What's new

General/Other - Mileena Why Piercing ?

Typically when I play Mileena, I lean more towards Ravenous or Ethereal. But I see a lot of people saying that piercing is the best of her variations. What makes it good compared to Ravenous or Ethereal ?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Imo it goes ethereal, piercing, and then ravenous. EX fade is such a good tool for defence and pressure that their are very few matchups I would give that up. Piercing gives her the b12 string which is great in footsies as a poke or pressure since it's plus 2 on block. She also gets the b212+4 ender for max damage. I like this variation for matchups where ex fade is not a big factor like grandmaster. Ravenous is probably the weakest imo. All she gets is a pseudo over head that's unsafe, low damaging, and only reliable off one string. The healing is nice but it is not enough to justify the variation for me.

Apologia X

Trump 2020
There's debate on which is better. Recently, Piercing seems to have gained momentum due to SonicFox saying she's A tier. I personally prefer Piercing due to her B12 and low sai. I wish piercing had ethereal's ex fade. She'd be perfect.

Cameronwinss

Hay gurl hay
I love pericing more just bc she doesn't look like Casper the friendly ghosts cousin. She is so pale it's ugly, Only looks nice in Vampiress. And I love B12 and the pressure she has. And the damage I get. Ravenous I kinda like I barely play it. I use Etheral to zone/space out and pericing to do everything else.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Typically when I play Mileena, I lean more towards Ravenous or Ethereal. But I see a lot of people saying that piercing is the best of her variations. What makes it good compared to Ravenous or Ethereal ?
It is debatable to say which is the best between Piercing and Ethereal as they both have good utility across many matchups. I would say it is best to learn all 3 well to give you the flexibility of whatever MU or style of player you come across. As to why people pick Piercing? Damage, B12, Low Sai, can create your own mixups freely (although very risky to do so).

Imo it goes ethereal, piercing, and then ravenous. EX fade is such a good tool for defence and pressure that their are very few matchups I would give that up. Piercing gives her the b12 string which is great in footsies as a poke or pressure since it's plus 2 on block. She also gets the b212+4 ender for max damage. I like this variation for matchups where ex fade is not a big factor like grandmaster. Ravenous is probably the weakest imo. All she gets is a pseudo over head that's unsafe, low damaging, and only reliable off one string. The healing is nice but it is not enough to justify the variation for me.
Would you say that increased healing and a safe b12 on Ravenous would justify the variation for you ?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Would you say that increased healing and a safe b12 on Ravenous would justify the variation for you ?
The healing is fine. My problem with the variation is how unsafe it is. I don't see the point in ending block string with low pounce to be -7 with a gap and like 15 percent on hit when I could spend a bar on ex fade to be plus without a gap and a full combo on hit. If they made pounce -5 so it's actually safe I might look into it but as it stands nothing in ravenous really interests me.

The healing is fine. My problem with the variation is how unsafe it is. I don't see the point in ending block string with low pounce to be -7 with a gap and like 15 percent on hit when I could spend a bar on ex fade to be plus without a gap and a full combo on hit. If they made pounce -5 so it's actually safe I might look into it but as it stands nothing in ravenous really interests me.
Fair enough, dude

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
There's debate on which is better. Recently, Piercing seems to have gained momentum due to SonicFox saying she's A tier. I personally prefer Piercing due to her B12 and low sai. I wish piercing had ethereal's ex fade. She'd be perfect.
If SonicFox believes that, then he should put the tournaments where his mouth his. Not sure if you are just misrepresenting his opinions, but if he can win at least two tournaments of ANY kind using nothing but Mileena....then I will agree. Until then, lol.

Apologia X

Trump 2020
If SonicFox believes that, then he should put the tournaments where his mouth his. Not sure if you are just misrepresenting his opinions, but if he can win at least two tournaments of ANY kind using nothing but Mileena....then I will agree. Until then, lol.
He really did say that. He used her in last week's ESL when there was money on the line so I think that speaks volumes as to how viable he thinks she is.

TheGabStandard

He really did say that. He used her in last week's ESL when there was money on the line so I think that speaks volumes as to how viable he thinks she is.
How many games did he use her in ESL? A serious question as I have not watched NA ESL yet. I am in agreement with @Perdition if he believes he has found something that makes her A/A+ Tier (which I don't believe she is) then I would like him to share what he has found or play her in tournament more often.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Piercing has best footsie and oki game. Longer range of F1 makes it much easier to break armor on wake up. B12 has much better recovery than B22 and can frame trap many characters in this game (be careful, it's very easy to low profile B1). And low sai sometimes can be very annoying, especially against people who are scared of ex roll. I re watch some of my matches against friends and realized low sai can take away ~ 15-30% of their life per round (chip and hit damage).
B212+4 is still a horrible combo ender in most situation though. I switched to piercing two weeks ago and I always do B12 sai or B12 throw as ender

Apologia X

Trump 2020
How many games did he use her in ESL? A serious question as I have not watched NA ESL yet. I am in agreement with @Perdition if he believes he has found something that makes her A/A+ Tier (which I don't believe she is) then I would like him to share what he has found or play her in tournament more often.
He used her in the first round of top 8. I don't think he's going to main her or anything, but maybe she's better than most people think.

TheGabStandard

He used her in the first round of top 8. I don't think he's going to main her or anything, but maybe she's better than most people think.
I will admit that the more I spend time training the more I finding very useful things to make some matchups more bearable, its just she is one of those characters that requires you to do a lot of homework.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Remember he said Batgirl 5-5 Aquaman and MMH. He might be wrong.
When talking about Piercing B1 is the first thing to be mentioned. Yes it's good but only when you use Piercing a lot in many different matchup you'll realize that she has many issues that shouldn't exist. And she struggles in many matchups because her defence sucks.
Btw as a Mileena player I can see that she's still tournament viable, but she is low mid tier because of few winning matchups and many losing matchups, no way she's close to the spot Sonic said she's at.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Remember he said Batgirl 5-5 Aquaman and MMH. He might be wrong.
When talking about Piercing B1 is the first thing to be mentioned. Yes it's good but only when you use Piercing a lot in many different matchup you'll realize that she has many issues that shouldn't exist. And she struggles in many matchups because her defence sucks.
Btw as a Mileena player I can see that she's still tournament viable, but she is low mid tier because of few winning matchups and many losing matchups, no way she's close to the spot Sonic said she's at.
What do you think now?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
What do you think now?
oh god i posted that months ago, since then she's got a million buffs and fixes she needs. B1 is still top 5 mid in the game but in combination with all other tools she has everyone has to respect her, so she can throw out B1 much more often

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
oh god i posted that months ago, since then she's got a million buffs and fixes she needs. B1 is still top 5 mid in the game but in combination with all other tools she has everyone has to respect her, so she can throw out B1 much more often
Im assuming your quote in your bio is a Mileena reference? I tried that...
Got YoloPunished1stHit