What's new

Why this game is so unfair to zoning ?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Everyone keeps saying this like it's a good thing, but if you even delay it just slightly the second hit will whiff and your opponent just drops leaving you at - frames.
And if you go for rune and want to block a reversal you get to enhance it, lose a bar and get full combo punished, corner carried into a hard knock down for hard to blockable set ups lol.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
What I do hate is the lack of balance between zoners. On one hand, we have characters who live and die by their zoning but can't zone (Balanced Kenshi, Cyber Kano to an extent, maybe Sektor) and on the other.. we have really good zoners who ALSO are capable of rushdown (Kitana, Liu, Piercing Mileena).

Also lol at Sektor being good at zoning.. yeah, guys, an 8% high is god like. "BUH UP MISSILES", they nerfed that to smithereens so you no longer have to give 2 shits about trading with Sektor.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
What I do hate is the lack of balance between zoners. On one hand, we have characters who live and die by their zoning but can't zone (Balanced Kenshi, Cyber Kano to an extent, maybe Sektor) and on the other.. we have really good zoners who ALSO are capable of rushdown (Kitana, Liu, Piercing Mileena).

Also lol at Sektor being good at zoning.. yeah, guys, an 8% high is god like. "BUH UP MISSILES", they nerfed that to smithereens so you no longer have to give 2 shits about trading with Sektor.
Yeah I guess Bone Shaper Shinnok isn't that good either bro

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity

Up missles and sektors zoning is still deadly, it just doesn't have retarded hit stun so you can go make some coffee then come back and hit confirm a combo. It isn't like sektor was nerfed to the ground. He is still very good and a very solid zoner. It is very possible and likely to zone people out the entire match and win convincingly with sektor.

STRYKIE

Hell sparks... BS is a great zoner not because of his dark beam alone, but because of the combination of Hell sparks and the dark beam.
And yet you say upmissiles are useless because if they trade with another projectile you can't convert from them meterlessly?

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Up missles and sektors zoning is still deadly, it just doesn't have (soap bar in my mouth) hit stun so you can go make some coffee then come back and hit confirm a combo. It isn't like sektor was nerfed to the ground. He is still very good and a very solid zoner. It is very possible and likely to zone people out the entire match and win convincingly with sektor.
But that's what made him so lethal, didn't it? The fact that you HAD to respect the up missile since getting hit meant full combo city.

Also @STRYKIE, sektor can barely convert period, not meterlessly or for 3 bars. I'm not sticking my neck out doing a 54 frame move just so I can have 10%.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
But that's what made him so lethal, didn't it? The fact that you HAD to respect the up missile since getting hit meant full combo city.

Also @STRYKIE, sektor can barely convert period, not meterlessly or for 3 bars. I'm not sticking my neck out doing a 54 frame move just so I can have 10%.
Yeah you still have to respect up missle. It makes it hard to get in, if I try and run in you can redirect the missile, you can use it in combination with your other zoning tools, you have a great get off me move, and 10% is actually quite a lot of damage. That is enough to respect it, because losing that 10% could be the difference between winning and losing.

Skedar70

Noob
But this is actually good. Its not that you can't zone, its that you actually have to combine it with some close up game in order to be effective.

STRYKIE

If that's how you feel then I don't think you actually realize what upmissile is actually for....

XxDark_

Noob
the zoning is fine in this game. also most of the zoning characters still have good options that you need to respect up close so im not seeing the problem here.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It was pretty obvious that zoning wasnt going to be legitmate in this game since day 1. Theres the ability to sprint and cancel that sprint safely into block, half screen advancing normals, or advancing armored launchers, plus backdashes require stamina and scrubs still think its hard to get in in this game lol. I miss Injustice so much, zoning and the neutral game in general was so much better in that game where you actually had to commit to dashes and advancing moves. I remember playing @cR WoundCowboy 's Sinestro as Bane and was blown away by how good his space control was with that character. Every single fearball he threw out had a purpose to it, that dude was literally stuffing my forward dashes on reaction with fear balls 90% of the time, then when I was conditiined to not dash and slow down the pace and start walking he would start charging trait, but it turns out him charging trait was just a bait to get me to dash because then he would punish my dash again by cancelling into fear ball. Shit was too godlike and it made me realize what real zoning was. Zoning in MKX is dumb, you are not a godlike zoner for throwing out a homing combo starting smart disc and randomly going pew pew pew with no recovery lasers but since people dont have to commit to dashes because of the run button thats basically how zoning has to work in MKX. Shit is dumb

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
honestly in this game you can't be a zoner only with any character. you must combine rushdown footsies and zoning with those characters to prevail.
perfect example is Liu kang, great zoning but, can be broken once timed well. then liu has to utilize his close game rushdown and footsies to get them back out of arms reach.

same goes for Jacqui full auto and many other characters like Tremor, Predator, Quan, Kitana, Kano, Cyrax Sektor and so forth
Tell me one character in one game that does not need to use footsies in zoning.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Tell me one character in one game that does not need to use footsies in zoning.
you say this as if i stated otherwise?

lolo why is everything an argument?

i guess id go with Noob saibot did pretty well with just projectiles.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
In a thread about zoning characters and zoning and only 1 person mentioned Pyro Tanya as a maybe alright zoning character.

When your character is a zoning variation and loses to zoning and rush down what do you do?

Cry. ;-;

I think there are several strong zoners in the game, Acidic included. I've had several people online cuss me out and tell me I'm spamming acid. I think u have to have a backup tho even if u have a zoner because u will run n2 patient opponents who will counter your zone. Shit chech out TS Sabin's Dhalsim. He'll bust your ass inside or from the zone. By the way what the hell is spamming?