What's new

Question - Bojutsu Why no love for bojitsu?

When I first started mkx I played bojitsu and it was a great character to learn to play.

In the current patch I find it odd that people are playing shaolin over bojitsu it seems to me that shaolin lost alot of his safety and now up kick and drop can be punished by the vast majority of the cast. If it's delayed mileena can roll it and scorpion can teleport (haven't checked others but I know there is).

If bojitsu players used b34 as an ender they get similar oki and far better consistency. Shaolin combo's seem to drop the drop part of up kick and drop fairly often.

Bojitsu still has great mobility, jailing instant jump 1, safe ex dive kick, and all the other great normals that shaolin has.
It seems a shame this variation doesn't get much love.

For the loss of chackaram a decent projectile I think the extra about 8% or more on every combo is better.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Shaolin is still stupidly safe and plays the footsies game very well. The problem with Bojutsu is simply that certain zoners give him the worst time. Granted, others give him less of a hard time (Royal Storm/Assassin are actually pretty decent matchups for Bojutsu) but all in all that's probably why you don't see him a ton. Another thing is Bojutsu is actually just straight up harder to play than Shaolin. In Shaolin hitconfirming is absurdly easy, he's still a very safe character. He has a good projectile to contest zoning and along with all of Kung Jin's other tools, it makes for an overall fairly easy character to play. However Bojutsu, while having some of the easiest combo execution in the game, begins to become a lot harder to play as you fight better and better players. And this isn't even necessarily due to him being bad, it's simply due to what you must do while playing Bojutsu. If you're playing Bojutsu you need to hitconfirm everything or you'll get blown up. You have to be absurdly unpredictable. You need to stagger all your mixups. You need to have more patience against zoning. All in all, while Bojutsu is a great character to start with, he is a pretty high skill character the further up you get in skill.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
The only Kung Jin variation I play is Bojutsu and I have been a huge advocate of this character being so much better than people are giving credit. He was more than just stupid armor with good 50/50's. Bojutsu is actually a super scary force to be reckoned with in the right hands and I think more people need to understand that. He isn't just a worse Shaolin, he is his own character with his own strengths. You just need to tap into those strengths effectively or he's going to look like a trash tier character.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
For the kind of character Bojutsu is, he doesn't get picked up by many nowadays because some would argue other characters and variations can do the same things he can do but better. However, Bojutsu is easily one of the top picks for beginners of the game; very easy learning curve.

I just find it weird seeing king Jin players getting opening people up with staggers and barely getting rewarded for it. Then whenever they delayed the drop of up kick and drop they get punished.

Parasurama

Dragon
Shaolin is still stupidly safe and plays the footsies game very well. The problem with Bojutsu is simply that certain zoners give him the worst time. Granted, others give him less of a hard time (Royal Storm/Assassin are actually pretty decent matchups for Bojutsu) but all in all that's probably why you don't see him a ton. Another thing is Bojutsu is actually just straight up harder to play than Shaolin. In Shaolin hitconfirming is absurdly easy, he's still a very safe character. He has a good projectile to contest zoning and along with all of Kung Jin's other tools, it makes for an overall fairly easy character to play. However Bojutsu, while having some of the easiest combo execution in the game, begins to become a lot harder to play as you fight better and better players. And this isn't even necessarily due to him being bad, it's simply due to what you must do while playing Bojutsu. If you're playing Bojutsu you need to hitconfirm everything or you'll get blown up. You have to be absurdly unpredictable. You need to stagger all your mixups. You need to have more patience against zoning. All in all, while Bojutsu is a great character to start with, he is a pretty high skill character the further up you get in skill.

I agree. Bojutsu was the character I played while my Liu Kang was not ready. Zoners are a problem for him (more than Shaolin), but not as bad as some others due to the flying kick. Otherwise he plays MKX. Thanks to the the overhead nerf and new patch, his 50-50 is weaker, but his B1 and B2 still controls space, but I think that real reason to play him is meterless damage which he surpasses Shaolin. I learned hit confirming for Bojutsu and now use it for all characters. I play all variations and they all seem similar. I don't think KJ is top tier but they can all compete with top tiers and have pro's and cons.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Meterlessly yea he has the best damage which honestly outside of Shaolin, you should only really be doing meterless damage since in Ancestral metered is non existent and in Bojutsu it's not quite worth it.
Ancestral can get stupid damage in the corner can't he? Like 40 something percent meterless. Breh. Plus he can end a combo in F3 and get a free reload

Assassin gives him hard time, she beats him at least 6/4

Really? Hm, i've never had a ton of issues in that matchup. Maybe my opponent just played it wrong.
Kitana has all the tools to shut down Bojutsu, laming him out with zoning, building meter for the time you hit a wall being able to assassin impale out and reverse position, he lost hes armored launcher like most characters did, hes run isnt fast, and has the slowest jump in the game, he can only be unsafe traying to get in with hes flying kick, hes options are limited.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
theres a bojitsu player on pc that is absolutely filthy. cant think of his name atm. hes in the top 10 for wins i believe

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I used to hate this variation so much. Free safe damage, every tool in the game, mile long njp.
It fell off against all the worse shit I guess.
In a perfect world King Jim is still broke as fuck.

EDIT: That is to say - Play him. He's good. Viable. Can place top 8. If any of the really good players had a passion for him I'm sure he'd be placing.

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
If anything I'm questioning why people aren't using Ancestral. You can play safe with him now and he has the best zoning and he gets a vortex along with base KJ moves
because if he doesn't have an arrow loaded i can do unsafe 50/50's and worst case scenario i take a little bit of dmg and go eat an ungaranteed 50/50
because his meter drain arrow does 2% dmg
because his dmg arrow does 1% more than quan's meter drain
because his stun arrow still has a time limit
he's better than he was and if you're sticking to playing only kung jin, there's match ups where i'd use him but there's just too much unnecessary weaknesses he has. If they fixed everything i mentioned he still won't be top 10

TheGangstaFace

because if he doesn't have an arrow loaded i can do unsafe 50/50's and worst case scenario i take a little bit of dmg and go eat an ungaranteed 50/50
because his meter drain arrow does 2% dmg
because his dmg arrow does 1% more than quan's meter drain
because his stun arrow still has a time limit
he's better than he was and if you're sticking to playing only kung jin, there's match ups where i'd use him but there's just too much unnecessary weaknesses he has. If they fixed everything i mentioned he still won't be top 10
Meter drain is good for zoning cuz of the block stun and round enders and yeah there's a timer but when I watch Gunshow play, it doesn't look like he has a hard time getting a stun arrow out at all

omooba

fear the moobs
Meter drain is good for zoning cuz of the block stun and round enders and yeah there's a timer but when I watch Gunshow play, it doesn't look like he has a hard time getting a stun arrow out at all
Good yes but my point is quan zones with it better. And I haven't seen him play but the problem isn't getting it out. It's how they play against you when you don't have it out. The risk reward becomes much more in your favor cus he can't punish. My point is you're not getting enough stuff to warrant this weakness

TheGangstaFace

Good yes but my point is quan zones with it better. And I haven't seen him play but the problem isn't getting it out. It's how they play against you when you don't have it out. The risk reward becomes much more in your favor cus he can't punish. My point is you're not getting enough stuff to warrant this weakness
Quan and Kung Jin are completely different characters. And I've played against Ancestrals. Youre making it sound like it's too hard to get out when it's not that bad