What's new

Question - Kitana Why is so important to know and master instant air fan while playing Kitana?

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Another reason is when you alternate between air and ground fans and one connects when you've input another, you'll get a full combo instead of slapping them to the ground. It's also a bit higher up which helps against jumping.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Zoning. You can throw 2-3 instant air fans before you throw and recover from two. If you happen to be spamming instant fans then you'll notice the first fan will stun the enemy and suspend them midair. The second will bounce them. Then you literally ladder them to the ground with fans. If your Royal Storm you can easily convert the combo will ExLift. Then following with two more fans into ex fans. Hella unbreakable damage.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Faster startup than ground fan, conversions, unbreakable damage potential, controlling different aspects of space etc.
without further expanding this thread, mostly this, with added faster recovery as well.

space control is a must with Kitana if you really want to limit others ppl options while becoming more mobile yourself, besides her j1 is super annoying to deal with.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Just come back to this thread to see people saying the air fan has faster recovery than standing fan.

It actually doesn't.

Now I'm not saying the recovery on air fan is bad and I don't remember precisely how negative it was but I remember when I tested IAF on block up close it was definitely worse than -8.

Now I'm not saying the recovery on air fan is bad and I don't remember precisely how negative it was but I remember when I tested IAF on block up close it was definitely worse than -8.
-14 at the lowest height possible. This was tested by @xKhaoTik
btw, if opponents are already in hit stun, a lot of recovery frames of IAF are cut off

Last edited:
If you get really good with the iafs, you can also use them as an anti air on reaction at virtually any space. Outside of that, every other response ITT pretty much nails it.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
From the other players perspective it's another variable to think about when navigating the fans. And makes the Kitana less rhythmic or predictable. Less free jumping & looks like a easier confirm when alternating between the air and ground fans.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Pretty much what everyone said. Space control, air control, faster, AA, etc.

It's been a main tool of hers since MK2 and you shouldn't use her if you aren't using them.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
How is this a serious question if you know how to use it?
Look at its frame data. Look at the space it occupies.
I always wonder stuff like this. I wonder if people just feel a little insecure and feel the need to try and appear skillful to overcompensate. But yeah, that was my first thought too: how have you incorporated IA fans into your game and not seen for yourself how key they are haha.

The full screen conversions they make possible and ability to get bigger unbreakable damage than some other characters do period alone make them amazing. Never mind the really fast startup when done well and ability to reel em off to build meter.

One thing no one has mentioned is the pure swag factor that goes along with having crisp, truly IA fans on lock. They're sexy.

Plymarco

Worst Kitana ever?
I always wonder stuff like this. I wonder if people just feel a little insecure and feel the need to try and appear skillful to overcompensate. But yeah, that was my first thought too: how have you incorporated IA fans into your game and not seen for yourself how key they are haha.
This is me 100%. Never was any good at the game but i can do iaf with ease so i do them nonstop in game. Im gonna be good at something got dammit

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I
This is me 100%. Never was any good at the game but i can do iaf with ease so i do them nonstop in game. Im gonna be good at something got dammit
I totally understand. I feel like for a lot of people execution is the first thing they can really grind and get proficient at (to an extent) so they go all in there, but don't really understand how to apply the tools they've got. People pick up the game, go to the internet and find combo videos and guides, and then proceed to commit to unsafe combo starters from like 3/4 screen and don't understand why they get bopped.

All the other stuff like spacing, reads, matchup knowledge, meter and stamina awareness, stage knowledge, frames, etc. comes later.

And for the record, I'm not very good at this game, not speaking from the position of someone who has it all put together.

So, I guess I actually do know how someone is capable of doing IA fans but not knowing why they're good haha