What's new

Why is this game 3 outta 5?

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
it's not about how quickly you die or how 50/50 heavy the game is. It's about the life bar reset. sf5 gets a life bar reset between rounds so each game is a legit best 2 out of 3 with same meter bar. same thing with tekken, each round is a new life bar. we don't get a life bar reset which is why 3/5 is perfect and should definitely stay that way.

idk why y'all are complaining about it being a huge time soak like bruh the more i see of my game the better and the more time they get to adjust the better. the point is to see who the better player is. more games is never a bad thing

The life bar is the only thing that gives me pause right now but you can't use only that as mkx had reset lifebar and was 3/5. To me it's about the speed at which a game can end on average. MKX/IGAU could end in a blink, Marvel can end in a blink, I2 has options to prevent it ending in a flash. Tekken for YEARS was 3/5 rounds and 3/5 games, even Tekken Tag 2 which had 2 life bars where you had to deplete one.

Am I complaining? I'm trying to open discussion. Sure I could've put "should it be 2/3" but I think I made my points clear. Rn there's still too much newness to not be 3/5 but as things are toned down and the meta evolves the game will slow down. This game simply isn't as fast as MKX or IGAU.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
As someone who has spectated a few tournaments I agree, simply because the matches seem long and drawn out which makes it boring. If I was playing the game I would probably have different thoughts.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
If you would prefer to lose 0-2 just when you finally downloaded your opponent, be my guest.

What if it would take you 3 games to download the opponent, why not 4/7? See how that works? Each person is different and their adjustment differs. I've personally benifitted from 3/5 in my match against Whiteboi at CEO, doesn't mean I'm not open to discussion on changing it.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
wtf dude. you are a tournament player and would rather leave it to chance? this game has to be 3/5 man. really messed up opinion and im confused.
It's not chance. Listen to me closely: 3/5 is fine for now but as things start getting fleshed out and other things toned down the randomness and chance will decrease.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
If you would prefer to lose 0-2 just when you finally downloaded your opponent, be my guest.
IMAGINE feeling bad for a guy getting blown up 2-0. This is part of the skill of playing in a tournament.

CEO would not have had a much different result if pools were 2/3. Those who can play under the pressure would have survived and those who couldn't, wouldn't.

Has there ever been a 2/3 tourney in any nrs game where the results became "random?" I didn't think so. Good on OP for asking, I've been wondering myself

Tweedy

Noob
You guys aren't going to win this lol. 3/5 is here to stay and the right people who would sit here and argue this aren't on this site.

Start this thread on twitter instead. Guys like Kinghippo are out of touch.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
You know, when people have blown up TYM I've always defended it like them just being idiotic and bias towards the community but people really can be dicks here. Im trying to get a discussion going and posts like " make it first hit wins" is sarcastic bullshit that isn't needed.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You know, when people have blown up TYM I've always defended it like them just being idiotic and bias towards the community but people really can be dicks here. Im trying to get a discussion going and posts like " make it first hit wins" is sarcastic bullshit that isn't needed.
People in general are sarcastic assholes. It's really nothing new lol.

I agree with you btw. I don't mind 3/5 at all but it's not necessary and I highly doubt major results would change if pools were made 2/3. Only thing is there have been some hype reverse sweeps in pools which I would prefer to stay.

That being said I don't see it getting switched unless it routinely disrupts tournament flow, which it doesn't seem to be doing yet. We'll just have to see what happens.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Hey guys, Wizard's willing to trade 3/5 for 180 second matches and I see no problem with that. It'll help tremendously with time.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/876863715295072256
In my head I feel like 180 is still too much. I know the beta had 90's and we got a lot of time outs.
Something close to 120 seems about right?

But honestly since the timer is set to 240 I never ever look at it, so I haven't been paying attention to how long an average match lasts.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
FUCK YOU COMPBROS I DONT WANT TO BE MAD AT YOU BUT YOU'RE MAKING IT SOOOOOOOOOOO HARDDDDDDD RN

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Less time for my opponent to get in? Well shit... im about to start playing Deadshot seriously then! If thats what yall want, then okay im game. :DOGE

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hey guys, Wizard's willing to trade 3/5 for 180 second matches and I see no problem with that. It'll help tremendously with time.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/876863715295072256
This absolutely should be the standard. 180 is plenty of enough time. I've never seen a time out in Injustice 2 and I also never even seen it come close to a time out. It's like the timer isn't even a factor which is kinda ridiculous.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
In my head I feel like 180 is still too much. I know the beta had 90's and we got a lot of time outs.
Something close to 120 seems about right?

But honestly since the timer is set to 240 I never ever look at it, so I haven't been paying attention to how long an average match lasts.
Bruh most people aren't going to have the patience to play deep into the timer, I know I sure as hell don't lmao.

However, at CEO during casuals with 180sec timers, I saw A LOT of timeouts and was like wtf until like the 10th time

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Wasn't it 180 seconds at CEO at one point then 240 seconds sometime later in the tournament for no reason?

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
And if it was 2/3 you wouldn't have 11 minute 3-0s.
Dude seriously please pls. The only way you can have an 11min 3-0 is if all 3 matches almost go to time, which is extremely rare but shouldn't hold up brackets badly as long as bracket runners aren't letting setups sit there empty for 10min-1hr, but they let that happen every single pool every time.

But fuck all that logic, somehow it's all the fault of 3/5 because of a bunch of made up shit I'm going to repeat. Nothing to do with very big very fixable, easy errors that if improved upon even 10% would drastically reduce the time it takes to do pools.

I've been in the airport since noon on delay #4 so I'm a little cranky btw.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
And if it was 2/3 you wouldn't have 11 minute 3-0s.
I honestly felt bad for my bracket runner cause my matches always took super long because of how I play. She was trying to watch her friend in marvel top 8 and our pool went over by about 20-30 minutes.

To be fair it started about 15 minutes late because there were a lotta high tier players in other games that had 2 pools going on at the same time.

I think that could be another thing people aren't factoring in right now the number of entrants is super large right now. A lotta of top players from other games are playing multiple games at once. My pool alone had Pr Balrog, Flux, Sleep , and NRS players Rico, MIT, and slayer.