllers is kinda mute too. It's all personal preference. You can buy sticks and adapters to eliminate that.

I'm am Xbox guy. But I have to admit. When it comes to competition, player base and more games especially exclusives ps4 & pc kills Xbox.

I won't be buying the x1 or 1x whatever it's called.
E3 just came and gone without a mention of anything worth while going to "The One". Absolutely nothing of worth besides some indie games and Forza. Super.

So why buy a $500 console and what hope or pray it comes tournament standard, especially when fighting games truly aren't that popular on Xbox (look at KI) in a few years or have this console be anything more then geared to shooters, Halo or apps? My phone can do all that.

I really do wish this was not the case but ps4 or ps3 did not bury Xbox.

Xbox dug it's own grave by not giving people more reason to buy Xbox by not having any exclusive games, content, a stupid brick with long ass cords, more support to various communities across all games, no blu ray, cheaper prices, more rewards and a ton of other stuff pc and ps3/4 has done in the last 12 years.

And again. There still digging with the x1.