What's new

Why is this game 3 outta 5?

Wavy

Block Spammer
Dude seriously please pls. The only way you can have an 11min 3-0 is if all 3 matches almost go to time.
That's not entirely true. 3-0 took 11 minutes and some change in chyna v facelessman in pools as an example. Only one of their matches reached 15 seconds left, the others were about ~90 iirc. It was still dreadfully long and that was only 1 match going near timer. God knows how much longer it wouldve been with all 3 going near max.

The timer is the issue here. 3/5 should stay. 180 seconds at evo sounds like a great start.

Last edited:

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Dude seriously please pls. The only way you can have an 11min 3-0 is if all 3 matches almost go to time, which is extremely rare but shouldn't hold up brackets badly as long as bracket runners aren't letting setups sit there empty for 10min-1hr, but they let that happen every single pool every time.

But fuck all that logic, somehow it's all the fault of 3/5 because of a bunch of made up shit I'm going to repeat. Nothing to do with very big very fixable, easy errors that if improved upon even 10% would drastically reduce the time it takes to do pools.

I've been in the airport since noon on delay #4 so I'm a little cranky btw.
inf

My number was exaggerated but Infinitii's match was 8 minutes as Catwoman, Fox vs. King was 9 minutes long. These happened.

People are talking about how the length isn't an issue in I2 instead of how length was an issue in IGAU and MKX which necessitated the need for 3/5. MK9 didn't need it because it wasn't filled with the bullshit of those games and I2 has decreased a ton of that nonsense and will further decrease it with patches and as players figure the game out. Sure, something more broken may come but there is literally nothing that points to why I2 NEEDS to be 3/5. The health bar is the best argument but at this point it's what the community wants opposed to the game needing it.

I've been at the airport since 11 last night minus a 3 hour hang out. I'm not going off on anyone.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Compbros is triggering me so bad but it's fine because it's gonna stay 3/5 as it should.

You might be the only person who travels and competes, who thinks 2/3 is fine.

Never said it was fine, never said it wasn't. I'm torn between the two, I prefer 3/5 but I'd like that for all games I play. I'm saying that I've gotten few reasons as to why it needs to be 3/5 beyond the community wanting it. We've come from two games that needed it and I voiced changing it to 3/5 all the time even at my locals. MKX I knew it needed to be 3/5 by the time Combo Breaker hit. This game I'm not feeling that same necessity, just what I prefer.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
With ~20% damage on block for 1 bar (3dent rush cough cough) and combos that you can execute with 1 hand holding a Fidgetspinner , 3/5 looks good to me.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
With ~20% damage on block for 1 bar (3dent rush cough cough) and combos that you can execute with 1 hand holding a Fidgetspinner , 3/5 looks good to me.

But that'll be unquestionably toned down. So what happens when Adam's damage is hit, trident rush becomes more negative or does less chip, Dex-Starr charges slower/goes away quicker and/or his 50/50 gets hit, and other top tiers get toned down. The game is still unfamiliar and quick paced because of it but as things develop and people learn more the pace will slow down.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
But that'll be unquestionably toned down. So what happens when Adam's damage is hit, trident rush becomes more negative or does less chip, Dex-Starr charges slower/goes away quicker and/or his 50/50 gets hit, and other top tiers get toned down. The game is still unfamiliar and quick paced because of it but as things develop and people learn more the pace will slow down.
We don't know if these changes will come and NRS hasn't spoken about them.
Since 1st Injustice and after that MKX , NRS games award uncoordinated abusive mix up close range style of play where even a good play cannot survive (you can see that people like Madzin get into top 8 with that).
3 out of 5 is good.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Honestly ft2 is just disgusting. I don't see how you can compete and be okay with it. One game to try your character and then switch? So many sets people stick out their main and make the adaption and it makes for more intense and interesting sets. And people are spending money out here. Ft2 is way too short. I'm down with lowering the timer to 180 for sure though. I think the time at 240 is stupid. Why's the clock even there?

Edit: I actually timed out a cat woman in pools Lololol. So yes, 1 match was that entire clock

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Who would be like "OH HYPE ITS GOING TO GAME 3!" Lol. Tekken is way different. It's ft3 in one match, so ft2 makes sense

trufenix

bye felicia
Never said it was fine, never said it wasn't. I'm torn between the two, I prefer 3/5 but I'd like that for all games I play. I'm saying that I've gotten few reasons as to why it needs to be 3/5 beyond the community wanting it. We've come from two games that needed it and I voiced changing it to 3/5 all the time even at my locals. MKX I knew it needed to be 3/5 by the time Combo Breaker hit. This game I'm not feeling that same necessity, just what I prefer.
No disrespect intended, but given the wishy washyness of even your conviction, I feel this entire line of discussion is unwarranted. CEO was (as far as I can tell, feel free to tell me otherwise) one of the most effective tournaments we've had in terms of hype, competition, and viewership. Maybe in the hypothetical "when people figure out the mu" future this discussion will need to be had, but you could just as easily say "when people figure out how to run 3/5" tourneys just as easily.

This just seems like stirring the pot on a maybe, and I personally think the pot is doing just fine.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
No disrespect intended, but given the wishy washyness of even your conviction, I feel this entire line of discussion is unwarranted. CEO was (as far as I can tell, feel free to tell me otherwise) one of the most effective tournaments we've had in terms of hype, competition, and viewership. Maybe in the hypothetical "when people figure out the mu" future this discussion will need to be had, but you could just as easily say "when people figure out how to run 3/5" tourneys just as easily.

This just seems like stirring the pot on a maybe, and I personally think the pot is doing just fine.

None taken, my head is basically at what I prefer vs. what the game needs. I prefer 3/5 but I personally feel the game isn't going to need that very soon. As things get more figured you you're gonna see less dominating games and more extended sets. Marvel vs. Capcom is a great example of this, it's a game with a ton of bullshit that early on people were getting hit by. As the game and meta evolved you see a ton of games going long. RayRay vs. Fchamp in top 8 at CEO went almost 14 minutes for a game that is the poster child for a need of 3/5. No matter what, because of the potential for happy birthday's and x-factor Marvel 3 needs 3/5, the mechanics of the game demand it. I can't say that Injustice 2 demands it. All communities want 3/5 AFAIK and, again, I prefer it, but some games just don't need it and I'm already feeling that with I2.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I don't think anyone would prefer less games, neither competitor nor viewer nor developer nor sponsor. So why even consider it until someone actually complains?

Who's gonna "complain" though? As you said, the majority prefer 3/5 but not all games need it. I'm sure SFV players would love 3/5 but the game doesn't necessitate it because there's not enough bullshit. Games with a ton of nonsense you could scrub out a win or two. One bad assist call in Marvel 3 and you could be down a game before you know it. I think right now someone could scrub out 2 wins because of unfamiliarity as opposed to mechanics but within a few months I don't see it.

trufenix

bye felicia
Who's gonna "complain" though? As you said, the majority prefer 3/5 but not all games need it.
I believe the core difference in our opinion here is that you're somehow assigning "need" to the match count. I don't know what criteria of need you think 2/3 satisfies that 3/5 does not.

Can you tell me why we need 2/3 when 3/5 has yet to cause a problem?