What's new

Why Scorpion Sucks

That MU isn’t even bad anymore. He can’t lock her down because TP is a high.

At the highest level one could argue that she wins that MU.
He can just keep running away.....even against Jaded.......he has the full screen spear to harass and can just poof teleport away at any moment. He can pretend to jump in and last minute teleport. Even her zoning variation.....throw a slow projectile .....and he teleports in immediately. When I try to run in full screen even with pole vault......he teleports or neutral jumps. Its an extremely frustrating match up because Jade has very low damage and up close is terrible. Scorpion wins this one.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
He can just keep running away.....even against Jaded.......he has the full screen spear to harass and can just poof teleport away at any moment. He can pretend to jump in and last minute teleport. Even her zoning variation.....throw a slow projectile .....and he teleports in immediately. When I try to run in full screen even with pole vault......he teleports or neutral jumps. Its an extremely frustrating match up because Jade has very low damage and up close is terrible. Scorpion wins this one.
I think Jade is better than Scorpion.

I’m sorry but I stopped reading when you said he can harass with full screen spear.

That went out the window the moment TP was made a high. You can literally neutral crouch Scorpion to death as Jade. All she has to worry about is D4.

EDIT:
If you're trying to zone him in any variation you're wrong.

You should be playing the mid range, so he cant TP.

The only fact about anything you said is her damage being low.

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I can still bait jade. He can still whiff punish with TP. Matchup hasn't changed that much for me out of the ones I've played since the patch. Not even sure why people seem to think scorpion is just throwing out TP's left and right, if they are then they should have been getting blown up to begin with.
Also at full screen it's not like he HAS to TP. While they block or try to neutral duck and wait, he can just close the gap a little etc.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Cherny mostly went over his base moves and I do agree on a lot of his weaknesses he could be more towards the bottom but I dont know. I think hes mid tier, mostly due to the tools he gets from his variations.

He really struggles up close mostly due to the fact that he lacks a fast mid. Unfortunately it seems that fast mids and good close pressure seem to be what the meta revolves around. In his base tool set his mids just aren't very scary.

Imo reborn is still the best way to play this character. It plays to his strengths the best imo. It makes his b2 and f3 both safe hit confirmable launchers at the cost of meter. Tele cancel makes his mids a lot easier to throw out in general.

Tele is still a good tool to whiff punish moves that are active for a long time. I dont think it's useless in neutral, especially offline where it's easier to react.

Imo the character is best played by maintaining a life lead and playing lame af. Full screen tele cancel makes the character pretty safe. I dont think theres any reason to try to play offense with the life lead. Its challenging against some of the cast but its doable imo.

I do ultimately think people think scorpion is a lot better than he is. Honestly I dont think he needed the tele changed to high and d4 could have kept the 5 less frames of recovery. I believe the character was just hard to deal with in netplay mostly with reborn + mid tele.

Last edited:
Cherny mostly went over his base moves and I do agree on a lot of his weaknesses he could be more towards the bottom but I dont know. I think hes mid tier, mostly due to the tools he gets from his variations.

He really struggles up close mostly due to the fact that he lacks a fast mid. Unfortunately it seems that fast mids and good close pressure seem to be what the meta revolves around. In his base tool set his mids just aren't very scary.

Imo reborn is still the best way to play this character. It plays to his strengths the best imo. It makes his b2 and f3 both safe hit confirmable launchers at the cost of meter. Tele cancel makes his mids a lot easier to throw out in general.

Tele is still a good tool to whiff punish moves that are active for a long time. I dont think it's useless in neutral, especially offline where it's easier to react.

Imo the character is best played by maintaining a life lead and playing lame af. Full screen tele cancel makes the character pretty safe. I dont think theres any reason to try to play offense with the life lead. Its challenging against some of the cast but its doable imo.

I do ultimately think people think scorpion is a lot better than he is. Honestly I dont think he needed the tele changed to high and d4 could have kept the 5 less frames of recovery. I believe the character was just hard to deal with in netplay mostly with reborn + mid tele.
It still baffles me that players haven’t figured out that they can poke out of Reborn TP cancel blockstrings free lmao

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I would also argue that jade can give scorpion a hard time. Her staggers are really annoying and she has the range and walk speed to out footsie scorpion. Still scorpion does have a good d4 to counter her highs. D4 on hit can lead to b2 hit confirm.

I play this match a lot and it goes both ways. I do think reborn and searing rage may be the best options against jade. The reason I mention searing rage is because of her low damage output for punishes.

I can still bait jade. He can still whiff punish with TP. Matchup hasn't changed that much for me out of the ones I've played since the patch. Not even sure why people seem to think scorpion is just throwing out TP's left and right, if they are then they should have been getting blown up to begin with.
Also at full screen it's not like he HAS to TP. While they block or try to neutral duck and wait, he can just close the gap a little etc.
scorpion's apparently throwing out tp's left and right is the reason it got nerfed

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
scorpion's apparently throwing out tp's left and right is the reason it got nerfed
I really didn't understand the huge complaints about the original tele. It was annoying but definitely punishable.

You had people like M2Dave here saying "we already know who all the top characters are" in Week Two, when everybody was yelling about Scorpion and Sub being S tier because of tele and 50/50. It was crazy.

Last edited:
I think tele was nerfed to please online scrubs.
Not every change revolves around the competitive meta. Scorpion already did shit in tournament from day 1. If he was that good back then, Hayate wouldn't have gone to Erron. He's been a high risk character from the start, without the oppressive tools to cover for his weak defense.

Teleport and Spear just don't make up for 9f mids, real mixup strings/specials or oppressive zoning tools.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I really didn't understand the huge complaints about the original tele. It was annoying but definitely punishable.

You had people like M2Dave here saying "we already know who all the top characters are" in Week Two, when everybody was yelling bloody murder about Scorpion and Sub being S tier because of tele and 50/50. It was crazy.
The reason as I see it is that scorpion:

1) forced the opponent to play a very very boring style if you wanted the win

2) due to (1) had legions of Mk11 jock riding online warriors rushing to play him

Everyone in this forum knows the Tele as a mid was punishable, and crushed the crap out of scorpion when they played smart, patient, didn't over extend.
But we also know those matches tended to suck balls, and had some of people here dreading the online experience bc of having to play such a potentially fun game such a lame ass way.

Changing it to a high changed that.
Was scorpion mid tier with the mid Tele? Yes
Did he force Mk11 to suck when you played him?
YES

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Actually the complaints about Cetrion since last patch are largely the same reasoning as the hate on scorpion.
They force you to play very very very lame to get the W.

Difference being, there really aren't that many Cetrions and online every other match was a scorpion.

Can those in here thinking it needed to stay a mid actually say they had a fun online experience? It sucked
Imagine KL being 85% cetrion
Were lucky there are way bigger potatoes in this game bc if it was Cetrion League even I would be playing something else right now and I really like this game.

Last edited:

You had people like M2Dave here saying "we already know who all the top characters are" in Week Two, when everybody was yelling about Scorpion and Sub being S tier because of tele and 50/50. It was crazy.
it was literally just online complaints. wifi/bad connections mixed with scorpion teleports into plz nerf