Why Noob breaks himself

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Idk about mirrors, but Noob is one of the most broken (if not THE most broken) character in MK history. Best projectile in the game (in a game where projectiles really aren’t very good, so it makes it even that much better). By far the fastest walking speed. Male ninja jabs and anti airs (normals basically). And obviously, he can infinite you from anywhere on the screen from one hit. If Noob gets a single opening that launches you, it’s GG.

Obviously I know you already know this, but people who never played MKT like that probably don’t.

E

Eldriken

Idk about mirrors, but Noob is one of the most broken (if not THE most broken) character in MK history. Best projectile in the game (in a game where projectiles really aren’t very good, so it makes it even that much better). By far the fastest walking speed. Male ninja jabs and anti airs (normals basically). And obviously, he can infinite you from anywhere on the screen from one hit. If Noob gets a single opening that launches you, it’s GG.

Obviously I know you already know this, but people who never played MKT like that probably don’t.
My friends hated me because I used Noob in UMK3 on the SNES and MKT. I didn't play like pros do or anything because I didn't know the game the way they do. But I was just good enough at the game to blow my friends' backs out with pretty much anyone in any fighting game, but I did it the worst with Noob.

Damn near made a bud of mine's cousin quit gaming altogether because he was talking all this mad shit about when he comes to visit, he's gonna whip my ass at the game. Despite my friend warning his cousin, he didn't listen, got steamrolled and pulled an "alright imma head out".

I fully agree that he was probably the most broken MK character in the entire franchise.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
My friends hated me because I used Noob in UMK3 on the SNES and MKT. I didn't play like pros do or anything because I didn't know the game the way they do. But I was just good enough at the game to blow my friends' backs out with pretty much anyone in any fighting game, but I did it the worst with Noob.

Damn near made a bud of mine's cousin quit gaming altogether because he was talking all this mad shit about when he comes to visit, he's gonna whip my ass at the game. Despite my friend warning his cousin, he didn't listen, got steamrolled and pulled an "alright imma head out".

I fully agree that he was probably the most broken MK character in the entire franchise.
He was beyond broken and I remember my teenage years stomping a mudhole in all my friends with the majority of the cast but never being a Noob player myself, someone of minimal skill and motor nerve functions could pick him up and win. At the time I didn't know what a tier list was and I thought it was just based on people being "in the zone" with the characters they were best with.

Still very curious how the Disabler (Ghost Ball) backfires and he flashes himself and.... removes hit limiter and damage protection??? I mean WTF did i just watch @Juggs ? I understand all of what you said but i specifically remember @REO 's exact words were "Noob is so broken he breaks himself"

Also, did i get DCHustle's name wrong?

ded

Elder God
Noob's disabler acts like Sub-Zero's double freeze - if you perform a fireball while the opponent is flashing, it gets backfired. In addition, once the flashing is over, the combo meter resets (even if you are in a middle of a juggle) and removes all previously damage protection and hit limits.

Same happens with his clone throw -> aaHPx2, Clone Throw acts like a hit reset inf

Add the speed (same as Shao Kahn's), ridiculous throw damage, teleport and etc and you get the picture.

Should be noted, that this is for CD versions. Although he is insanely broken in N64 as well (and still God Tier), he kinda differs there.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
He was beyond broken and I remember my teenage years stomping a mudhole in all my friends with the majority of the cast but never being a Noob player myself, someone of minimal skill and motor nerve functions could pick him up and win. At the time I didn't know what a tier list was and I thought it was just based on people being "in the zone" with the characters they were best with.

Still very curious how the Disabler (Ghost Ball) backfires and he flashes himself and.... removes hit limiter and damage protection??? I mean WTF did i just watch @Juggs ? I understand all of what you said but i specifically remember @REO 's exact words were "Noob is so broken he breaks himself"

Also, did i get DCHustle's name wrong?
DC Hustle hasn’t been active in probably 7-8 years. Last time he was active was all the way back in 2010 or 2011 when he went to NEC where me, REO, Crazy Dominican, Shock, LIJoe, Marv, AC, Summonings, Dark Rob, STORMS, NoDoubtArion and everyone was there. He’s a firefighter now and I don’t think he even games any more tbh.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Don't forget MKG Sektor guys, he was the 2nd top contender for most broken char in MK history after MKT Noob :joker:
Even Invisible-Goro couldn't contend with him... "what's this broken shit? You're Goro and you're invisible? No problem I'll just spam up to 3 homing missiles on the screen at once while spamming straight missiles and teleports."

Even the OTHER God-tier characters could barely touch MKG-Sektor

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Don't forget MKG Sektor guys, he was the 2nd top contender for most broken char in MK history after MKT Noob :joker:
There's a couple if we're talking MK history, besides MKT Noob and MKG Sektor. You have the 3D era with Deception Bo Rai Cho and Dairou. Some would probably argue MK 9 Kabal, KL and Cyrax but hell I'd throw MK 11 Geras up there as well. They'd definitely make my top 10 most broken MK characters list for sure.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There's a couple if we're talking MK history, besides MKT Noob and MKG Sektor. You have the 3D era with Deception Bo Rai Cho and Dairou. Some would probably argue MK 9 Kabal, KL and Cyrax but hell I'd throw MK 11 Geras up there as well. They'd definitely make my top 10 most broken MK characters list for sure.
This is ridiculous. Geras is absolutely nowhere near MK9 Kabal and Cyrax. And while good, MK9 Lao is not considered broken.

MKF30

This is ridiculous. Geras is absolutely nowhere near MK9 Kabal and Cyrax. And while good, MK9 Lao is not considered broken.
It's not ridiculous, it's fact. Geras is broken, period. I've beaten Kabal and Cyrax with mid tiers all the time in MK 9 with guys like Sektor, Ermac and Scorpion. Want me to show you again? Good luck beating Geras with a mid in MK 11, haha. MK 9 KL was patched a bunch of times because he was broken, at the end he wasn't as OP stupid as vanilla MK 9 KL but still very OP, he was the braindead character of MK 9. You must be a Geras player or you don't recognize the flaws of MK 11. But hey I'll believe you once you show me lower tiered characters beating Geras.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It's not ridiculous, it's fact. Geras is broken, period. I've beaten Kabal and Cyrax with mid tiers all the time in MK 9 with guys like Sektor, Ermac and Scorpion. Want me to show you again? Good luck beating Geras with a mid in MK 11, haha. MK 9 KL was patched a bunch of times because he was broken, at the end he wasn't as OP stupid as vanilla MK 9 KL but still very OP, he was the braindead character of MK 9. You must be a Geras player or you don't recognize the flaws of MK 11. But hey I'll believe you once you show me lower tiered characters beating Geras.
This is delusional. Geras is top tier -- he is nowhere near broken. And he is absolutely nothing on the level of MK9 Kabal and Cyrax. Kabal 9-1'ed and 8-2'ed much of the cast. And Cyrax was doing 60-90% on a touch.

Lao had already been dealt with by September 2011. He was good throughout the rest of the game's life, but he was definitely not broken.

This makes me question if you actually took MK9 seriously at all.

MKF30

This is delusional. Geras is top tier -- he is nowhere near broken. And he is absolutely nothing on the level of MK9 Kabal and Cyrax. Kabal 9-1'ed and 8-2'ed much of the cast. And Cyrax was doing 60-90% on a touch.

Lao had already been dealt with by September 2011. He was good throughout the rest of the game's life, but he was definitely not broken.

This makes me question if you actually took MK9 seriously at all.
Its not delusional, to deny geras being busted is delusional. I did take it quite seriously actually, I was legit 2nd on player rank leaderboard on xbox and competed and best everyone from "pro players" to Sonic fox and forever swagger, i took on everyone in that game and there wasnt anyone I couldn't take in my prime.

Cyrax was overrated hardly won any majors. KL that's why i said vanilla that means when the game first comes out was broken. By the time the game ended he wasnt as much but still very, very good.

I wonder if you knew how to play mk 9 tbh because if you did youd know theres ways to beat kabal, cyrax etc. You could literally poke out of kabals dash cancel pressure and could even be zoned I did it all the time with sektor and ermac. Wasnt easy but easier than trying to beat geras with an equally mid tier character. Want to prove me wrong? Show me any mids or lows variations beating geras, I'll wait.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Its. ot delusional, to deny geras being busted is delusional. I did take it quite seriously actually, I was legit 2nd on player rank leaderboard I took on everyone in that game. Cyrax was overrated hardly won any majors. KL that's why i said vanilla that means when the game first comes out was broken. By the time the game ended he wasnt as much but still very, very good.

I wonder if you knew how to play mk 9 tbh because if you did youd know theres ways to beat kabal, cyrax etc. You could literally poke out of kabals dash cancel pressure and could even be zoned I did it all the time with sektor and ermac. Wasnt easy but easier than trying to beat geras with an equally mid tier character. Want to prove me wrong? Show me any mids or lows variations beating geras, I'll wait.
Sept. 2011 wasn't "By the game the game ended". It was 5 months after release. And the competitive meta didn't hit maturity until very late in 2011 until 2012, mostly because we didn't even have a full set of frame date until Somberness finished posting it in early 2012.

Also, everyone knows that online play in MK9 was considered completely different than offline tourney-level play. No serious events were held online back then, because it wasn't even considered viable. Trying to play Kabal (or any other execution-heavy character) under a mountain of delay is not the same. Absolutely no one would take "I beat a random Kabal with Sektor online in MK9 ranked" seriously for matchup proof.

MKF30

Sept. 2011 wasn't "By the game the game ended". It was 5 months after release. And the competitive meta didn't hit maturity until very late in 2011 until 2012, mostly because we didn't even have a full set of frame date until Somberness finished posting it in early 2012.

Also, everyone knows that online play in MK9 was considered completely different than offline tourney-level play. No serious events were held online back then, because it wasn't even considered viable. Trying to play Kabal (or any other execution-heavy character) under a mountain of delay is not the same. Absolutely no one would take "I beat a random Kabal with Sektor online in MK9 ranked" seriously for matchup proof.
That can be said about anything online especially FG's...

I'm talking about by the time the game died compared to when it first hit, everyone knew Lao was busted at first and wanted him nerfed. Prime example everyone from perfect legend to justin wong used him then as time went on wasnt as popular except for perfect legend. Online ha everyone practically used him when they wanted to win. And pretty sure Kabal wasn't 9-1, 10-1 etc what? No he wasn't. You make him seem unbeatable, he was not unbeatable.

It was still good enough to get an idea and if anything online made kabal better you do know this right? So if anything it's a better feat doing that online with sektor than offline with no latency. Online is not the same with any game even mk 11 in case you're unaware

Last edited:

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
@CrimsonShadow actually no, MK9 Kabal did not 9-1/8-2 most of the cast. In fact, he doesn't 9-1 anyone.
check the latest MK9 MU chart here (dated october 2017)
He only 8-2s 3 characters. Thing is Kabal consistently was a 6-4 against most characters (and to a lesser extent, specifically 9 chars, 7-3) and had no losing MUs or 5-5s. It's a main reason he's seen as more "broken" (I'd argue cheap is the better term, I save broken for cases like MKG Sektor and MKT Noob, who genuinely make the game unplayable) than Kenshi and Sonya despite them (according to the latest MU chart from 2017) outperforming Kabal in several MUs.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
@CrimsonShadow actually no, MK9 Kabal did not 9-1/8-2 most of the cast. In fact, he doesn't 9-1 anyone.
check the latest MK9 MU chart here (dated october 2017)
He only 8-2s 3 characters. Thing is Kabal consistently was a 6-4 against most characters (and to a lesser extent, specifically 9 chars, 7-3) and had no losing MUs or 5-5s. It's a main reason he's seen as more "broken" (I'd argue cheap is the better term, I save broken for cases like MKG Sektor and MKT Noob, who genuinely make the game unplayable) than Kenshi and Sonya despite them (according to the latest MU chart from 2017) outperforming Kabal in several MUs.
Even on this list he's got twelve matchups that are 8-2 or 7-3, and has no matchups he does not win. He wins evey matchup in the entire game. That's insane, and Geras is not even in the same category.

I don't even think this is up for debate. There's absolutely no character in MK11 on that level.

Last edited:

MKF30

Geras has winning match ups from what I can tell. What are his "bad" matchups exactly?

Last edited:

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
Geras has winning match ups from what I can tell. What are his "bad" matchups exactly?
On my chart i have him losing to Johnny and Jacqui, and 9 other mus that are 5-5.
So yeah, he’s definitely more broken than kabal who didn’t go even against anyone and had 7-3s and 8-2s across the board. :confused: