What's new

Why nobody hates Kung Lao

1. He has one of the coolest and most iconic weapons in the franchise not found in any other forms of media, and he wears it on his head. It was designed after Oddjob from the James Bond franchise, whom I have countless memories of 1-hit killing people as him in James Bond: Nightfire. I asked my super casual game friend who only plays Fortnite who her favourite MK character is and she said Kung Lao over Scorpion/Sub Zero/Raiden/Johnny Cage/Sonya/Kitana/Mileena. I asked why and she said it was mainly due to his weapon.

2. He represents the Shaolin. Why is this important? Because while the franchise has gone all over the place from militant Sonya to magical Ermac, there's nothing quite like the ancient martial arts and making them look bad ass by putting them into a videogame and combining them with other powers such as fireballs and teleports. What better way than by having a character doing one of the most stylish and show-offy martial arts in fast and furious, Shaolin style.

3. He's just a skilled warrior. He isn't Earthrealm's champion Liu Kang who won 4 tournaments, or Raiden's chosen one Johnny Cage blessed with god-like green powers. He is a pacifist trained under Bo Rai Cho, but proven highly skilled when he took out both Quan Chi and Shang Tsung in tournament (until Shao Kahn snapped his neck). I see myself as a Kung Lao, someone who wants to train hard under great fighters to become as skilled as the great fighters I look up to.

4. He has no quarrel with you.

He now has a quarrel with you.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Kung Lao is a great character,would rather have him as a single character poster boy than Scorpeeon. Too bad NRS gave him a inferiority complex in the new games..

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think hate is to strong, but he is defiantly more towards hate than love for me. Yes his od-job hat is cool... but as a character is he just a big nothing. IMO, there is literally nothing about him that is memorable or interesting.. besides his hat and move set. To me he is and always was just Liu Kang-lite.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
He prefers peace unless Earthrealm is threatened.. according to the wiki anyway. And I think one of the older arcade endings
Oh ok. Pacifist with a razor blade hat seemed funny to me is all. Lao is fucking brutal, he has had some of the worst (best) fatalities.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think hate is to strong, but he is defiantly more towards hate than love for me. Yes his od-job hat is cool... but as a character is he just a big nothing. IMO, there is literally nothing about him that is memorable or interesting.. besides his hat and move set. To me he is and always was just Liu Kang-lite.
I think the personality they gave him in MK9 and X(through his intros and fight dialogue I mean) was pretty good.

When compared to Liu, conceptually it always seemed like they were two sides of the same coin. Kung Lao was more skilled, but less powerful.

He’s always been a character that I wish I could care about, but his actually moveset has never meshed with me, not even in X where he had a lot of awesome looking strings and combos.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
He's very unique. His arrogant demeanour perfectly fits with the Bruce Lee myth too.
Jet li.

I Think KL represent more the traditional chinese movie flicks from the 90's while Liu Kang still being a Shaolin monk himself he just represents Bruce Lee more.

I Honestly wouldn't mind if Amplified Divekick in MK11 was the kick with no shadow

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jet li.

I Think KL represent more the traditional chinese movie flicks from the 90's while Liu Kang still being a Shaolin monk himself he just represents Bruce Lee more.

I Honestly wouldn't mind if Amplified Divekick in MK11 was the kick with no shadow

He's too outgoing to be Jet Li, but I do agree what Liu was the Bruce knockoff. I more meant the general cockiness that was introduced by Bruce to the westerners.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Literally the ONLY things I've ever disliked about him were 21212 in MK9 and 112124 in MKX. Forever inconsistent for me, but that's probably just because I'm awful.

Kung Lao is an OG. He's always welcome on my roster.
Sheeeeeit, I loved MK9 Lao. So many of the hypest moments in that game came from the Hat Tier.

Literally the ONLY things I've ever disliked about him were 21212 in MK9 and 112124 in MKX. Forever inconsistent for me, but that's probably just because I'm awful.

Kung Lao is an OG. He's always welcome on my roster.
Sheeeeeit, I loved MK9 Lao. So many of the hypest moments in that game came from the Hat Tier.
The rapid strings that are a bitch to do on pad are one of the best parts of Kung Lao because they make you feel like a ninja