What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Why Kenshi's reflect is the coolest move in the game (EU MK Cup Highlight!)

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Sorry but Kitana's reflect is cooler
And that string is not that hard to react to reflect (it's like a slow mid hitting projectile)

i'm trying to compile a list of reflectable brutalities.

heres a list of all the projectile brutalities in the game. yes afterwards means its possible to get a brutality after a reflect and a question mark means its unknown.

cassie: gun shot - yes
ermac: soul ball follow up - no
erron black: stand off into spin shot - yes
jacqueline: ex missile followup after machine gun - ?
kitana: glaive toss - yes
kotal: sword and sunstone toss - no
kung jin: air arrow - no, bojutsu fireball - ?, straight arrow - yes, chakram toss - yes (both head and feet)
kung lao: hat toss - yes to all 3, ex anti air hat toss - no
liu kang: air fireball - yes
quan chi: ground skull - yes
predator: plasma cannon - yes
reptile: acid spit - yes
scorpion: fireball - no
shinnok: dark beam/amulet blast - yes
sub zero: ice blast & uppercut - no
tanya: devil dust + ex fireball - yes but only with brutality combat modifier
tremor: rock toss-yes, rolling stone - yes (she even mimics his brutality win pose)

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Do the English not know the definition of "literally"? I hear that word misused about 20 times every time I watch any sort of UK MKX stream.
It's more or less slang now really, besides you guys pronounce and spell all sorts of shit completely wrong and it's OUR language anyway so don't sweat it ;)

Pound IC

Noob
It isn't a misuse. The word 'literally' has been used as an intensifier since the late 17th century. The dictionary also supports its use as an intensifier.

If the word has been used that way for over 300 years and has a supporting entry in the dictionary, I think it's fair to say it's a valid use of the word.

I'm replying because it's a pet peeve of mine when people claim the word literally is being used incorrectly, when it literally is not. Unless it's Archer.
See, the problem is that most people don't use it in literally any sensible way, they just literally use it completely randomly. From your dictionary source: "the use is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary." It frustrates me that it is so often literally used when there's literally no point to it. The word has been literally cheapened to be literally useless. Literally.

It isn't a misuse. The word 'literally' has been used as an intensifier since the late 17th century. The dictionary also supports its use as an intensifier.

If the word has been used that way for over 300 years and has a supporting entry in the dictionary, I think it's fair to say it's a valid use of the word.

I'm replying because it's a pet peeve of mine when people claim the word literally is being used incorrectly, when it literally is not. Unless it's Archer.
This is the link you used:

literally (adv.)
1530s, "in a literal sense," from literal + -ly (2). Erroneously used in reference to metaphors, hyperbole, etc., even by writers like Dryden and Pope, to indicate "what follows must be taken in the strongest admissible sense" (1680s), which is opposite to the word's real meaning and a long step down the path to the modern misuse of it. "We have come to such a pass with this emphasizer that where the truth would require us to insert with a strong expression 'not literally, of course, but in a manner of speaking', we do not hesitate to insert the very word we ought to be at pains to repudiate; ... such false coin makes honest traffic in words impossible." [Fowler, 1924]

So, your link says using "literally" in reference to hyperbole is erroneous misuse. Fowler's quote is perfect. If this word we have to signify "actually, without exaggeration" is degraded to mean the opposite, then how does one easily communicate "actually, without exaggeration," Sir? Besides, even if literary figures like Dryden or Pope would misuse "literally" once upon a time for poetic effect (they were poets, after all), that isn't the same as the widespread misuse in common parlance that is fairly recent and not in the context of poetry.